Independent schooling?
Industry schooling?
School hard knocks?

Reactions: Sir James

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
High school and a year of college because my (teacher) mom always told me I needed college to get anywhere in life. Left and went back to carpet cleaning full time, was already in part time as a summer/after school job, and 6 years later she stopped telling her students they need college because she's seen that you can do well without it.

Reactions: rob allen

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
NCSU, Microbiology and English.

IICRC, Master certs.

Seven years' experience in cleaning and restoration, which isn't much.

Twenty-some years of retail management before that, which teaches anger management, functional sleep deprivation, how to overcome the desire for a social life, and how to defy the laws of physics by stuffing forty feet of product into a twenty-foot Lozier run.

And now I run a distributorship. Go figure.

You guys keep me in class every day. :)

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Some of the most brilliant, highly-educated people I've ever known are also the most under-employed and unfulfilled. And I know people who didn't bother with high school at all, who can work magic with anything they touch because of their innate ability to understand the living world around them.

By the same token, a 'classical' education allows one to appreciate aspects of life, art, science, technology, and society that maybe we wouldn't even know existed otherwise.

Reactions: Prestigecarpetclean

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I personally did not graduate. We were very poor and I finally quit to get a job. Looking back I hated school and didn't like being "molded" by school. I'd prefer they would teach children to be more creative and find the path to their true potential. To me it didn't offer true life skills, just indoctrination to get a job and do what I was told. My doubts, no diploma and proper life skills was the driving force that motivated me to go into business for myself.

I do understand they are limited with funds and too many children. But now as I am older I recognize school is more of an indoctrination of ideologies. What better place to start than with young minds? Hence the rampant lowering, confusing and even twisted values.

I am not anti-school. I am more pro-education based on recognizing ones strengths and potential then teaching them to be creative in succeeding in life. However I recognize that as long as there are political power struggles and lust for power it's just a pipe dream.

I've wrestled between whether to rage against the machine or just fall in line letting pendulum machine direct me. I finally came to the conclusion it's too big for mankind and will need divine intervention to solve. In meantime I just try to guide my family to stay out of the way of the machines pendulum.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I'm struggling with this now...watching our Step-Daughter who is 13 not really receive an "education" - and she is supposedly in the #2 public school for our city.

No homework, no tests, nothing is ever wrong or their fault, no improvement required. Her friends are all the same. When I go to Parent-Teacher conference we can't discuss any real issues for sake of being politically correct.

Now with our 2 year old and newborn...what do I do? The system isn't going to get better. I've been seriously considering becoming a stay at home Father and educate them myself. Money of course is the issue, mommy makes good money as a nurse but we would need a drastic reduction in lifestyle.

But so what...by the time they are reaching 6-7 years old they will want to be around other kids, maybe the machine simply is too big.

Reactions: Prestigecarpetclean

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
Barely Graduated high school thanks to sports. 2 years tech school. 30 years at Pepsi Cola. Wife an I had 8 children on one income. Put ad in paper to rake lawns which turned into cleaning a customers 8 pled apartment and eventually started cleaning a medical clinic. Always made it fun for my kids that helped. Usually went and had a snack after cleaning. They are hard workers til this day. Amazing how business starts. To God get the Glory

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
High school graduate; some technical training and many industry classes. Also self-taught, just taking the time to research topics I felt would be beneficial. (I consider research to be more than using Google.)

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Highschool and vocational school masonry and carpentry. Though i never recieved a HS diploma :D never needed it.

