How much wax!?!?! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How much wax!?!?!

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Went in to do a job last night and it took 5 hours to strip one 15x15 office. Called the guy that hired me and asked how much wax is on the floor. All he could say for sure is its been two years since it was last stripped and that its been top coated at least 4 times a year but the guy that used to work that location was known to put down as many as 6 coats at a time and may have waxed the offices more often than 4 times a year.

I've never stripped a floor and after scrubbing with a nylo grit brush and removing the slurry had the floor still look smooth and shiny with finish. I felt like after even the third try I could have let it dry, buffed it and left.

We are reassessing weather he wants me to continue. I'm charging $40 an hour and at this rate its going to take about 40 - 50 hours.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
It doesn't look great. Bottom coats are starting to yellow in areas and its all generally dingy. There is a residue that gets carried in from the plywood and Aluminum plants across the street that makes the floors look pretty gross. They used to clean them once a week with degreaser, sc200. It gets the grime up but in the upstairs they just mop it. Seems that the more they used it up there with the mop the more they needed to use it. When they would wax they would clean with neutral cleaner and a blue pad on a 175. Never got all the grime out just made it cleaner.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Wow 6 coats even when he did scrub and recoats?

Skip the stripping, bring in one of those tile scrapping machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert86

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
we have all done these horror floors you just have to grit your teeth and keep stripping

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Got stuck with a whole plant like that last year. But couldn't tell how bad it was because the tile was a dark grey. Quoted .55 per sq'. Got done one board room and called the manager and we had a come to Jesus meeting. It ended up costing them triple the quote.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Got stuck with a whole plant like that last year. But couldn't tell how bad it was because the tile was a dark grey. Quoted .55 per sq'. Got done one board room and called the manager and we had a come to Jesus meeting. It ended up costing them triple the quote.

amen on that

Reactions: leuj20

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
you musta swung a mop a time or two
I'll give them to @mjb4ex I'll let him do them. He's pretty good at it. Plus I like being at home at night.

I hate Saltillo but I really love it too so I'll work with it. I'll avoid vct like a plague tho

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Once its waxed its great. I can generally scrub and buff up to 2,000 sq ft in under an hour and charge $0.13 per sq ft. I make well over $100 per hour buffing VCT.

Kind of how this is. Didn't realize how much wax was on there until I started stripping.

We are looking for a different stripper, something stronger to help pick up the pace a little. He's just trying to decide if me doing this job is going to be worth the cost. He's got guys that can do the work and he pays them $10 per hour whereas I'm giving his a discount at $40. The real advantage to me doing the work is I've got equipment that does a better job whereas his guys will have to use a mop and bucket the whole way.

Reactions: Mike Krall

clean-sweep

Jan 7, 2010
kentucky
Real Name
ryan hill
Business Location
United States
Once its waxed its great. I can generally scrub and buff up to 2,000 sq ft in under an hour and charge $0.13 per sq ft. I make well over $100 per hour buffing VCT.

Kind of how this is. Didn't realize how much wax was on there until I started stripping.

We are looking for a different stripper, something stronger to help pick up the pace a little. He's just trying to decide if me doing this job is going to be worth the cost. He's got guys that can do the work and he pays them $10 per hour whereas I'm giving his a discount at $40. The real advantage to me doing the work is I've got equipment that does a better job whereas his guys will have to use a mop and bucket the whole way.
Man I know I sound like a broken record but Bonesaw is the BEST. I'm in no way affiliated with floor care md or get anything to say this. This stuff WORKS. Honestly, I don't feel comfortable going to a job without it anymore.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I have what I consider the best stripper on the market I know everyone says that lol. I LOVVVVVVE VCT makes big money. Never charge less than .55 per sq'

Will C

Jul 23, 2016
Real Name
Will Pope
It might have a sealer on it. I've been warned about that, because they take forever to remove. Apparently there are a lot of guys out there that use the sealer them scrub and top coat over and over and over and over again because they make easy money that way, then when it comes time to strip it whoever is tasked why that job catches hell. My cousin worked for a guy that did that in all but a few Jefferson County schools. Huge account, so he took care of the ones they'd check on but did that sealer, scrub and recoat to the rest of them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
It might have a sealer on it. I've been warned about that, because they take forever to remove. Apparently there are a lot of guys out there that use the sealer them scrub and top coat over and over and over and over again because they make easy money that way, then when it comes time to strip it whoever is tasked why that job catches hell. My cousin worked for a guy that did that in all but a few Jefferson County schools. Huge account, so he took care of the ones they'd check on but did that sealer, scrub and recoat to the rest of them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using TMF Forums mobile app
I've been working with this guy for about 5 years now. They don't use sealers. Castleguard is the only finish they've used in that store. Its a softer finish that normally strips pretty easy. There is just a TON of finish.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I've been working with this guy for about 5 years now. They don't use sealers. Castleguard is the only finish they've used in that store. Its a softer finish that normally strips pretty easy. There is just a TON of finish.
You know those perforation tools they use to put holes in wallpaper so the chemical and steam can penetrate to the wall better? I wonder if that would be effective for wax. Even taking a pole scrapper and digging a line to the floor in a few spots and letting the stripper dwell there. Seems like if the stripper could get under the wax it would be more effective then trying to strip top down.

Reactions: Robert86