How much has your truckmount made you?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I purchased my current truckmount in 1985 for $5200 cash. It has been completely modified over the years to now include dual wand cleaning, blistering heat 240 degrees ATWands, and a foolproof APO. It runs a total of 12 flow, ROOTS #45 blower, CAT PUMP, LP heat.

It is now in its 3rd van.
Yes, but there is only one @Bob Savage

cleaningcolin

Jan 23, 2019
mistersteamer.ca
Real Name
Colin
Business Location
Canada
I’m going to chime in on this because I highly disagree with the narrative that the truckmount makes the money.

My truckmount does not make me any money. I price jobs according to the quality prep work I am willing to perform, before even turning the truck on.

The truckmount is a rinsing tool, which can increase overall productivity when used in conjunction with all the other right ingredients.

That’s like saying it’s the oven that makes the baker the money. No. An amazing baker can use an easy bake oven, take his sweet time, and still generate the same income someone with a larger oven can if he charges right.

The truckmount theory that it generates the income for this industry is a terrible one, and it produces low quality cleaners who rely on the performance of the machine rather than knowing how to do the job right.

Truckmounts are tools, nothing more.

A trained technician could do a better job with a vacuum, rake, crb and VLM system then a guy who has an 870.

With all that being said, when purchasing a truckmount, I do agree that guys should purchase a quality machine and one that delivers great performance. I’ll also agree with the narrative that you should buy the best you can afford.

A quality truckmount can certainly improve your business - but the truckmount does not generate the income.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’m going to chime in on this because I highly disagree with the narrative that the truckmount makes the money.

My truckmount does not make me any money. I price jobs according to the quality prep work I am willing to perform, before even turning the truck on.

The truckmount is a rinsing tool, which can increase overall productivity when used in conjunction with all the other right ingredients.

That’s like saying it’s the oven that makes the baker the money. No. An amazing baker can use an easy bake oven, take his sweet time, and still generate the same income someone with a larger oven can if he charges right.

The truckmount theory that it generates the income for this industry is a terrible one, and it produces low quality cleaners who rely on the performance of the machine rather than knowing how to do the job right.

Truckmounts are tools, nothing more.

A trained technician could do a better job with a vacuum, rake, crb and VLM system then a guy who has an 870.

With all that being said, when purchasing a truckmount, I do agree that guys should purchase a quality machine and one that delivers great performance. I’ll also agree with the narrative that you should buy the best you can afford.

A quality truckmount can certainly improve your business - but the truckmount does not generate the income.
Good post. All things being equal, then the best equipment can be a difference maker.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Good post. All things being equal, then the best equipment can be a difference maker.
It is not a good post imho. Particularly the part about using an "Easy bake oven" would be as good as a quality commercial grade oven or even the one in your kitchen right now. This statement is just false, "That’s like saying it’s the oven that makes the baker the money. No. An amazing baker can use an easy bake oven, take his sweet time, and still generate the same income someone with a larger oven can if he charges right." No, that baker will work harder, slower, and LOSE his customers! The same thing applies to machines. I disagree with this statement as well, "A trained technician could do a better job with a vacuum, rake, crb and VLM system then a guy who has an 870." Place 100 carpet cleaners side by side and see how that works out. I started out with a 100 psi, single vacuum Castex Challenger 900. There really is no comparing that machine to a truck mount particularly in how well I could do the job AND how fast. It was TOUGH to clean any really dirty carpet with that thing. I know there are portables today that can rival a truck mount both in productivity, once set up, and quality of the work. To say it makes no difference is simply not true. Ask anyone who's done both if they would like to use a 60 or 100 psi portable w/o heat everyday or even a 1/2 way decent truck mount. Don't give them a choice for one day or a week either, but at least a full year of all types of jobs. They will be eating those words. I know whereof I speak. It takes a certain amount of power both in vacuum, psi water pressure, and preferably good heat to clean your average job effectively. Can you do them with a cheap machine and make the customer happy? Of course you can. I've done it numerous times. Would I do it if I didn't have to? Absolutely NOT!!!!!!!!!!! The truth is truckmounts do make you money and generally speaking MORE of it and faster at that along with a superior job in many cases.

Btw, this is not to say guys using VLM or a portables can't do a good job. Of course they can. There is a major difference and I believe all these machines have their place in our industry. My beef is to say it makes no difference either in the performance of the job or how much money each job can generate. I don't believe that plays out in the real world.

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
one thing newbies should learn very quickly is that we are NOT selling carpet cleaning. We are selling our TIME! The more efficient we can become, the more money we will make. (now please note that I did not say to work faster, just be more effective with our time)

A TM can provide higher heat, more pressure and more vacuum which, in effect, will make us more efficient and save us time which......................makes us more money.

