How much wax!?!?! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How much wax!?!?!

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
If your doing grocery stores and your finding the stripper drying out on you what we do is mix the way the direction say. Go over to the crushed ice they use for the fish and dump a shit load in the pail. It keeps the stripper liquid and cold and wet. I've been doing it for years. Works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
If your doing grocery stores and your finding the stripper drying out on you what we do is mix the way the direction say. Go over to the crushed ice they use for the fish and dump a shit load in the pail. It keeps the stripper liquid and cold and wet. I've been doing it for years. Works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
Ahh the ice trick. I used to do that all the time when I did the main floors in grocery so I could hit bigger areas. Kind of forgot all about it. Thanks for bringing it up. I used to fill my wax bag and put it on ice for a while too, slowed the dry time of the finish so I could blend sections better. Also kept my back cool so I didn't sweat through my shirt with that pack on.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
How was round 6 Rocky?
Went good. Mixed a strong cleaner, scrubbed with green pads. Put down one coat and burnished with a white pad when it was done. 2800 sq. ft. 6 hours from the time I showed up to the time I left. It cleaned up really nice but there are still some dark areas especially in the break room and some yellowing in the edges. That won't come out unless its stripped. I don't think it really needed the wax, I think a good scrub and buff would have worked just fine.

leuj20

May 18, 2009
Real Name
Luis
Business Location
United States
The edges, if it is yellow is old wax, the dark areas probably too, glad you are out of that hell hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TMF Forums mobile app

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I'll give them to @mjb4ex I'll let him do them. He's pretty good at it. Plus I like being at home at night.

I hate Saltillo but I really love it too so I'll work with it. I'll avoid vct like a plague tho
In hitting the pavement I was taking to an Interior designer that I worked for once and he asked if I strip and wax and suggested I go after GC's and pursue VCT, LVT and others...he even suggested, "even if you have to rent the equipment"

I just learned about carpet and some upholstery...any ideas or suggestions about where and how to start learning about possibly working on these kinds of floors?

Yes I am trying to do whatever I can to sustain throughout the winter...(4 months in business)

I know its vague but seeing this thread made me want to put it out there with you guys.

Thank you in advance.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
In hitting the pavement I was taking to an Interior designer that I worked for once and he asked if I strip and wax and suggested I go after GC's and pursue VCT, LVT and others...he even suggested, "even if you have to rent the equipment"

I just learned about carpet and some upholstery...any ideas or suggestions about where and how to start learning about possibly working on these kinds of floors?

Yes I am trying to do whatever I can to sustain throughout the winter...(4 months in business)

I know its vague but seeing this thread made me want to put it out there with you guys.

Thank you in advance.
You ever done any work with VCT before?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
no. Only carpet. Any pointers? or specific resources I might want to check out?
Best route would be to see if there is someone local to you that will bring you on a couple strip and wax jobs to learn it. See if it's something you want to do. It's a lot of work but can pay out good with the right tools and knowlage.

Starting out though to do the waxing you'll need at least a 16" 175 with black strip pads, 2 mop buckets and 2 mops, wet vac, doodle bug pad holder and black pads, flat mop and microfiber applicator pad.

For maintenance you can scrub and extract with a 175 and red pad then burnish with an electric burnisher (1500rpm minimum). Thats minimum though. Ideally you would use an auto scrubber and propane burnisher.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Best route would be to see if there is someone local to you that will bring you on a couple strip and wax jobs to learn it. See if it's something you want to do. It's a lot of work but can pay out good with the right tools and knowlage.

Starting out though to do the waxing you'll need at least a 16" 175 with black strip pads, 2 mop buckets and 2 mops, wet vac, doodle bug pad holder and black pads, flat mop and microfiber applicator pad.

For maintenance you can scrub and extract with a 175 and red pad then burnish with an electric burnisher (1500rpm minimum). Thats minimum though. Ideally you would use an auto scrubber and propane burnisher.
Good starting info man I appreciate it, thank you.

Is it accurate to say that you typically would typically burnish (polish) after waxing?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Good starting info man I appreciate it, thank you.

Is it accurate to say that you typically would typically burnish (polish) after waxing?
You can but typically you don't. It's usually preferred to wait about a week after laying wax before burnishing.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
You can but typically you don't. It's usually preferred to wait about a week after laying wax before burnishing.
But when you get a job to strip and wax is it safe to say you would include coming back in a week or so to polish?

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
For what it’s worth we always give the last coat 45 minutes to day and then burnish with 2000rpm burnished and a hair blend pad.

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
But when you get a job to strip and wax is it safe to say you would include coming back in a week or so to polish?
Not unless they want you back. About half the jobs I do they just want me to strip and wax once a year and thats it. No interest in any kind of cleaning or burnishing. Now some of those have their own crews to burnish, the others just don't care. The other half are on a monthly contract where at least once a month I'm there to scrub and burnish the floors. I'll try to schedule the waxing so that I'm back in 1 - 2 weeks to do the regularly scheduled burnishing but that doesn't always work out. Not a big deal. I've never seen a floor go to crap in a few weeks because it wasn't burnished.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
For what it’s worth we always give the last coat 45 minutes to day and then burnish with 2000rpm burnished and a hair blend pad.
When I worked for a company doing grocery stores I did that since I had to be there for the full 8 hours. Now I'm finishing up these jobs at 4am. As soon as the finish is dry enough I can do a walk to verify no problems (10 - 15 minutes usually) I'm on the road.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
When I worked for a company doing grocery stores I did that since I had to be there for the full 8 hours. Now I'm finishing up these jobs at 4am. As soon as the finish is dry enough I can do a walk to verify no problems (10 - 15 minutes usually) I'm on the road.
Sweet man So are you working solo and pursing supermarket type gigs? Is there a lot of people out there doing this kind of work?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Sweet man So are you working solo and pursing supermarket type gigs? Is there a lot of people out there doing this kind of work?
I'm solo, doing smaller accounts but am slowly downsizing my VCT work for carpets and window cleaning. Stuff I can do during the day. VCT is mostly commercial so its mostly at night. But yes, there are a LOT of people doing it, at least in my area.