How much money needed to start a carpet cleaning business? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How much money needed to start a carpet cleaning business?

CoastalCleaning

Apr 15, 2009
Corpus Christi
Real Name
Ryan
Business Location
United States
There are a lot of us that have started a carpet cleaning business with less than 10k. Some just used cash and went the barebones route while others like myself went into the credit hole with hopes and dreams. I think 100% of us who did that would have easily chosen to go the 100k route. Its an obvious no brainer. However the reality is that you can start a business with under 10k. It can be done and it can be done successfully if done right. With or without credit.

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada

Rob I think it depends on where you want to start the business. Where you're going to work. In some areas a Rug Dr. just will not fly.
I'll give you an example. Right now in Toronto/Mississauga where I live and work, all summer I'll see a lot of landscape companies cutting grass and taking care of peoples properties. These guys are driving brand new F350, GMC 3500 etc... and pulling beautiful trailers with nice graphics...You NEVER see a broken down pickup like Sanford and Son with a push lawnmower in the back. In the winter they plow snow with these trucks then get a new one every 3-4 years.

BUT...in another city a guy can do very well with a 12 year old 1/2 ton and a single 15 year old ride on.

You know your question was wide open. You asked what it takes to start up now, 2011/2012. What we did 30 years ago is irrelevant.

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
Doctors study medicine, lawyers study law, electricians and plumbers study their craft too but if you want to be a business owner does it not make sense to study business or is the study of carpet cleaning enough?

I can tell you the big companies I deal with who have annual sales of 5-12 million have owners who know very little about carpet cleaning.

Mar 17, 2011
florida
Real Name
j.anzellotti
Business Location
United States
no meant to offend you caNADA JUST SAYING A SMALL BUSINESS IS A JOB AND A LARGE BUSINESS IS A COMPANY DOES NT MAKE SENSE TO ME I THINK A BUSINESS IS DAILY ACTIVITIES THATPRODUCE INCOME NO MATTER THE SIZE OF IT

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
a lot of you guys are describing a job not a business. a good job yes where you make your own hours and you are your own boss but let me ask you this...Would the largest carpet cleaning company (or any CC company) in your city want to buy your business right now??? Now THAT'S A BUSINESS.
I started with a 1999 ford van and a Prochem 100a, about $8k, Spent $4,500 in advertising first year... other than my websites I built the advertising didn't get me much...however you know what DRIVE got me? 178K in sales my first year, and $235K my second year. I did upgrade to a USED 05 van and USED Prochem Peak in the second year.

I just sold my business to a large investment group in town (I only had if for 2 1/2 years) for a solid 6 figure cash price. I love this biz so much I am doing to again (relocating because of non-compete). I could easily go out and buy all NEW equipment but I won't I already bought my USED van and my USED TM.

When I made my post earlier in this thread about "drive" being more important than "money" I was speaking directly from my own experience not some fantasy I had in my head

Yes you need good equipment in good condition but you don't have to spend a lot to get that... beyond that it is up to the person not their $ investment what it turns into. Pride of ownership, dedication, and some good old fashion Americian hard work...

Anyway that's just how I did it, everyone has to make their own plan and execute...

Reactions: ASAP and timmoore

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I started with a 1999 ford van and a Prochem 100a, about $8k, Spent $4,500 in advertising first year... other than my websites I built the advertising didn't get me much...however you know what DRIVE got me? 178K in sales my first year, and $235K my second year. I did upgrade to a USED 05 van and USED Prochem Peak in the second year.

I just sold my business to a large investment group in town (I only had if for 2 1/2 years) for a solid 6 figure cash price. I love this biz so much I am doing to again (relocating because of non-compete). I could easily go out and buy all NEW equipment but I won't I already bought my USED van and my USED TM.

When I made my post earlier in this thread about "drive" being more important than "money" I was speaking directly from my own experience not some fantasy I had in my head

Yes you need good equipment in good condition but you don't have to spend a lot to get that... beyond that it is up to the person not their $ investment what it turns into. Pride of ownership, dedication, and some good old fashion Americian hard work...

Anyway that's just how I did it, everyone has to make their own plan and execute...
Sound like a real smart guy but i have to tell you if someone {large investment group} paid a solid six figures for an owner operated $200k in sales, well they need their head examined.

Like i said you are definitely good but that is still a job to me and would never pay that much.

e9er

Nov 30, 2009
oooo
Real Name
none
Business Location
United States
Its just like poker all you need is a chip and a chair... in this case you need a cheap truckmount and new tennis shoes. Now hit the pavement.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Sound like a real smart guy but i have to tell you if someone {large investment group} paid a solid six figures for an owner operated $200k in sales, well they need their head examined.