So yes, the truckmount DOES make us more money.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
one thing newbies should learn very quickly is that we are NOT selling carpet cleaning. We are selling our TIME! The more efficient we can become, the more money we will make. (now please note that I did not say to work faster, just be more effective with our time)

A TM can provide higher heat, more pressure and more vacuum which, in effect, will make us more efficient and save us time which......................makes us more money.

So yes, the truckmount DOES make us more money.

^^^ This is the point. For the Easy-Bake analogy - I am a damn good carpet cleaner. I cannot clean a carpet with a rug doctor anywhere near the quality as I can with my Apex 570.

I am not necessarily selling "carpet cleaning" as I am selling the deepest clean of a carpet in the shortest, efficient, safest, most respectful amount of time with my customer. They don't want me in their home any longer than I need to be either. My ability to discern if my equipment is working properly, hydroforce metering properly, vacuum working properly to recover the dirty water, having knowledge of high flow cleaning for best results etc. None of that came quickly over the last 7 years.

I routinely knock out $500 jobs in 2-2.5 hours nowadays because I am extremely dialed into my equipment, no wasted movements, I know exactly what chemical to use or bring in based on stains etc.

I just cleaned a house Friday where the lady had just bought the house but had no money to replace the carpets (they were pretty damn bad). 3 hours later she almost cried because the carpets looked damn near brand new. It would've cost her $10,000 to replace all of her carpet.

So I see it as I saved her $9,500 vs costing her $500.

Portable just simply can't do that.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
^^^ This is the point. For the Easy-Bake analogy - I am a damn good carpet cleaner. I cannot clean a carpet with a rug doctor anywhere near the quality as I can with my Apex 570.

I am not necessarily selling "carpet cleaning" as I am selling the deepest clean of a carpet in the shortest, efficient, safest, most respectful amount of time with my customer. They don't want me in their home any longer than I need to be either. My ability to discern if my equipment is working properly, hydroforce metering properly, vacuum working properly to recover the dirty water, having knowledge of high flow cleaning for best results etc. None of that came quickly over the last 7 years.

I routinely knock out $500 jobs in 2-2.5 hours nowadays because I am extremely dialed into my equipment, no wasted movements, I know exactly what chemical to use or bring in based on stains etc.

I just cleaned a house Friday where the lady had just bought the house but had no money to replace the carpets (they were pretty damn bad). 3 hours later she almost cried because the carpets looked damn near brand new. It would've cost her $10,000 to replace all of her carpet.

So I see it as I saved her $9,500 vs costing her $500.

Portable just simply can't do that.
You should have been able to do it just as fast and just as well with a Bissell or a Rug Doctor. ;) You know, just like a master chef can use an easy bake oven and put out a 5 star meal.

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
I got my first TM in March. Chem-Tex 14. Probably the smallest TM you can buy. I paid $8500 for the machine. $23,000 for the whole rig.

From April to the end of 2021. My truck mount made me $65k. Not bad for the first 9 months.

I am excited to double that in 2022!

I did get to use an El Diablo machine for a month this year. The difference in performance between the two machines was astounding. Can't beat diesel heat. With an adjustment to the vacuum relief on the Chem-Tex, the lift is now almost as good as the El Diablo.

If I was going to buy a second rig, I would probably get another small Chem-Tex. The return on investment seems better than, say an El Diablo.

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
the return on investment may be there but what if the ElDiablo can make you more efficient (dont know if it can as I am not familiar with it). That would make a difference on your return on inve

the return on investment may be there but what if the ElDiablo can make you more efficient (dont know if it can as I am not familiar with it). That would make a difference on your return on investment number
Specs on the machine are only useful to a certain extent. They matter, but their utility towards more $$ per hour is not linear. It levels off, like the utility of everything in life and business.

In my experience, the operator of the business needs to decrease the number of required steps to getting paid, regardless of the business model. I have experience now in both food service and carpet cleaning.

Simple is best.

For me, it's all about eliminating extraneous steps, while still matching the expectations of the customer.

Take for instance the CRB. Excellent tool, but it represents an additional step in the process, as well as additional expenses. Now, would a rotary extractor (1 step) accomplish 90% of what the 2 steps (CRB + Wand) can do? My thoughts are yes.

The addition of a fresh water tank seems to be also valuable. Eliminating the step of hooking up.

So yes tools are important, but their utility levels off.

If $9,000 gets me 90% of the efficacy, why spend the next $30,000 just for the last 10% of efficacy?

