How to clean high end wool rug?

Discussion in 'Area Rug Cleaning Forum' started by Mr.Steamer, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +654 / 1 / -0
    Great pictures and what a great tag on it too! Gives face weight in two variations and the pattern Tabriz. Very likely not machine woven, but hand knotted (can't tell from picture). Test for bleeding/crocking but I believe it will be very stable. This rug should be able to be cleaned just about any way you want. I like to vacuum, blow out all I can and flood them with a garden hose with the face fibers down first, extract, flip and repeat. Then clean them, extract, force dry in the sun usually and then treat, comb the fringe as needed. I charge $1-$6 ft² depending on what I'm cleaning for. Fringe is extra depending on natural or white.

2. Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Ratings:
    +654 / 1 / -0
    Here's a pretty good tip for force drying a wool rug. Fold the rug in half and point the blower into the double overed area. This way you are actually drying 3 of the 4 sides very well, flip and repeat ASAP to finish it off. In the sunlight it works really fast.
    20170712_224506.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Ratings:
    +654 / 1 / -0
    I looked at the rug pictures on the computer and not my phone, looks machine made, but looking at the edges of the rug is usually a sure fire way to tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +9,912 / 11 / -1
    Tabriz pattern; wool on cotton foundation. It is machine woven. One way to tell is that the knots are wrapped around the weft threads. Hand-made would usually wrap the knots around the warps.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Ratings:
    +654 / 1 / -0
    Hand knotted rugs fringe usually integral into the foundation. Machine made rugs The Fringe is usually sewn on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ron Tabb

ron Tabb Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Ok So are there any rug plants that have a Moore machine? Pick the rug up bring to them and make 40 cents on the dollar. Rug is returned dry and rolled in paper. 8 x 10
    You should make at least 80 profit or more if you roll up and roll out per rug

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dafloorman

Dafloorman Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +1,461 / 7 / -0
    My local plant charges me for urine treatment/plastic $1.25 per square feet, I charge $4! IMG_1499999863.324035.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    F.A.R.T. = Fabric Analyst & Restoration Technician
    Florida
    Ratings:
    +4,360 / 7 / -0