How Often Do You Clean Your Own Carpets?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
I clean mine every few months or so. I think because I am a CC I treat my carpets badly in between cleans because there is no real need to worry.

Hows this though?.. I have cleaned my carpet 3 days in a row this week lol. Mainly because I was testing some things on my equipment and partly because I wanted to see how much more dirt can be extracted after the initial clean.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Mechanics car never runs right, shoemaker kids have no shoes.....you get the picture lol

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
It doesn't matter how long you wait before you clean your carpet. What matters is, are you bringing dangerous bacteria into your house. You could be cleaning once a week, but it doesn't matter if you're not taking off your shoes before you walk on your carpet.

Dangerous bacteria, Ecoli, other dangerous virus's come from the bottom of our shoes. Then, when you walk barefoot on it and crawl into bed, you're transferring it closer and closer to your body.

The question shouldn't be "how often do you clean your carpets"...it should be "how to keep dangerous bacteria and virus's off my carpet?"

So you could either clean your carpet every few months, or once a year, as long as you keep your shoes off the carpet as much as possible

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I clean our carpet about every 6 months. We also do not wear shoes on the carpet and our carpets are vacuumed 3-4 times a week. When we bought our house I had extra tile installed so we could walk from the front door to just about everywhere downstairs except the living without touching carpet.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I do mine ever 3-4 months.

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
I clean mine every few months or so. I think because I am a CC I treat my carpets badly in between cleans because there is no real need to worry.

Hows this though?.. I have cleaned my carpet 3 days in a row this week lol. Mainly because I was testing some things on my equipment and partly because I wanted to see how much more dirt can be extracted after the initial clean.
What was the verdict after day 2 and 3?

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
Clean my own, at least the living room, every 2 or 3 months. We have pets, and I also enjoy trying new toys at every opportunity.

Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I clean it 3-4 times a year. Also test new toys on it when I get them. I have two small boys so it's mandatory to clean regularly

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
I do mine monthly, so I can experiment with different techniques and chemistry. And yes, I will deliberately dribble coffee, wine, soda, ketchup, you name it on the carpet and grind it in with my shoe just to play with getting it out, lol. The carpeting in my house is a good 14 years old, so anything I do to it that I can't undo will eventually be a non-issue since it's due for replacement. I even sooted it up one day by burning a ton of candles and keeping the ceiling fans on downdraft so I could get some smoke damage practice in.

My cat hates it, and thinks I'm nuts, but frankly I don't give a darn. If the oddest thing I do at home is deliberately soil and re-clean my carpets, I'm doing OK.

Just don't look in my closets. Seriously. It's... scary.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I do mine monthly, so I can experiment with different techniques and chemistry. And yes, I will deliberately dribble coffee, wine, soda, ketchup, you name it on the carpet and grind it in with my shoe just to play with getting it out, lol. The carpeting in my house is a good 14 years old, so anything I do to it that I can't undo will eventually be a non-issue since it's due for replacement. I even sooted it up one day by burning a ton of candles and keeping the ceiling fans on downdraft so I could get some smoke damage practice in.

My cat hates it, and thinks I'm nuts, but frankly I don't give a darn. If the oddest thing I do at home is deliberately soil and re-clean my carpets, I'm doing OK.

Just don't look in my closets. Seriously. It's... scary.
What equipment are you using to clean your carpets? Are you using equipment from the distributor you work or do you own your own?

Sounds a little crazy deliberately making a mess on the carpets in your home, kind of like a boxer punching himself in the face to see how hard he hits :eek:

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
What equipment are you using to clean your carpets? Are you using equipment from the distributor you work or do you own your own?

Sounds a little crazy deliberately making a mess on the carpets in your home, kind of like a boxer punching himself in the face to see how hard he hits :eek:

We do all sorts of rentals, so I have much equipment available to play with. And every now and then I offer to pay my guys to come let me set up their equipment and clean my own carpets with it so I get to handle the big units, heh.

I also sub out as free labor on jobs for them so I can see how their techniques and chemistry differ from one type of job to another. They get free hands, I get experience, it's a win-win all 'round. I spend a lot of time toting hoses and running back and forth with hoppers, lol, but I do get to tackle some of the more important stuff like water clawing, filtration lines, and the like.

The upside to cleaning my own carpets is, I know what they should look like and am very familiar with how they handle. The down side is, they're always the same.

Last month, to give you an idea, I got to travel along on the following:

1. A hoarder house where the lady had a dead kitten decomposing under a rug
2. Explosive doggie diarrhea after eating two pounds of milk chocolate (dog survived!)
3. Large coffee spill complete with creamer that had been "treated" with Windex
4. Several water damages, including a fridge, a bathtub overflow, and a Christmas tree stand
5. A deep-fried turkey fire in a 3rd-floor apartment kitchen (occupant told he couldn't fry on patio, lol)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Carpet , tile , hardwood, upholstery...
It all gets cleaned whenever it doesn't look clean.
That might mean every other month or every other year for each textile or flooring.
Downstairs, carpet , tile , hardwood gets vacuumed at least once a day and that helps out tremendously but we don't take our shoes off at the door like some..

IMO, it's rude to mandate it for guests

Sep 23, 2014
Real Name
Joshua Spink
Spring and fall here. My wife is a neat freak so it is vacuumed almost daily. It will get an extra cleaning here and there for new toy lol

Latest posts