How much money needed to start a carpet cleaning business? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How much money needed to start a carpet cleaning business?

robbo

Jan 25, 2011
Queensland, Australia
Real Name
Robert Cooke
Business Location
Australia
100k at least

van + equipment: 20k

Training: 3kish

Years wages: 50k min

oh **** fund:10k

Marketing fund, 15k

And everything else that comes up

years of sore back, dealing with the annoying public, and sleepless nights..............Priceless

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
To start a carpet cleaning "job"? $6,000

to start a carpet cleaning business? $100,000
Way too many excellent replies to quote but i think cosway nails it.
I would seperate and say how much money to you need to operate a carpet cleaning business {AFTER EQUIPMENT IS DONE}

Guys get this completely wrong IMO, a $500 payment is not going to bankrupt you, if you cant cover that... well you will never make it anyway.

It is operating funds,cash. If my good friend was asking me i would say $25-50k in cash AFTER equipment.
Can you start with less cash? absolutely YES but you then have to trade labor for cash and it takes longer.As $1k a day stated you need alot of drive either way.

kennedy

Mar 16, 2011
southern Ind.
bruceandkimscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Bruce Kennedy
Business Location
United States
this is an easy one for me as I am one week away from finishing my trailer mount. I had 100k in cash to start, I estimated 9k would get it, but I will end up paying 12k, and that is everything from trailer, M5, water heater, 360i, down to a box of trash bags, and training at Bridgepoint in July. I all ready have a tow vehicle and generator. my trailer and 3 pieces of equipment cost $7300, add chems, wands, airmovers, filters, water tanks, vacuums, extra hose, water claw, uv lite, ramp, business cards, etc and it adds up quick. I am lucky, no debt, kids on their own, I sold my Kroger stock(1/3 was free given to me as a bonus) and paid cash for everything.

Mar 17, 2011
florida
Real Name
j.anzellotti
Business Location
United States
8 years ago
lic. and insur. $750
personal vehicle - $0
us products cobra h1-$600
wand hoses-$150
chemicals $125
coupons ad- $350/3months
hard work-priceless

$ put in since to grow the biz -approx #25,000

CoastalCleaning

Apr 15, 2009
Corpus Christi
Real Name
Ryan
Business Location
United States
We took a huge leap of faith when we started this business. We didn't have a safety net in the bank and we pretty much put everything we had into the start up.

I put 1k down on a newer 2008 Ford F250 Cargo van. Financed the balance of 12k. We have a payment that runs a little less than 300 a month.

Then I put 3,500 down on a new truckmount and new equipment like hoses, wand, SX, reels and fresh water tank. Ended up financing about 20k. Somewhere around 500 a month payment.

Then invested another 1k in registering the business DBA, Quickbooks, paper literature, business cards and new shirts and shorts...and so forth. Basic starter stuff.

So we put up about 5,500 for a clean used van and new equipment.

With insurance, chemicals and all the monthly payments together to run the business we pay right around 1,100 a month to be functional.

We were tight the first 6 months. Behind a few times actually. Then it finally broke loose and repeat business kicked in and things have been on a steady rise up the last year and half.

We've since invested in a nicer website and seo along with some other moderate advertising ventures. We added an inexpensive buffer about 5 months ago too.

Three things I would have done differently.

- box van over cargo van is a no brainer

- website and seo should have been done on day one

- (safety net) a few grand in savings would have resulted in a lot less sleepless nights

I would have loved to pay cash for everything but we just didn't have it and I didn't want to start with a porty and old beat up van.

Reactions: Erik Cable

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
I am gong with Cosway... to me 100k .. one of the number one reasons most business go out of business is lack of capital..... you have need to have a suplment salery to keep ya going....... and you need to market hard in the beging

Mr.E

Mar 3, 2010
Real Name
Scott Ehrlich
Business Location
United States
I agree $100k however a biz plan is just as important as Capitol. The money is easy compared to executing and adapting to a solid biz plan. The plan will change and need updating after each obstacle. Find a mentor or create an advisory board of related backgrounds. I am on my 9th company and one did fail. I had a great plan and little capitol so perhaps I don't know jack! LOL
Over.

orbit-kleen

Jul 28, 2009
seattle
Real Name
Frank A
Business Location
United States
I started with 50k and sometime I feel that it is not enough.

minimum 35k:

30-35k plus money to live on for 1 year. 20k for used van and a new TM.

10k for fans, HF sprayers, upholstery tool, water claw, rotovac or CRB, chems, hoses, wands, glides, reels etc.

5 k for advertising, shirts, lettering, magnets, postcards etc.

This would be very tough business trying to start with a PORTABLE. Encap and low moisture just don't have a high enough quality for RESIDENTIAL IMO. I have been cleaning with VLM for over 10 years 175 and OP and I know that it doesn't perform consistently day in and day out it will make you look like a fool.

When custy's call a professional carpet cleaning service they expect a TM. I would be embarrassed bringing in a bunch of dirty rags to clean there nice home with, Just my Opinion.

Customer always ask for TM Steam.

