How much psi do we really need????

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Still only 1.75 GPM through the wand, no where near what BS charts say. I drilled out wand parts to get this flow. Hose flow capacity and flow through your wand are two very different things.

Why did I do it? Because the equipment can handle it just fine. With some tweaks so can yours.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I dont need to make the tweaks, the equipment operation is excellent for cleaning carpet.. getting dirty carpets clean efficiently is not something we struggle with lol

if it really really needs it worst care scenario we CRB then 360 the job with the heat at max This is pretty rare.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I do believe that charts arent perfect but also I do think you might be off when it comes to what a wand will do with 02 or larger jets and 1/4 line

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I do believe that charts arent perfect but also I do think you might be off when it comes to what a wand will do with 02 or larger jets and 1/4 line
At 175-200' live reels of 1/4" line assumes a max open flow at 500-600 PSI. This max flow is not attainable through the wand as well....

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Don't know crap about TM pumps but the switch to a 3/8 hose and a 1/2 feed line doubled my open flow ATM and nearly double at 100'.... Using the simple bucket test.

Pumptec 1/2 hp 207/160. Jaguar 8.4 with an exhaust booster.

3HT heat is more constant . This coupled with a higher flow I can flush faster. 13" Zipper 7.5 "flow" no problem at a day Care Friday night. 1-2 hour dry times. Ditto with the 360i. Both with 100' of hoses.

No doubt about it , 3/8 is harder to manage and does take up more room.
For my set up it was well worth it and something I wished I would have done back in 2012 when this thread started.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
what do you find is max open flow 1/4in line at 100ft? I read that its 3.5gpm+
That's an unanswerable question. Each pumps output has to be tested individually.

You are happy with your setup, that's great. I had a similar setup and wasn't happy, my test results were very disappointing and nowhere near where I thought it was with my TM. Hose diameter, hose length, pump losses due to friction, wand restrictions, fitting and top hat strainer restrictions all are penalties. They can be over come with some work.

As far as my dry times are concerned with my portable, they are very, very good at high flow even @ just 155°. There a few reasons why though. My vacuum filter never clogs or reduces airflow or lift, always a clean airpath, I can use short hose runs, very small waste tank, I have incredibly fast lift rise times and they are much faster than a TM, bigger solution hose allows for great flow with the least loss. I process more water per hour than many TM's do, however this wasn't easy to do. It's only because I had enough vacuum power at my typical hose runs that this was not only reasonable, but practical.

There are many here that can benefit from some testing and knowing where they are at. If I did restaurants or common commercial hallways or other heavily soiled jobs all the time looking into this can be a huge time saver when wanding, zipper, bonzer, etc... If you have the vacuum power in place already you can really save some time on the wand and flush better. I switch between our portable and our TM sometimes 2 times a day, each using a 10-0550 jetted differently. The completely stock smaller jetted TM wand cleans noticably slower with the TM, switching to the portable wand on the TM has an improvement, but it still doesn't achieve it's potential at higher pressure on a 200' live reel of 1/4" line vs 50' of 3/8" line at lower pressure it normally gets to clean with and it's not hard to see why that is. After a couple of weeks I don't even notice the extra weight of 3/8" hose and 1/4" hose now feels kinda wimpy.

Take the above for what's worth, it's what I found out the hard way.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
That's an unanswerable question. Each pumps output has to be tested individually.

You are happy with your setup, that's great. I had a similar setup and wasn't happy, my test results were very disappointing and nowhere near where I thought it was with my TM. Hose diameter, hose length, pump losses due to friction, wand restrictions, fitting and top hat strainer restrictions all are penalties. They can be over come with some work.

As far as my dry times are concerned with my portable, they are very, very good at high flow even @ just 155°. There a few reasons why though. My vacuum filter never clogs or reduces airflow or lift, always a clean airpath, I can use short hose runs, very small waste tank, I have incredibly fast lift rise times and they are much faster than a TM, bigger solution hose allows for great flow with the least loss. I process more water per hour than many TM's do, however this wasn't easy to do. It's only because I had enough vacuum power at my typical hose runs that this was not only reasonable, but practical.

There are many here that can benefit from some testing and knowing where they are at. If I did restaurants or common commercial hallways or other heavily soiled jobs all the time looking into this can be a huge time saver when wanding, zipper, bonzer, etc... If you have the vacuum power in place already you can really save some time on the wand and flush better. I switch between our portable and our TM sometimes 2 times a day, each using a 10-0550 jetted differently. The completely stock smaller jetted TM wand cleans noticably slower with the TM, switching to the portable wand on the TM has an improvement, but it still doesn't achieve it's potential at higher pressure on a 200' live reel of 1/4" line vs 50' of 3/8" line at lower pressure it normally gets to clean with and it's not hard to see why that is. After a couple of weeks I don't even notice the extra weight of 3/8" hose and 1/4" hose now feels kinda wimpy.

Take the above for what's worth, it's what I found out the hard way.
I believe some of what your saying but also Ive heard you say that you dont use glides and they are pointless... so we probably dont agree on some things or dont have similar real world scenarios

also with portables you really need to do all this testing because every tiny little loss is huge and every little tweek is a big deal.. TMs overcome most of this just by burning gas and having more than ample power to clean a carpet.

what TM are you running and why do you like your portable more?

I dont mean offense by saying this(just making a reference) but the only time I have ever heard cleaners say that is when the TM they are used to is a complete rust bucket that they ran into the ground or is 20yrs old and they never charged enough to buy new on schedule and keep their equipment current.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ymetimme

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
even some
TMs both fairly new have same components but the power still can be much different... for instance our Judson is no where even close to the vac power of our Relia built. Same exact blower. And a Judson is not a choked down machine

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I believe some of what your saying but also Ive heard you say that you dont use glides and they are pointless... so we probably dont agree on some things or dont have similar real world scenarios

also with portables you really need to do all this testing because every tiny little loss is huge and every little tweek is a big deal.. TMs overcome most of this just by burning gas and having more than ample power to clean a carpet.

what TM are you running and why do you like your portable more?

I dont mean offense by saying this(just making a reference) but the only time I have ever heard cleaners say that is when the TM they are used to is a complete rust bucket that they ran into the ground or is 20yrs old and they never charged enough to buy new on schedule and keep their equipment current.
The above sounds like a bunch of deflecting to me and not really a conversation about flow.

20190326_000414.jpg

This was Friday on a water damage job. It's a nice TM layout, user friendly for maintenance raised TM bracket and catch pan.

0ap3000000882302_video_cp.jpg

Glides!? GLIDES!? You want to talk about GLIDES!?

Reactions: J20770 and ACP