How old should you be? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How old should you be?

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
I have been cleaning carpets for years. I worked for a company for 6 years and full time on my own for 4 and then do to circumstance I moved and now been working another industry for the past 9-10 years. I have been still cleaning carpets through this time but only a handful a month. My question is my son who is almost 16 years old has obviously grew up around it and goes with me on a lot of my jobs I do. He is a good, smart hard working kid. He is wanting to build up the business once he gets his license. I know states can be different and I’m out in California but is there any problems anyone sees about a young man doing this? Legally or any other problems that can happen? What’s your thoughts on letting him tackle this?

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
Doesn’t really matter. I have two truck-mounts

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
What’s your concern? Him alone as a minor operating a business and Conducting himself on others property alone?

Outside of this why not give him as much latitude as he deserves and can handle to go after what he wants?

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
My concern is not him at all. He is a very mature kid. It’s more the legal part I guess is my main concern.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
My concern is not him at all. He is a very mature kid. It’s more the legal part I guess is my main concern.
My bad you did initially say the legal part is the concern...sorry wish I could be more helpful.

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
But the reason for the thread is not just that. I also would like anything pointed out that may be an issue that I’m missing.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Being that he is your son and it is a family business, MOST of the federal labor laws will not apply to him. Especially after he is 16. If you are worried about it have him get his own bizz liscense, insurance etc and open up his own shop per sey....Be good for him to learn anyways.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
But the reason for the thread is not just that. I also would like anything pointed out that may be an issue that I’m missing.
Your a good dad giving him a leg up my friend. If he were to embrace it and work it in the evenings and weekends while maintaining his grades and graduation high school, screw college..........................

No reason if he wanted it he could not go it alone or with you and grow a multi turck operation by time he is 21 or 22 and a DEBT FREE millionaire by time he is in his mid 20s. Bout the time his friends and peers will just be graduation college after 5 years with 60-100K dollars in debt to pay off.

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Your a good dad giving him a leg up my friend. If he were to embrace it and work it in the evenings and weekends while maintaining his grades and graduation high school, screw college..........................

No reason if he wanted it he could not go it alone or with you and grow a multi turck operation by time he is 21 or 22 and a DEBT FREE millionaire by time he is in his mid 20s. Bout the time his friends and peers will just be graduation college after 5 years with 60-100K dollars in debt to pay off.
Agree about screwing college..IF a kid has an idea or wants to go after something specific.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Dont see anything to be concerned about.

My son started a business at 16 (not cleaning related) and I taught him how to run a business. He is 22 now and last year he did over 600,000 in sales. Last year bought a house and this is his *other* car.
aarons car.JPG

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
I help build a multi million dollar NET cc company in Santa Barbara. 90% of cc's dont have license or insurance.
I'd just write him on as part owner, make him get his own bank accounts etc. And have him work for the business as a 1099 till he turns 18. Make him pay his part of the business, do sales, get insurance, pay for advertising etc etc. Make him a cog in the machine. You can decide what to do after he turns 18. But no matter what I'd keep a part of it, if it were me at least 51% :)

Last edited:

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
Thank you all for all the replies and kind words! Makes me excited for him! He is home schooled and if he wants he can be graduated by 17. There is tons of potential in this area to make lots of money.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I think it’s great that you and him have this mutual opportunity. My only 2 concerns are;

1) Insurance regulations

2) Consumer confidence

Our business insurance will not cover anyone driving under 21. And many customers don’t feel a young teenager can deliver proper service. He will have to overcome that NMOT. Just saying.

Reactions: IluvCleanForums

IluvCleanForums

Feb 17, 2020
Real Name
Ian Riggins
I don't know much about Cali. law but i would have no problem with my child when he turns 16 creating his own business. I just hope someone accompanies him. I don't know much about your area but i know when i was 15-16 even back in the 90's when we rode our bikes in the neighborhood and went to movies with friends unattended (not like today), but even then my father wouldnt send me out to certain areas (even if i was only the asst. tech on the job and had someone with me) because people do crazy things for no reason...especially if they see someone they envy....like a young man doing something great on his own....something that not everyone can do...