That doesn't make sense to me. I could literally buy and staff a whole van for that, which would double the gross earnings of the company. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Perfect is the enemy of good. Slight imperfections are readily made up for by customer service, anyway.

Just my thoughts.

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
well we could go on but lets just say we have different ways of looking at things.

BTW, the soonest available appointment I have is the first week of February. Howr you doin?
Haha yes. The important thing is that we are both busy doing right by our customers! I am doing well! Thanks for asking.

I stay booked up about a week ahead, but I am looking into hiring a phone answering service, because I am missing calls cleaning or driving.

It's warm and rainy here in Portland, which is good because people track in mud onto their carpets. I thought it would slow down in the winter, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I am excited to see what 2022 brings!

How are things in the Appleton area?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I have had 2 truckmounts
The first one pay itself out maybe 30 times before retiring it. I got to admit that machine sucked when it to maintenance. I spent a lot of money maintaining it.

My second machine a SS370 saphire was purchased in 2018 and it has hardly given me any trouble....so far.
only oil changes, belt change, belt adjustments have needed to be serviced, and 1 oil pressure safety shutoff switch.

It has and is still making me income. The machine has more than paid for itself at least 8 times or more to this date.

Having a reliable machine is extremely important.

I cannot say that this ss370 of bullet proof or that it will last forever but So far I cannot complaint

Reactions: pgcleaner

cleaningcolin

Jan 23, 2019
mistersteamer.ca
Real Name
Colin
Business Location
Canada
Don’t take me wrong here fellas, truckmounts can certainly increase productivity. I love my 370, and I’d love a bigger and better truckmount to offer a more time efficient and thorough cleaning.

With that being said, I could clean carpets pretty well with a rug doc, a vac and crb with the right prespray. 100%. But it would definitely take me longer.

The point is, get out of the mindset that your equipment is paying your salary.

How terrible, and what a recipe for failure should your equipment fail you.

If you really think your equipment is what is making you the money - you aren’t even self-employed. Your truckmount is your employer.

You work for your truckmount, since ultimately it’s the truckmount that generates the income.

You’re just it’s helper.

If you haven’t yet learned that it’s you the business operator/ owner that makes the money than I feel sorry for you.

So many guys advertising their truckmounts out here (Canada). I see it all the time (“POWERFUL TRUCKMOUNTED CARPET CLEANING!!”)

It’s very sad. These guys use the same advertising tactics the machine manufacturer used on them to swoon their totally different customers.

Your customer wants a professional. And they’re willing to pay for it.

I hope you step out of the mentality that your truckmount makes the money.

Your truckmount assists you in accomplishing the task that you have set out to make money with.

It can assist you make that money quicker, but it isn’t making the money for you. It’s an inanimate object.

Wake up!

cleaningcolin

Jan 23, 2019
mistersteamer.ca
Real Name
Colin
Business Location
Canada
Oh and here is some perspective - since 2020 I’ve made about 200k whilst operating the 370. I’ve only got 760 hrs on the machine, with nearly 2 years of operation.

If my “truckmount” were generating that income than I’d have way more hours on it.

Price the job right. That’s how you make money. Don’t be so scared to charge.

Deliver exceedingly above expectation for your customer. Garner reviews. Become an expert in your area. Provide amazing, personable customer service. Be your customers friend while keeping things kosher. Take that extra 15 minutes to build rapport with your customer. If you’re doing a big job and you are grabbing a coffee beforehand - ask them if they’d like one too.. Take the time to explain what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. Show them you care.

Your truckmount doesn’t do any of those things, but those are the things you need to do to make money.

The truckmount is a tool.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Oh and here is some perspective - since 2020 I’ve made about 200k whilst operating the 370. I’ve only got 760 hrs on the machine, with nearly 2 years of operation.

If my “truckmount” were generating that income than I’d have way more hours on it.

Price the job right. That’s how you make money. Don’t be so scared to charge.

Deliver exceedingly above expectation for your customer. Garner reviews. Become an expert in your area. Provide amazing, personable customer service. Be your customers friend while keeping things kosher. Take that extra 15 minutes to build rapport with your customer. If you’re doing a big job and you are grabbing a coffee beforehand - ask them if they’d like one too.. Take the time to explain what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. Show them you care.

Your truckmount doesn’t do any of those things, but those are the things you need to do to make money.

The truckmount is a tool.

I think you've changed directions here. Nobody would disagree with you that it is the OPERATOR not the truckmount that makes you money. However - I make far more money with my truckmount because I know how to OPERATE it if that makes sense. It's not black and white, it's all a synergistic effect.

If I showed up in customers homes with a rug doctor I'd be laughed out the door. So in some senses I am somewhat dependent on my equipment same as a carpenter is dependent on his tools.