How much wax!?!?! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How much wax!?!?!

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
Yeah I'm not doubting what you did, just trying to understand it. The only time I've heard people do this were stories with bad endings. I'm open to any ideas that make stripping an easier job.
Try it on a few sqft of you have a burnisher. I will never do on a traditional job. But floors that are messed up. Why not...

Sent from my SM-G930P using TMF Forums mobile app

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
On this job all materials (stripper, wax, pads, ect) are supplied by the company that hired me to do the work. So I can make recommendations but ultimately whatever he buys is what I use. I've done floors for him before and the product he uses (Ripsaw by Buckeye) always does a good job. Mixed extra strong at 2 gals water + 1 gal. stripper with a 10 - 15 minute dwell time. I guess he's got a couple guys getting started on rewaxing the main store (this is a large super market, I was contracted just to do the offices) and they are hitting a similar problem in some areas. There is just so much wax on these floors its going to take some extra work to get through it.

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
Do you mean your 1750 oscillator? It has more rpm but it's not what I would call a high speed burnisher. I high speed burnisher would sling slurry everywhere and dry up the chemical

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
On this job all materials (stripper, wax, pads, ect) are supplied by the company that hired me to do the work. So I can make recommendations but ultimately whatever he buys is what I use. I've done floors for him before and the product he uses (Ripsaw by Buckeye) always does a good job. Mixed extra strong at 2 gals water + 1 gal. stripper with a 10 - 15 minute dwell time. I guess he's got a couple guys getting started on rewaxing the main store (this is a large super market, I was contracted just to do the offices) and they are hitting a similar problem in some areas. There is just so much wax on these floors its going to take some extra work to get through it.
2:1 ?? Gosh that's expensive

Sent from my SM-G930V using TMF Forums mobile app

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
If you're feeling adventurous, I'm going to back Kenneth 100% on the recommendation on those pads - ETC's Diamondbacks are insanely aggressive, I've been known to cut my fingers to shreds getting them out of the box.

Use a quality stripper like Bare Bones from NCL, boosted with sodium hydroxide and mixed COLD, not hot, with at least 30-45 minutes dwell time. You can even use the pads to agitate the surface of the finish to give the stripper some "grip" during the dwell. Put a trimmed-down pad between the Diamondback and the driver if possible, those things are wicked thin and if you're not careful you could dig into the VCT. You still might have to go over it more than once, depending on just how thick that stuff is.
How do you guys get 30-45 min dwell time. Here in the desert everything dries in 10-15min unless you flood the place but who wants to do that.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
How do you guys get 30-45 min dwell time. Here in the desert everything dries in 10-15min unless you flood the place but who wants to do that.
You flood the place ;)

Or add water to the stripper before it dries.

I've never gone beyond 15 minutes though. If there's that much wax on the floor there's no way flooding it for 30 minute dwell time is effective. At that point you're working against the top layer of ground in grease, soils and of course the primary target, wax.

It's no fun but the best approach is small bites over double stripping.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
You flood the place ;)

Or add water to the stripper before it dries.

I've never gone beyond 15 minutes though. If there's that much wax on the floor there's no way flooding it for 30 minute dwell time is effective. At that point you're working against the top layer of ground in grease, soils and of course the primary target, wax.

It's no fun but the best approach is small bites over double stripping.
Thts the way we did it when I did it lol small sections. Seemed easier to manage

Feb 11, 2017
Real Name
Shawn Moffett
Went in to do a job last night and it took 5 hours to strip one 15x15 office. Called the guy that hired me and asked how much wax is on the floor. All he could say for sure is its been two years since it was last stripped and that its been top coated at least 4 times a year but the guy that used to work that location was known to put down as many as 6 coats at a time and may have waxed the offices more often than 4 times a year.

I've never stripped a floor and after scrubbing with a nylo grit brush and removing the slurry had the floor still look smooth and shiny with finish. I felt like after even the third try I could have let it dry, buffed it and left.

We are reassessing weather he wants me to continue. I'm charging $40 an hour and at this rate its going to take about 40 - 50 hours.
You will need to soak the wax with a strong stripper possibly not diluted then use sand screens under your black pad. This will cut into the wax without issue.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Have you guys tried hot stuff, from IDP labs? I did a brick job with 30 coats on it quick(extracted with a 4.8CDS)....

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
My grand pappy used to say if it's too good to be true then it probably is. What's the catch, it's $25/ounce? Have you used it?

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
Wish I could tell ya. Over the years I've recommended all kinds of products that at least cost the same as what he's buying now but work better. But he would have to buy them online and ship them so it doesn't happen.
Did you know the strongest you can mix bonesaw is 1 gallon bonesaw to 16 gallons of water. The stuff is wicked. I get it for 25 a gallon

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Did you know the strongest you can mix bonesaw is 1 gallon bonesaw to 16 gallons of water. The stuff is wicked. I get it for 25 a gallon

Yeah I've looked over the dilutions. Stuff sounds awesoe. I plan on picking up a case this spring when my wax jobs start up again. I'll order some sooner if I need to but I generally try to avoid ordering much chemical this time of year. Nothing like getting a package of frozen chemical. UPS needs to invest in heaters for their trucks.

Jason Miller

Aug 16, 2015
Real Name
Jason Miller
I almost always get 20 to 30 min dwell time.
Arrive at job grab my stripper crap.

Fill up slop bucket and start slopping the floor where I want to start stripping.

By the time I have every set up it had 20 to 30 min dwell time.

Don't worry much about drying because I don't skimp for shit on stripper.

Biggest area I'll slop and do in one shot solo is 2k Sq feet if it's wide open. If it's a bunch of cut floor space I'll do less

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Heading back tonight to finish. He's decided to just scrub it clean and top coat. Just what it needs, more finish on there to strip later. Oh well. I'm getting paid.