How much Product do you keep on the shelves ?

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I am a chemical hog, I buy way too much, because I just have to try everything to see, if I like it or no,t or even if it works..
So since probably Nov, I have not bought anything because me and my guys are trying to burn thru all of the cases of stuff I had bought thru the last 30 years...

So what have I learned about the chems we all use....? well I am nearly out of all my tm forums chems,, when I run out of GM I will buy another 40lb bucket right away. I feel very strongly about that stuff,, it just works... I love rsf , but ive been leaning to the spiked more and more.. Im all out of that stuff but..
This week I am burning thru all the Interlink chems and Chemspec stuff I have.. We are down to about 35 cases of chems to burn thru then my shelves will be empty and Ill be making some big purchases to stock back up.... I was a little worried I had held on to a lot of it for too long but so far no bad chems.

How much product do you keep on hand?

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I am a chemical hog, I buy way too much, because I just have to try everything to see, if I like it or no,t or even if it works..
So since probably Nov, I have not bought anything because me and my guys are trying to burn thru all of the cases of stuff I had bought thru the last 30 years...

So what have I learned about the chems we all use....? well I am nearly out of all my tm forums chems,, when I run out of GM I will buy another 40lb bucket right away. I feel very strongly about that stuff,, it just works... I love rsf , but ive been leaning to the spiked more and more.. Im all out of that stuff but..
This week I am burning thru all the Interlink chems and Chemspec stuff I have.. We are down to about 35 cases of chems to burn thru then my shelves will be empty and Ill be making some big purchases to stock back up.... I was a little worried I had held on to a lot of it for too long but so far no bad chems.

How much product do you keep on hand?
Sounds like you need a intervention! Lol

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Technically I probably have enough prespray to get through until I retire are very near it. :) Besides that, I normally keep enough of other things like stain removers, deodorizers, protectors, etc., to last 3 to 6 months or longer depending on what it is and how much I actually use it. I've got a few things on my shelves I may never use most likely cause I simply don't like how they work, or should I say, don't work! I'm good with Groutmaster for a good while too. I have a lot of Grease Eraser I need to try and use up. I've been pulling out the old TMF formula of enzyme prespray that TMF used to sell and I have to say so far that stuff has worked very well. I guess the new stuff is supposed to be even better, but I'd have to see it to believe it. The one I'm talking about was supposed to be just like Chemspec's Enz all. It works about as well as any enzyme I've ever bought.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCarpetVet

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
I buy 200 pounds prespray at a time. just a better deal. Lasts me about 6 to 8 months. the liquids I try to stock up on annual sales....usually get about 3-4 months worth.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
Technically I probably have enough prespray to get through until I retire are very near it. :) Besides that, I normally keep enough of other things like stain removers, deodorizers, protectors, etc., to last 3 to 6 months or longer depending on what it is and how much I actually use it. I've got a few things on my shelves I may never use most likely cause I simply don't like how they work, or should I say, don't work! I'm good with Groutmaster for a good while too. I have a lot of Grease Eraser I need to try and use up. I've been pulling out the old TMF formula of enzyme prespray that TMF used to sell and I have to say so far that stuff has worked very well. I guess the new stuff is supposed to be even better, but I'd have to see it to believe it. The one I'm talking about was supposed to be just like Chemspec's Enz all. It works about as well as any enzyme I've ever bought.
If you like enzymes -Go Clean- makes a enzyme called clean force. Its the best thing that Ive come across. It has a citrus solvent built into it and smells and works great.
Wasnt too impressed with enz all even though Ive heard some guys rave on it.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Aside from being a chemical prostitute I have a bad habit of not letting go old equipment. I’ll buy a replacement piece then get the old one all fixed up and spit and polished and then put it into storage as a back up. I sear I have at least 8 17” taski buffers and four 500psi carpet machines. And vasuums coming out the yingyang. All nice and shinny though LOL

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Working with distributors, I regularly see or hear of people coming in to buy 1 gallon of product at a time. Sometimes interrupting a job to go get enough prespray to finish. Or coming to get a gallon of Maxim protector because a customer requested it.

Keeping your supply too low usually means your are not making enough profit to take advantage of lower prices when purchasing by cases or larger quantities. There can be some real savings there.

On the other hand, every product has a shelf life. It may be 6 months or 6 years, but eventually the effectiveness declines.

Having some of every product you ever see advertised can create a real mess with Safety Date Sheets (or the lack thereof).

