How Often Do You Clean Your Own Carpets?

Discussion in 'Carpet Cleaning Marketing' started by Spooney, Jan 9, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Spooney

Spooney Active Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +261 / 1 / -0
    I clean mine every few months or so. I think because I am a CC I treat my carpets badly in between cleans because there is no real need to worry.

Hows this though?.. I have cleaned my carpet 3 days in a row this week lol. Mainly because I was testing some things on my equipment and partly because I wanted to see how much more dirt can be extracted after the initial clean.

2. SRD

SRD Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Male
    carpet cleaner/restoration
    midwest
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 2 / -0
    Mechanics car never runs right, shoemaker kids have no shoes.....you get the picture lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. matt30577

Premium VIP

Dec 21, 2009
    Male
    carpet cleaning, etc.
    georgia
    Ratings:
    +6,680 / 55 / -2
    It doesn't matter how long you wait before you clean your carpet. What matters is, are you bringing dangerous bacteria into your house. You could be cleaning once a week, but it doesn't matter if you're not taking off your shoes before you walk on your carpet.

Dangerous bacteria, Ecoli, other dangerous virus's come from the bottom of our shoes. Then, when you walk barefoot on it and crawl into bed, you're transferring it closer and closer to your body.

The question shouldn't be "how often do you clean your carpets"...it should be "how to keep dangerous bacteria and virus's off my carpet?"

So you could either clean your carpet every few months, or once a year, as long as you keep your shoes off the carpet as much as possible

• Like Like x 3
  4. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,684 / 84 / -0
    I clean our carpet about every 6 months. We also do not wear shoes on the carpet and our carpets are vacuumed 3-4 times a week. When we bought our house I had extra tile installed so we could walk from the front door to just about everywhere downstairs except the living without touching carpet.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. longkenn

longkenn Well-Known Member

May 7, 2011
    Floor Care
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +4,184 / 7 / -0
    When my wife tells me to!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. rccva

rccva Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +346 / 0 / -0
    We took all our carpet out... Carpet cleaner who doesn't own carpet!

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. crash1big

crash1big Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    owner operator
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +3,719 / 9 / -0
    I do mine ever 3-4 months.

• Like Like x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. RestaurantClean

RestaurantClean Active Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +149 / 0 / -0
    What was the verdict after day 2 and 3?

9. PhilipW

PhilipW Active Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    South Carolina
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Clean my own, at least the living room, every 2 or 3 months. We have pets, and I also enjoy trying new toys at every opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kevin Dumas

Kevin Dumas Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Carpet Cleaner
    Binghamton, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,370 / 5 / -0
    Every time my wife sneaks into the office and writes it in the schedule book.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. smart n kleen

Premium VIP

Mar 12, 2010
    oregon
    Ratings:
    +4,804 / 37 / -0
    I clean it 3-4 times a year. Also test new toys on it when I get them. I have two small boys so it's mandatory to clean regularly

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +881 / 1 / -0
    Probably too often

13. awratchford

awratchford Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2,564 / 17 / -0
    I generally catch my stairs every 3 months, everything every 6 months. No shoes in the house, vacuum every Saturday

Sent from my SM-G920V using TMF Forums mobile app

14. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,352 / 0 / -0
    I do mine monthly, so I can experiment with different techniques and chemistry. And yes, I will deliberately dribble coffee, wine, soda, ketchup, you name it on the carpet and grind it in with my shoe just to play with getting it out, lol. The carpeting in my house is a good 14 years old, so anything I do to it that I can't undo will eventually be a non-issue since it's due for replacement. I even sooted it up one day by burning a ton of candles and keeping the ceiling fans on downdraft so I could get some smoke damage practice in.

My cat hates it, and thinks I'm nuts, but frankly I don't give a darn. If the oddest thing I do at home is deliberately soil and re-clean my carpets, I'm doing OK.

Just don't look in my closets. Seriously. It's... scary.

15. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,684 / 84 / -0
    What equipment are you using to clean your carpets? Are you using equipment from the distributor you work or do you own your own?

Sounds a little crazy deliberately making a mess on the carpets in your home, kind of like a boxer punching himself in the face to see how hard he hits :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. the rugman

the rugman Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Male
    CLEANING FOOL!
    Warwick, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 2 / -0
    No carpet here! Ripped them all up years ago and put in hardwood!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,352 / 0 / -0
    #17 Mama Fen, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

We do all sorts of rentals, so I have much equipment available to play with. And every now and then I offer to pay my guys to come let me set up their equipment and clean my own carpets with it so I get to handle the big units, heh.

I also sub out as free labor on jobs for them so I can see how their techniques and chemistry differ from one type of job to another. They get free hands, I get experience, it's a win-win all 'round. I spend a lot of time toting hoses and running back and forth with hoppers, lol, but I do get to tackle some of the more important stuff like water clawing, filtration lines, and the like.

The upside to cleaning my own carpets is, I know what they should look like and am very familiar with how they handle. The down side is, they're always the same.

Last month, to give you an idea, I got to travel along on the following:

1. A hoarder house where the lady had a dead kitten decomposing under a rug
    2. Explosive doggie diarrhea after eating two pounds of milk chocolate (dog survived!)
    3. Large coffee spill complete with creamer that had been "treated" with Windex
    4. Several water damages, including a fridge, a bathtub overflow, and a Christmas tree stand
    5. A deep-fried turkey fire in a 3rd-floor apartment kitchen (occupant told he couldn't fry on patio, lol)

18. Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP

Apr 23, 2013
    Male
    Windsor, California
    Ratings:
    +20,769 / 81 / -0
    Carpet , tile , hardwood, upholstery...
    It all gets cleaned whenever it doesn't look clean.
    That might mean every other month or every other year for each textile or flooring.
    Downstairs, carpet , tile , hardwood gets vacuumed at least once a day and that helps out tremendously but we don't take our shoes off at the door like some..

IMO, it's rude to mandate it for guests

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. emeraldclean

Premium VIP

Feb 20, 2012
    Male
    owner operator Carpet/ Furnace & Duct Cleaning
    Beausejour Manitoba Canada
    Ratings:
    +11,181 / 16 / -0
    3-4 times a year. Pets/ kids. We vacuum lots though.

20. B&R Cleaning LLC

B&R Cleaning LLC New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Spring and fall here. My wife is a neat freak so it is vacuumed almost daily. It will get an extra cleaning here and there for new toy lol