how much should i charge for protector/scotchguard? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

how much should i charge for protector/scotchguard?

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I bought a case of prochem fourguard protector, but i am not sure what to charge for it? It is ready to use, no mixing for about $20 a gallon. Do i sell it cheap so that the customers wants me to use it, so it make the cleaning process easier next time if they call me back, or do i try to make money applying it? I have no idea what most people are charging for it. I do know one competitor in town really well, and he said he is charging .10 cents a sq ft for it. That seems pretty cheap to me. At that rate he is not making hardly anything on it. what is your guys going rate for protector?

Reactions: Brian Sulltrop

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I bought a case of prochem fourguard protector, but i am not sure what to charge for it? It is ready to use, no mixing for about $20 a gallon. Do i sell it cheap so that the customers wants me to use it, so it make the cleaning process easier next time if they call me back, or do i try to make money applying it? I have no idea what most people are charging for it. I do know one competitor in town really well, and he said he is charging .10 cents a sq ft for it. That seems pretty cheap to me. At that rate he is not making hardly anything on it. what is your guys going rate for protector?

Generally protector sells for 50% of the cleaning cost assuming you are charging a good rate.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
That sounds reasonable Todd. Does that just get applied right after cleaning? Any idea how many sq ft I can get out of a gallon?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
That sounds reasonable Todd. Does that just get applied right after cleaning? Any idea how many sq ft I can get out of a gallon?
Yes, spray it on and rake it in after cleaning. Different formulas will cover different amounts of area. I have not used the one you are using so you will have to see what the label says. I would guess about 500-700 sq ft per gallon.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Protector can be a great benefit to your customer and to your profit. I would look at a more concentrated product and one with acid dye resistors for future use.

Next week at the Experience Convention and trade show, Jim Pemberton will be doing a presentation about protectors that were tested against each other in several aspects. Dry soil resistance, water-based soil resitance, resistance to oils, beading, easy of cleaning later, resitance to food color and dyes and so forth.

If you want information about how to demo and sell protector, send an email to [email protected] and ask for it. Free.