Like i said you are definitely good but that is still a job to me and would never pay that much.
They were primarily paying for my website, accounts and goodwill...they had already invested in a carpet cleaning company here in town and added my biz on to boost sales. My business was automatic, did not require any marketing...it was all websites and accounts. Websites ran about $1500 annually to maintain and they have their own internal SEO guy to update and continue optimization.

I can't disclose the sale amount per our agreement but think about it if your were going buy that much business up front it does have some good value. Of course they risk losing the accounts to a lower bidder or Google making massive changes and websites losing rankings and placements but I gues that was a risk they were will to take. The funny thing is I didn't even have my business for sale, they approached me...I certainly feel blessed with the situation.

Sorry for getting a little of topic on this thread....

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
They were primarily paying for my website, accounts and goodwill...they had already invested in a carpet cleaning company here in town and added my biz on to boost sales. My business was automatic, did not require any marketing...it was all websites and accounts. Websites ran about $1500 annually to maintain and they have their own internal SEO guy to update and continue optimization.

I can't disclose the sale amount per our agreement but think about it if your were going buy that much business up front it does have some good value. Of course they risk losing the accounts to a lower bidder or Google making massive changes and websites losing rankings and placements but I gues that was a risk they were will to take. The funny thing is I didn't even have my business for sale, they approached me...I certainly feel blessed with the situation.

Sorry for getting a little of topic on this thread....
Thanks for explaining, i guess they could spend that much money anyway.
still sounds crazy to me, more power to you.

Reactions: rob allen

DJ Rev

Aug 13, 2013
Real Name
Trevor
There are a lot of us that have started a carpet cleaning business with less than 10k. Some just used cash and went the barebones route while others like myself went into the credit hole with hopes and dreams. I think 100% of us who did that would have easily chosen to go the 100k route. Its an obvious no brainer. However the reality is that you can start a business with under 10k. It can be done and it can be done successfully if done right. With or without credit.
How is it done right? I have 10k and want to start this the right way.

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
I think it was 18k that I started with. A great used van for 3k, I suppose another 8k for a CrossAmerican 6.6, a diesel burner, reels, generator etc., etc. Everything is expensive and adds up really fast!

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
Over the years since TMF started I have been asked this question numerous times and feel it's a loaded question. Love to hear a few different viewpoints to make sure my advise is sound. So how much money does it cost to start a carpet cleaning business?

ADDED COMMENT-Feel free to post how much money you had and what you bought when you started.

We started with 7500ish with a brand new truck mount and a used Astero...

Reactions: rob allen

headoftheclan

Aug 6, 2011
Wa state Puget Sound
www.guaranteed-carpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Shawn Clark
Business Location
United States
At this point i have bought a van,a 12 year old hydramaster 4.0 and 2 wands, reels, hoses, solution line general liability insurance,a website,and i still need i believe about 2k in equipment?I have spent just over 8k, i saved and sold a few toys to do this and i am running out of money way faster than i thought i would.I thought i would have a buffer in the bank to get going but i now think if i dont start producing revenue and stop spending i will be out of business before i ever get a chance to get going.

DJ Rev

Aug 13, 2013
Real Name
Trevor
At this point i have bought a van,a 12 year old hydramaster 4.0 and 2 wands, reels, hoses, solution line general liability insurance,a website,and i still need i believe about 2k in equipment?I have spent just over 8k, i saved and sold a few toys to do this and i am running out of money way faster than i thought i would.I thought i would have a buffer in the bank to get going but i now think if i dont start producing revenue and stop spending i will be out of business before i ever get a chance to get going.
Why do you think your having a hard time producing?

headoftheclan

Aug 6, 2011
Wa state Puget Sound
www.guaranteed-carpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Shawn Clark
Business Location
United States
Sorry i wasnt clear,I have not opened for businees officially.I will be taking a 2 day class at Interlink in Seattle on the 9th and 10th of sept to learn the basics of being a carpet cleaning technician after that i will be doing anything and everthing to get work.

DJ Rev

Aug 13, 2013
Real Name
Trevor
Sorry i wasnt clear,I have not opened for businees officially.I will be taking a 2 day class at Interlink in Seattle on the 9th and 10th of sept to learn the basics of being a carpet cleaning technician after that i will be doing anything and everthing to get work.
Good luck, Im sure everything will work out!

Reactions: headoftheclan