How to avoid dry water stain after cleaning the upholstery? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How to avoid dry water stain after cleaning the upholstery?

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
Yesterday the customer send me the photos ,when the chair dry the yellow stain appeared on the edge ,old pros ,do you know the reason?Is the water too hard or something else ? I try to acid rinse next time .

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
With delicate fabrics like that rule #1 is you have to get the whole cushion evenly wet and evenly dry. It looks like the edges got way too wet and you didn’t extract well enough.

At this point you want to get some distilled water. Put 3 ounces of your acid rinse in a 32 ounce spray bottle and fill the rest of the bottle with the distilled water. Mist the acid rinse solution on just enough to evenly wet the cushion then take a white towel and towel it off really good. I’d then put a fan on it to speed dry. If done properly the cushion should be dry within 15 minutes or so and all the yellow should be gone.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
Do what Todd said to fix it!!
And use a rinse, to stop it happening again
And then for insurance use fans!!!
The faster your work(Carpet/upholstery) dries the better
FLEX ICE is amazing!!! Sometimes you can get away with just cleaning with the flex ice in the rinse!!!

Reactions: Scott W

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
You've already gotten some great advice. Not overwetting in the first place is fundamental. Use either a good sprayer to evenly wet the fabric with a good upholstery pre-conditioner or fine fabric shampoo. Yes, you can prespray shampoo. You can also use a sea sponge or the synthetic sponge sold by Interlink with some fine fabric shampoo to control the amount of wetness in the first place. I LOVE this method! You can go anywhere from a very dry foam like @Joe cool said or up to moderately wet shampoo, never overdo it. Then simply follow by low moisture, even dry extraction, and sometimes just towels.

I often take microfiber and towel off the piece for extra measure if I think it's needed. That evenly distributes any remaining moisture, speeds drying considerably, and lets you get into rough or uneven places like buttons or very narrow ridges. I always use either just plain water or an acid rinse for all my cleaning. Acid rinse is definitely preferable on natural fibers and helps to prevent the above problem as well. I personally find no need for detergents, period. I wished someone had told me this stuff when I was starting out!:)

Reactions: Allred and Scott W