Sir James

Feb 24, 2015
Real Name
Jim Cross
High school grad, Definitely school of hard knocks and Bane Clene school. Truckmountforums has taught me as well. Sure beats the school of hard knocks.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
no

no

no

no

yes!

was running the streets at 13yrs old dropped out at 15. I have an 8th grade education it is what it is.

i hated school though i did well when i wanted too.

my kids are all homeschooled we use several curriculums for them. my wife teaches them and we have other friends and relatives fill in with different subjects at times.

our kids play instruments, love reading, know what it means to play outside on the trampoline or the pool. they also have learned too work for what they want (kinda like real life!)

they get tons of interaction with other kids and are being taught in a safe and wholesome environment.

im not opposed to education but what is studied ought to be transferable and applicable in the real world.

just my $0.02

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
High school graduate barley passed also hated school did few months uei college dropped out wasnt for me. Some of the most successful people I've met havent even graduated highschool and i know a few with degrees that havent amounted to anything but debt

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Some of the most brilliant, highly-educated people I've ever known are also the most under-employed and unfulfilled. And I know people who didn't bother with high school at all, who can work magic with anything they touch because of their innate ability to understand the living world around them.

By the same token, a 'classical' education allows one to appreciate aspects of life, art, science, technology, and society that maybe we wouldn't even know existed otherwise.
As you may know yourself, higher education is not about feeling gracious or making good money. But sometimes it'll give you excess to places and people you wouldn't be able to experience otherwise . As for myself, I've completed all my studies abroad and carpet cleaning is accidental byproduct of circumstances.
Growing up in academically inclined family I didn't have choice but to submit to the trend( not always my choice) and did music school for 7 years as well.
I like your ability to look at things from different angles. Thanks for that.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
As you may know yourself, higher education is not about feeling gracious or making good money. But sometimes it'll give you excess to places and people you wouldn't be able to experience otherwise . As for myself, I've completed all my studies abroad and carpet cleaning is accidental byproduct of circumstances.
Growing up in academically inclined family I didn't have choice but to submit to the trend( not always my choice) and did music school for 7 years as well.
I like your ability to look at things from different angles. Thanks for that.
IF you have good teachers and professors who encourage independent thought and curiosity, a solid educational background isn't about the facts you learn - it's about how your ability to learn is honed and refined.

My best History teacher, Mr. Curtis, threw us a trick question once - he asked us if the pyramids of Egypt were a successful endeavor. When some students wrote down a simple "yes" or "no" answer without giving any explanation, he went into a rage.

He told us that we were "not just some little, trained apes following routines", that we had to learn to question the questions and to dig into the truth of any statement... and to be prepared to back it up if called upon to do so. I learned more from that single outburst than I did in four years of college.

Honestly, he reminded me a little bit of Sam Kinison's character in the Rodney Dangerfield movie Back to School - but the impact he made was indelible, and I will remember him 'til my dying day. He pushed us not to just accept pat answers. For him, knowledge was a living breathing thing that was always growing, and he instilled that in all of us that bothered to pay attention.

That, to me, is education.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
As I make a lot of night trips, I like to listen to the radio.... One of the channel's topic coincided with our " schooling" thread. I wasn't surprised to hear statistics, in which they claimed that most of the self made millionaires( more than 50%) barely kept C average, but didn't lack the focus to make it in real life. Also, streets smart folks are bound to have bigger chance to succeed and become millionaires. Sure, doctors, lawyers have wits about making their money, but in this case these pro's have to recover their investment before making any money, right?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
IF you have good teachers and professors who encourage independent thought and curiosity, a solid educational background isn't about the facts you learn - it's about how your ability to learn is honed and refined.

My best History teacher, Mr. Curtis, threw us a trick question once - he asked us if the pyramids of Egypt were a successful endeavor. When some students wrote down a simple "yes" or "no" answer without giving any explanation, he went into a rage.

He told us that we were "not just some little, trained apes following routines", that we had to learn to question the questions and to dig into the truth of any statement... and to be prepared to back it up if called upon to do so. I learned more from that single outburst than I did in four years of college.

Honestly, he reminded me a little bit of Sam Kinison's character in the Rodney Dangerfield movie Back to School - but the impact he made was indelible, and I will remember him 'til my dying day. He pushed us not to just accept pat answers. For him, knowledge was a living breathing thing that was always growing, and he instilled that in all of us that bothered to pay attention.

That, to me, is education.
Speaking of professors, for Greek and Roman history , I had one who used to teach on Charles university in Prague. He was old, quirky and very unorthodox in his methods. I will continue with a story about professor Soukup later after I get my beauty sleep...