How much furniture do you move? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How much furniture do you move?

How much furn do you move?

• Everything (including heavy items above)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I talk to cleaners worldwide who do and don’t move furniture. Like to get a consensus on if you move furniture and if so, how much?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If I didn't agree to move furniture I would have been out of business long, long ago. I definitely do charge extra for the time and trouble and 10 bucks a room mentioned above may not get it for me. The client must get involved if furniture moving is excessive. Get them to clear out the lighter stuff before you arrive and move what they can't move or won't move. Gotta charge though if you move furniture. It's a time killer for sure! Sometimes just the added cost involved will make some change their mind, but not always. I'm good with it either way.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Almost none unless if a request has come from an elderly and I don't charge for that. I usually tell my customers that I am here to clean your carpets not move furniture. They understand, however most of them they don't like the big furniture to be moved around neither do I. Once in a full moon if I get a call asking the furniture(moving beds on one side of the room, then move them back when underneath is cleaned) will be moved then I tell them double the price and they would say I will check with my spouse and call back.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
this should be a good thread.

Personally I like to walk through each room and ask what they want moved and not moved. Every job is different.

- bedrooms; most of the time they don't want the furniture moved. However I have a few that want the beds and dressers moved. If I can SAFELY move it, I will and charge for it.

-Living Rooms/Family Rooms: Every house is different so I would say 60% say clean around furniture and 40% ask me to move furniture and I charge for it.

I don't itemize these things out on their copy of the invoice, just give them the total. I have a system worked out where I get the same $ per hour if I clean around furniture or move furniture. For instance, if they ask me to clean around furniture and it takes me 3 hours to do the job for $300 or if they want me to move the furniture and it takes me 4 hours to do the job I should make $400 - so its the same amount per hour either way. Please note that the extra hour is not an entire hour of moving furniture but rather the extra time it takes to move, clean behind and reset furniture.

I know cleaners that don't move furniture and any way I can differentiate myself from them, the better off I will be. (ie. Joe Polish)

My take on this is that if the customer wants something moved (or cleaned) and you don't offer that service, you are basically telling them "sorry Ma'am, I don't want your money" Id rather work all day at one jobsite than run around town doing small jobs.

Reactions: Brian P.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I always ask is it going back in the same spot? If they say yes, I talk them out of it. Then I follow up with, wouldn't you rather spend money on cleaning something that needs it like that sofa or the super easy patio furniture that I can be messy with and not sweat a bit? i.e. over spray, QC's over hardwood, using a NaClO based prespray, etc... Yes! Ok perfect!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Customer must unload furniture prior to me showing up. That usually changes their mind. "Eh how much dirt could really be under there. Dont worry about it" ;)

Be careful if you are moving furniture. You could wind up buying some crap ikea furniture. If its loaded it will crumble like a deck of cards. Especially if painters have been there. They are known to just drag stuff causing racking and weakening it just enough for the next poor sucker to move it.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
when I am on the sales call, I ask the customer if they know how to prepare for us to clean the carpets. Then I explain to move all knick knacks and breakables, vacuum carpet, empty cabinets if I am to move them. I repeat to vacuum the carpet..
when I get there if they have vacuumed the carpet good enough I do not vac the carpet... Then I prespray and set up each room to extract or scrub depending on what I sold. then I knock it out...
I do not charge for furniture its built into the price....

Reactions: igare

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
when I am on the sales call, I ask the customer if they know how to prepare for us to clean the carpets. Then I explain to move all knick knacks and breakables, vacuum carpet, empty cabinets if I am to move them. I repeat to vacuum the carpet..
when I get there if they have vacuumed the carpet good enough I do not vac the carpet... Then I prespray and set up each room to extract or scrub depending on what I sold. then I knock it out...
I do not charge for furniture its built into the price....
Good technique I need to implement some of what you do myself.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
well you live and learn when to do it and when to not do it,,, most of the time it works out , every now and then I get burned by it.

i do as you far as during prelim walk through. we move a lot of furniture since we do flooring too.

they must unhook electronics and move knick knacks and valuables then we will furniture empty. if its loaded you run the risk of damaging it like mentioned above.

however i charge more for furniture, why? cuz its hard work! i think i hate sectionals more than anything well tearing down huge four poster beds with canopies is just plain evil

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I'll start with a statement. In the last 10 years I have not spent single dollar on advertising. I don't generally move furniture. On occasion I move office chair or kiddies plastic tables and beds, where no rust or bleeding is in question. For those worried that you would get less business or no business by not moving furniture, it's a process of getting to that " no moving furniture mode". Between pre vac, crb-ing, extraction, post padding and who knows what else we're doing to deserve a buck, I don't see a place for moving furniture in the process. I'd rather focus on speed drying instead. No disrespect to those who do that for elderly people....
And how did I get there? Simply by explaining that I appreciate carpet will be vacuumed and furniture moved prior my arrival... I have never lost customer because of that...

Reactions: Swani21

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Side note. For me a swivel wand eliminates a lot furniture moving since it can lay flat and get under so many items. Not everything, but a lot things.

1b35772718a5516e15d2d70fdcc96702.jpg

Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Yes swivel wand is a must to avoid it. I also tell them that moving back the furniture on a damped surface may not dry and mold and mildew may start to happen, that really gets them not to move big furniture. Plus showing them the swivel wand is a bonus. Man I am there to clean the open area carpets, if they want the whole room I do tell them over the phone to move all the furniture before I get there, I will clean it and then they will be putting it back after 4 hours on a dry surface not on a damped surface. I am not a mover, I am a cleaner. With elderly if they have small tables I do move them or basic things like maybe mattress something that is light to move around I will move them. However I will move sofas vacuum underneath and then put them back to their places unless if underneath is dirty then I would wet clean, and tell them that once the carpet dries make sure you change the sofa area so underneath also dries and then put it back.

Reactions: rob allen

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
I charge $8.50 per piece of furniture moved if it is other than a sofa or smaller which I move for free. I do not move beds, family heirlooms, computers, electronics of any type, antiques, easily broken things etc.

I will clean under the bed if the customer has it disassembled.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
There's absolutely no benefit to moving furniture, it puts you at risk, more time on project and ultimately is a waste of time if the furniture is going right back. NOONE WILL SEE CLEAN CARPET UNDER THE FURNITURE. This isn't rocket science. Your house, your furniture, you move it before I get there. Understand it can't be in my way while cleaning and NO you can't move it back till the carpet dries. Have a ever lost a client over this policy. NOPE. Why make your life more difficult.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
There's absolutely no benefit to moving furniture, it puts you at risk, more time on project and ultimately is a waste of time if the furniture is going right back. NOONE WILL SEE CLEAN CARPET UNDER THE FURNITURE. This isn't rocket science. Your house, your furniture, you move it before I get there. Understand it can't be in my way while cleaning and NO you can't move it back till the carpet dries. Have a ever lost a client over this policy. NOPE. Why make your life more difficult.

That’s a little too hardcore for me but I respect it.

Reactions: crash1big

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Sheesh!!! I've moved all that furniture for over 30 years and I didn't have to? Crap!

Reactions: jtsunbrite