how often do you change the oil in your tm

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
How often you see the customer may not be a product of more frequent oil changes. But obviously someone that is paying attention to their equipment and changing the oil on a regular basis is going to maintain their equipment better then average. Their attention to detail and equipment maintenance is probably why they have less problems.
True statement... The guys that change their oil regularly are definitely the same ones that maintain everything else more meticulously. They're also the same guys that have less breakdowns, including... engine problems.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Isn't adding a qt a week the same as changing it once a month?

Jeff Maietta

Happy Days!
Aug 15, 2012
Everywhere
Real Name
Geoff Maieta
Business Location
United States
Hey Jeff... Actually, the blower itself doesn't make that much noise. The air traveling through the waste tank (a giant reverberation chamber) and exiting the blower is really the issue. The singe most effective factor in reducing that noise, is the quality of the blower exhaust tube. Check yours and see what it is, and if it's worn out. These tubes wear from the inside out because of the fast moving, particle filled air flow. As they wear out, they get thinner and thinner until they're about the thickness of a piece of paper but, they will still look good on the outside. The best way to tell what you really have left is to tap on it. You will know right away if it's any good. Don't be surprised if it looks new but your finger goes right through it. A lot of manufacturers are going to a low quality hose here basically due to cost. That tube needs to be marine grade exhaust hose which is fairly expensive, about 8 bucks a foot. That probably doesn't sound like all that much to you but, to a manufacturer, they can save a lot of money in a year. If your hose isn't marine grade exhaust hose, replace it. You'll be amazed how much quieter your machine will be.

I'm not sure why EZ doesn't add a lube port. You EZ owners need to be contacting them about that. From what I've seen, a lot of their inexpensive machines don't have a waste tank high level shut down switch either. The combination of these two missing components is a recipe for blower disaster.
Any ideas on adding a lube port?

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
Any ideas on adding a lube port?
Buy a 5/16 x 1/4 barbed fitting, a lube port and 6 ft of 1/4 plastic tube. Drill and tap a 5/16 hole in the blower intake and add the barbed fitting. Drill a hole somewhere on the front panel and install the lube port. Run the hose from the barbed fitting to the the lube port, Probably less then an hour and about 20 bucks. Remove the intake before you drill and tap it so the metal cuttings don't fall in to the blower. Piece of cake.

Reactions: Jeff Maietta

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have always used sae30, but looking at Briggs website that might actually not be good in the winter. The briggs website said synthetic 5w-30 for all situations and improved starting with less oil consumption. Is it okay after multiple years to change oil consistencies?

I ran mainly sae 30 in my Boxxer 421 for at least 5 or 6 years before changing over to synthetic in the B & S engine. Never had a problem. 5W30 is what I buy. I definitely do think it's worth it. From what I've read on this a new engine needs a break in period before switching to synthetic. Mine was well broken in by the time I switched!

Weebco

User
Jan 8, 2008
Houston
www.weebcocarpet-cleaning.com
Real Name
Gary Wiebe
Business Location
United States
There's a lot of factors that will affect how long your oil takes to break down but generally, I recommend every 50 hours to all my customers, synthetic or not. I can tell you that, without exception, the customers that adhere to that schedule are the ones I see the least for other problems. There's no such thing as your oil being too clean. The formula I use is
1 hour = 60 miles in your car, 50 hours = 3000 miles. Don't think for a second that these machines don't work as hard as your car. They're probably closer to your car pulling a heavy trailer over a mountain pass on a 100 degree day, every day of their lives.

Jeff Maietta

Happy Days!
Aug 15, 2012
Everywhere
Real Name
Geoff Maieta
Business Location
United States
Buy a 5/16 x 1/4 barbed fitting, a lube port and 6 ft of 1/4 plastic tube. Drill and tap a 5/16 hole in the blower intake and add the barbed fitting. Drill a hole somewhere on the front panel and install the lube port. Run the hose from the barbed fitting to the the lube port, Probably less then an hour and about 20 bucks. Remove the intake before you drill and tap it so the metal cuttings don't fall in to the blower. Piece of cake.
Thank you sir. Where from btw?

Reactions: Weebco