ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Would you still buy it if you had no experience doing repairs?
If I wasn't mechanically inclined and I knew I couldn't learn to be mechanically inclined real quick then probably not. Fortunately I am so when I bought my first old truckmount I was able to fix everything myself.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Looks rough
What year is the van and the mileage and what other equipment does it come with?

Just from what I see I would be under $5k and that is if everything works as it should.
Hmmm, I had exactly the same figure in mind provided it was in good working order. The machine is rough looking and so is the van. Van has some body damage and I suspect very high mileage would be my bet. That's also pretty high hours for the Legend. 5k would be top dollar for it imho. I'd offer less, maybe 4k provided it's working.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Do you know if that Prochem has all original parts, engine, blower, etc.? Normally some of those may have been switched out at some point, specially the engine and pump.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. But there are people way smarter than me on here when it comes to carpet cleaning and tile and grout cleaning. I mainly do commercial janitorial and VCT currently. I use my porty for the carpet in my accounts. I'd like to get more into tile and grout and hard surface flooring and my Mytee only has 500 PSI. Is tile and grout cleaning a lot harder on a truckmount than just carpet cleaning? I just figured this might be an inexpensive way to see if it's for me or not. Worst case scenario, how much is an engine replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

I just had my engine replaced on my truck mount unit about 5 months ago. 18 HP Briggs & Straton V-Twin $950 including shipping. I had it shipped to my local distributor, install plus removing old engine was about $650. These guys made it super easy to purchase the engine!
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1472935245.713870.jpg

Reactions: wandwizard

Vintage4life

Jun 22, 2015
Real Name
Alex Pennock
That is not something you would want to keep for long, better yet invest more money into possibly. That's a hefty amount of hours man. Looks beat and so does the van. Not sure of your current setup / vehicle situation but I would take the $5k plus and look for a nice used TM unit. Honestly I would offer $3k. Let him sit on that for a few days and I bet he takes it. Good luck!

JanitorByNight

Nov 8, 2013
Real Name
Ricky Patterson
Do you know if that Prochem has all original parts, engine, blower, etc.? Normally some of those may have been switched out at some point, specially the engine and pump.

I just asked and he said it is all original parts. He's had it four years. He always gets his units from a cleaner in Slidell, LA who buys new and who I know takes good care of his stuff. I'm not sure about how well the current owner has taken care of it the past four years. He said it burns a little oil but that that's common for air-cooled engines. Does that sound accurate?

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I just asked and he said it is all original parts. He's had it four years. He always gets his units from a cleaner in Slidell, LA who buys new and who I know takes good care of his stuff. I'm not sure about how well the current owner has taken care of it the past four years. He said it burns a little oil but that that's common for air-cooled engines. Does that sound accurate?

If it is all original then be prepared to replace parts soon and parts will go out no matter how well you take care of them. The engine is on borrowed time as it is, it could last another 3,000 hours if you are lucky or it could go out on the first job you do with it. Either way if you purchase this set up make sure you have another $3-5k set to the side for repairs or keep looking for a better set up with less hours and miles.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

Yes, small engines do typically burn some oil and leak oil. That's been my experience anyway. I switched to synthetic oil a good while back. My engine just seems to do a whole lot better with it. I keep a check on my engines oil regularly and occasionally have to add a few ounces to top it off. I pretty much agree with @1ST CHOICE CLEANING above almost word for word.

For me, the vast majority of my down time has been engine related, but I'm still using the original engine. I've had my machine going on 14 years. Only major component I've changed is the pump and that was all my fault. There is always some risk to buying just about any used machine. Some stuff on truck mounted machines like that can get complicated and expensive and you need to be prepared for that. I hope you have a qualified TM mechanic within driving distance as well as a good small engine mechanic locally. You'll need them. Hopefully not too much, but you WILL need them.

Blacktiedetailing

www.crsurfacecare.com
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2011
Las Vegas
WWW.CRSurfaceCare.com
Real Name
Jeff Kondra
Business Location
United States
Would you still buy it if you had no experience doing repairs?
Can't be any more difficult that fixing an Amtex. Off him $3k for it and go from there. It's almost been a year but if Damon ever gets his Amtex back from Ben, offer him some money for it. Last I heard, he still hadn't gotten it back after like 8 months.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Hey @ColoradoCleaner are you retiring that Steamway 1150?

I still have it sitting in the old van... not sure what I will do with it from here. After using this brand new Transit and Apex I can't imagine going back to it. But at the end of the day it is still a good powerful workhorse.

I never really knew what people meant when they say they are "retiring" a machine. Does that mean sell, scrap or let it sit out in a field somewhere? Lol..

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I still have it sitting in the old van... not sure what I will do with it from here. After using this brand new Transit and Apex I can't imagine going back to it. But at the end of the day it is still a good powerful workhorse.

I never really knew what people meant when they say they are "retiring" a machine. Does that mean sell, scrap or let it sit out in a field somewhere? Lol..
Pretty sure it means All of the Above. :D

Barry C

Aug 28, 2013
Harrisonburg Va
www.greensolutionscleaning.net
Real Name
Barry Click
Business Location
United States

I am still putting my old 1150 together. Just figured out the relay circuit and how that works and replaced it all. It saw some serious abuse before I got it. Been to busy this summer to work on it.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I am still putting my old 1150 together. Just figured out the relay circuit and how that works and replaced it all. It saw some serious abuse before I got it. Been to busy this summer to work on it.

Which truckmount are you running currently? I did away with the relay charging circuit on mine; it serves no purpose.

Barry C

Aug 28, 2013
Harrisonburg Va
www.greensolutionscleaning.net
Real Name
Barry Click
Business Location
United States
Which truckmount are you running currently? I did away with the relay charging circuit on mine; it serves no purpose.

I am running an old Chemtex Panther I refurbed and put in my van in October 2014. I have about $2k in that unit and it has made one heck of an ROI.
The relay I speak of is the relay that controls the pump clutch and tank filling and tank full lights on the 1150. I have not found one thing on this unit that is not bypassed or screwed up.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
I believe that legend has a 20 hp kholer ???
And a 4.0 blower
Might be a good starter unit but
I woudnt buy it unless you have aMECHANIC that can fix it.
I have owned 2 namcos from houston for around 10 k each
Easy to work on
those prochems can be difficult to work on and this is what could go out in the next year
Replaced engine-3000$
Replace blower. 2500$
Replace pump. 1500$
Replace heat exchangers. 1500-2000$
Each of these is a 1-2 week downtime

mjb4ex

Apr 29, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Butler
I just bought a similiar set up 2 months ago, my legend se has only 2700 hours, had 2 different tm mechanics see it, both say the hours look correct. 99 e150, New tires. Pretty clean. 250' ft of solution and vac hose, 150' of fresh water hose. Wand and upholstery tool I've never used. I paid $7500.

I automatically changed all the fluids for everything. Pump, blower, engine.

A belt and I bought a complete set of belts to have as a spare

I put a new bypass manifold, filter, and orifice.

Both a pulse fuel pump and electric fuel pump.

All the cuffs and a lot of the quick connects.

Sent from my XT1585 using TMF Forums mobile app