How often should carpets & furniture be cleaned? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How often should carpets & furniture be cleaned?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I used to get asked this a lot. What’s Your reply?

IMG_1445.JPG

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Since I already asked how long since the last cleaning and the method used if they are a first time customer before I measured, it's easy to give an answer when they ask based on the soil level/appearance.

Reactions: brian3180

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I ALWAYS try to make it look like I am giving unbiased advice so here is my answer.

*if you go to ANY carpet store and pick up a brochure from ANY carpet manufacturer, it will say that if you buy their new carpet, you are required to clean the carpet every 18 or 24 months (depending on who it is) to maintain the warranty. That is good frame of reference to use to determine how often you should clean your carpet. But it also depends on how much use it gets and number of people/pets in the home. I can also say that most of my clients have their carpet cleaned in these timeframes*

I also always make sure to carry a Shaw Warranty brochure with me to show if they ask.

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
I ALWAYS try to make it look like I am giving unbiased advice so here is my answer.

*if you go to ANY carpet store and pick up a brochure from ANY carpet manufacturer, it will say that if you buy their new carpet, you are required to clean the carpet every 18 or 24 months (depending on who it is) to maintain the warranty. That is good frame of reference to use to determine how often you should clean your carpet. But it also depends on how much use it gets and number of people/pets in the home. I can also say that most of my clients have their carpet cleaned in these timeframes*

I also always make sure to carry a Shaw Warranty brochure with me to show if they ask.
I worked for a major flooring retailer here in the Bay Area, and this is exactly what we were trained to tell our customers. I should have kept the brochure, that's a great idea. At Stanley Steemer, we said 3 times a year (and they conveniently had a maintenance program to cover that, at least in those days).

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
How about a "rule of thumb"? When you carpet starts to look like it needs to be cleaned then it should have been done 4 months ago. Something like that or similar.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I keep it simple. Kids and pets? Once a year minimum. No kids or pets? Once every 18 months.

Most people do it once every 5 years lol.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I agree keep it simple but with facts

It all depends on the environment.
How many people live in the house?
Pets?
anyone smoke?
elderly?
Allergies?
Do you host or do events a lot?
Budget/affordability

All of these factors play a very important role.

I had a client who suffered allergies and I cleaned his home every 30 days

I have clients with kids and a dog I clean every 3 months but some clean every 6 months

I have some families but no pets and usually they have their services done every 9-12 months

but after Christmas and tax season no one cares until they've paid the tax man off