You do want to be prepared with the right products for good results on whatever type of job you are doing.

So, there are balances. But almost every business would be better off if they found the right mix of products that worked for them; kept a good supply on hand (maybe to last until the next Customer Appreciation or stock-up day) and then focused on marketing and systems in their business rather than chemicals. Owner / operators tend to know enough about chemicals and equipment to form strong opinions. They generally know a lot less about marketing and running a business. They tend to focus on what they fell comfortable with (Which machine has more lift? or What is the pH of this chemical?) but those are seldom the things that could have the greatest impact on their business.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Adding to what Scott says, if your area suffers extremes of temperature, carrying oxidizers or other temp-sensitive products can become tricky. So whatever stock level you feel is best for your business, make sure that the chemicals you "stock up" on are kept in as stable an environment as possible.

I also have a lot of guys who come in for a gallon of this, a quart of that on a regular basis. And while some guys are truly so savvy and precise with their use that a gallon will last them a long time (cough cough Jim), some simply either don't plan ahead, or are on such a tight shoestring budget that a gallon is all they can afford on any given day.

Makes me sad, because the time and gas they spend getting onesies and twosies multiple times a week would more than buy them a case.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
they all work about the same, I think bio pro does a better job then enz all... lol I hear that on the prespray,,, I had a storage unit packed to the gills in cases of stuff I bought because I wanted to try it out......
Ive been breaking out the old stuff on easy jobs ...

good luck with it

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Adding to what Scott says, if your area suffers extremes of temperature, carrying oxidizers or other temp-sensitive products can become tricky. So whatever stock level you feel is best for your business, make sure that the chemicals you "stock up" on are kept in as stable an environment as possible.

I also have a lot of guys who come in for a gallon of this, a quart of that on a regular basis. And while some guys are truly so savvy and precise with their use that a gallon will last them a long time (cough cough Jim), some simply either don't plan ahead, or are on such a tight shoestring budget that a gallon is all they can afford on any given day.

Makes me sad, because the time and gas they spend getting onesies and twosies multiple times a week would more than buy them a case.
I have an interlink supply very close to me now they just moved to a new location, I havnt been in there yet,,, I am hoping it keeps a large supply on hand... Mama I worry about keeping too much on hand because of the weather the humidity and just in case we get another 45 inches of rain in 24 hrs...
I have plenty of fans but another storm and I wont have enough again... What I don't have is enough microban and others like it... What do you think about the pro-kure stuff?

Most of the stuff I have is for poly carpets and pet stuff because I do so many pet jobs here.... I have been working on a list of chems that I need to complete all jobs with... I will stock up from this list when I make some room to put them in lol

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I don't like too much on the shelves. I have full power on chemical shelf in the van and 1-2 weeks of reserves. I like variety, getting new products, retiring old ones. I tend to make business relationships personal. Especially in the summer time, I visit my supplier once a week, sometimes twice, no exception. It gives me an opportunity to get what I need, learn about new tools and products in the industry and mostly, we have a good time, food and 20 minutes of relaxing. Themes as a hunting, fishing and family affairs are most popular . You can't achieve the same with an online order...

Rick F

Apr 27, 2011
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
I keep about 6 months worth and buy my grout sealer by the case. Wood floor cleaner i buy in bulk also.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States

I buy the raw prespray ingredients in bulk and mix it up in small batches as we need it. Speciality spotters like stain1, red1, d-limonene, ink out, we are using in these tiny 4 oz sprayers that fit leak free in your back pocket and have reduced over use tremendously.

A small amount of surfactant in the hedpack is really all I want to rinse with for most jobs. Our chemical costs are so tiny per job it's measured in Penny's.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I have an interlink supply very close to me now they just moved to a new location, I havnt been in there yet,,, I am hoping it keeps a large supply on hand... Mama I worry about keeping too much on hand because of the weather the humidity and just in case we get another 45 inches of rain in 24 hrs...
I have plenty of fans but another storm and I wont have enough again... What I don't have is enough microban and others like it... What do you think about the pro-kure stuff?

Most of the stuff I have is for poly carpets and pet stuff because I do so many pet jobs here.... I have been working on a list of chems that I need to complete all jobs with... I will stock up from this list when I make some room to put them in lol
Never dealt with ProKure directly, so I've no opinion on their brand of chlorine dioxide one way or t'other. The one we deal with is Reset, and I can't speak highly enough of it WHEN IT IS USED CORRECTLY. The caveat here is, the potential for harm if it is misused is tremendous.