Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
It sounds like your son is already leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of young men his age! He will probably be great at whatever he does.

Nothing like instilling a strong work ethic into our youngsters.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Being that he is your son and it is a family business, MOST of the federal labor laws will not apply to him. Especially after he is 16. If you are worried about it have him get his own bizz liscense, insurance etc and open up his own shop per sey....Be good for him to learn anyways.
WRONG!!

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I strongly recommend that you go down to your city office and contact your states fair employment Office.
Talk to them.

I am really impressed with your son.

Teach him to always do things correctly.
He will always admire you for that.

In california a minor can work but the laws are strict as to how many hours and having a work permit.
You must have a work permit for a minor in the Bay area its required.
He will also be required to have a time card, insurance and workers comp insurance.
Since you are his guardian Why would you not protect your son? Its the best thing and example you can set upon him.

You should have a employee handbook written and should respect him as a employee but you can always treat him as your son (hopefully you treat him good).

Have a paper work, application and w- forms for taxes on file.
working with family is awesome. My sons help me here and there and they really enjoy how I have them set up in the business. One is going to college but will be doing part time. He technically should not be getting benefits but hes my son and hes covered. My other son is eager to work with me but I have him on restricted duties and limited work hours until hes a legal adult. Both enjoy working with their old man I do too.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I believe that your own kids can work with you without restriction.
This loop hole exists because of farmers and getting the work done during harvest or planting seasons, where its all hands on deck.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Don't know of any state that will let a 16 year old enter any legal contract.
Insurance is a legal contract.
If your required to get a bond don't see any company issuing one.
I know that their medical records are at that time not disclosed to anyone unless the 16 year old signs off but if they need surgery then the parents must give approval.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I believe that your own kids can work with you without restriction.
This loop hole exists because of farmers and getting the work done during harvest or planting seasons, where its all hands on deck.
Agree, but having a 16 year old running the route and doing the work as owner/operator sure you could do it but it would not be legal.

Reactions: sbsscn

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Dudes about 17 now another year and he’s clear. I’d keep him along side me working till then under the radar. Especially in that state. I grew up working on construction sites. My uncles guys driving me out of state to renovate holiday inns and howard Johnson hotels on a daily basis. One in Nj the other in Newark Del. my dad was in the one in Baltimore. My uncle traveled to each site throughout the day and usually brought me a lunch. But i was under his crews watch most of the day. I was about 13. But then again it was back when we were also riding in the backs of pickup trucks with no seats and cops would wave to you as we past them. Different times different rules.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Here in california, its the employers responsibility to buy workers comp insurance. The employee does not sign any contract. Its allowed for minors to work, Students do this all of the time and the law requires the employer to follow the law, the minor is required to have a work permit and parental consent.

I agree You can wait till hes a legal adult or as mentioned check with your state or talk to a fair employment attorney

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
California is a communist's country.

My post said most states that are still about freedom your kids get to work the family business

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
If it were 1781, what would your son have to do to :

1. Get on a horse and ride to town ?
2. Open a stable / blacksmith shop • assume papa passed
3. Put a shingle up sayin • XYZ Open for Business
4. Any other such thing • • •

that’s what you do today ! ! !