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
Here's how I did it:
$15,000 new truckmount
$16,000 used van
$36,000 in advertising over 3 years
$60,000 to pay myself the first two years
$127,000 total
Crap, I never realized I spent that much! I probably would have never done it without money from the sale of some land. I have respect for those who start with almost nothing and are able to build a business.

extremecleantn

Jul 25, 2010
Tennessee
www.extremecleantn.com
Real Name
Dale Compton
Business Location
United States
How do you put a dollar figure on drive? That is what it really takes. Anybody with a little credit can go get enough equipment to get started. But, you have to be willing to live on beans and rice, and rice and beans for a couple years. Starting your own business is hard, and it will not be a success overnight.

That being said, you can find a van with a truckmount installed and ready to go on craigslist anytime for 15k. Buy that and find someone to train you and go get 'em.

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
why is carpet cleaning SO different to you guys?

how much does it cost to start a plumbing company? donut shop? or dental office?
not many industries start with everything used and beat up so is this why CC has such a bad rep?

This is exactly why I don't sell used equipment. I don't want to spend my day talking to guys who have a Rug Doctor in their beat up car and now they're bleeding me for free information on how to clean carpet and get stains out. Been there dun dat for 5 years and it made my head spin as they walk out of the shop 2 hours later and aint spent a dime.

extremecleantn

Jul 25, 2010
Tennessee
www.extremecleantn.com
Real Name
Dale Compton
Business Location
United States
why is carpet cleaning SO different to you guys?

how much does it cost to start a plumbing company? donut shop? or dental office?
not many industries start with everything used and beat up so is this why CC has such a bad rep?

This is exactly why I don't sell used equipment. I don't want to spend my day talking to guys who have a Rug Doctor in their beat up car and now they're bleeding me for free information on how to clean carpet and get stains out. Been there dun dat for 5 years and it made my head spin as they walk out of the shop 2 hours later and aint spent a dime.
Piss Poor Post.

Reactions: timmoore

Timothy

Aug 14, 2010
KENTUCKY
Real Name
Timothy Jackson
Business Location
United States
6000.00 dollars and have a prior history with a cc company that has pecker heads running it that didn't give a squat about the custy's, so I relieved them of their custy's that I wanted and that I worked to get making min wage with those ungrateful a$$ holes, it does not take 100K to get started and make money! If someone new with little funds has a desire and drive....then it can be done and done successful, orbit-kleen makes a truly uneducated statement that no one should listen to at all, there are many right here on TMF that has done very successful with a Porty and continues to grow business day by day, so to any new person with low funds...keep digging in those heals and your money and time will pay off. not just my opinion but a matter of fact.

your good sons

Apr 11, 2011
Real Name
bye
Business Location
United States
Typically a used porty at the lower end is worth 60-70% of the original price if it is like new. Even moderate wear can knock it down to 50%. Why buy new? It will be used as soon as you start your 1st job. How mnny businesses start and fail within 6-12 months? Most of them. Why buy new when you can buy someone's mistake?

Sep 1, 2010
California
www.amazingcarpetservices.com
Real Name
Mark Allen
Business Location
United States
:-DWell 30 Yeras ago I got into it for around $1,500.00-2,000.00
I would say with What I know now and what it would cost to make a nice living in today's economy
Would be around $25,000.00-50,000.00 and a lot of get up and go attitiude
Van, Equiptment, Supplies, Insurance, Emergency Reserve Account for slow times,
Advertising, CPA, Training,Training,Training

Mar 14, 2011
Victoria
www.greendalecleaning.com.au
Real Name
Steve Penn
Business Location
Australia
i looked at a few different options new v used/second hand and buy v lease and the best option for me was to buy
new HP 1600psi Porty @ $11000 inc hard surface tools, Carpet wand, Good Upholstery tool, bulk chemicals, and hoses.
Windsor Vacuum $350 ex demo
Second hand van @ $2500 + sign writing $500
second hand reel @ 200
second hand floor polisher $100
second hand trailer $1100
Vac booster (Building one now) $200
then i started buying extras from USA eg 3 extra sets of 50ft hoses, little giant heater, spotters kit, water claws (medium and spotter), crevice tool, stair tool, carpet brooms, bonnet pads and assorted hand tools total $3500 inc freight to oz

total to set up approx $19750 in equipment
now looking at advertising budget $4000

did it over a period of time on a shoe string budget but own everything so business is debt free.

to do it all new over here for same setup not including van would be $30000+
(a truck mount is dearer)

in time as business grows i MIGHT look at importing a truck mount.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Depends on how much money people are talking about, how much work to receive it and cost of living.
In small town USA for example $100,000 a year is ALOT of money but in NYC poverty.

I would agree you can bootstrap your way, God knows i have done my fair share of toughing it out.
Over long term though you want to put some money to work for you, not just manual labor. But over long term

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
a lot of you guys are describing a job not a business. a good job yes where you make your own hours and you are your own boss but let me ask you this...Would the largest carpet cleaning company (or any CC company) in your city want to buy your business right now??? Now THAT'S A BUSINESS.

Mar 17, 2011
florida
Real Name
j.anzellotti
Business Location
United States
some of the posts here make me laugh
a lot of you guys are describing a job not a business. a good job yes where you make your own hours and you are your own boss but let me ask you this...Would the largest carpet cleaning company (or any CC company) in your city want to buy your business right now??? Now THAT'S A BUSINESS.

Latest posts