How much can you clean in an hour?

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock
Rob,
How can you do a quality job in a room in 7-minutes?
10'' X 10' room, vacuum, pre-spray (dwell time of 10-min), then hot water extraction. I'm not seeing it.
Agree 7 minutes is pushing it for hotels......
And that doesnt include prespray and spitting.....

I charge extra to spit on the carpet

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I think that's a backwards way of thinking. If you need to be billing at $100 / hour to be profitable then your cost / sq ft has to reflect the conditions.
So for estimating purposes you may come up with several formulas to use depending on variables.
Wide open CGD Vs. trashed rentals for example

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’m all over the place. I’ve cleaned 1200 sq ft in an hour just to go to my next job and spend 3 hours on 1000 sq ft. Conditions really make a difference.

I agree with tracking production $$$ per hour. You might spend 10-15 minutes cleaning a lightly soiled room and get $40 then spend an hour in the next room doing patches, red removal, or urine removal and get over $100 for that room.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob,
How can you do a quality job in a room in 7-minutes?
10'' X 10' room, vacuum, pre-spray (dwell time of 10-min), then hot water extraction. I'm not seeing it.
You do know I was quoting a Stanley Steeler guy right?

VividCleaning

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
www.vividcleaning.ca
Real Name
Roland Oskalns
Business Location
Canada
Carpet cleaning can range anywhere from 300 sq. ft. p/h for carpet cleaning in a condo (with portable) to 2000 sq.ft p/h. commercial carpet cleaning (excluding restaurants those always take forever) On average about a 1000 sq.ft

Jc_Rug

Mar 9, 2017
Real Name
Justin Wilbers
I have been asked to "clock" my crews to come up with an average square foot per hour. Does anyone have this information? I'm seeking averages please. I've researched (googled), and come up with numbers that are 400-2,000 feet per hour.

Just to keep it in my wheelhouse, we use truck mount hot water extraction with a wand.

Thank you all...

450 SQUARE FOOT PER 45 MIN.

It should take a hour and a half to do 3 rooms roughly 15x15 standard size thats 150 sq foot per 15 min. Ending in 45 min to do 450 sq foot and 45 min from the time you pull up knock and then inspect the area before setting up and pre spraying then loading back up added in should all take 45 min. In a total of 1.5 hours to do a 3 bed room house but 45 min of it is actucally running the wand and that may sound like alot but thats just what our time is based off of!

Reactions: rob allen

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
I break it down by the rm. We average 15-20 minutes per rm from the time we show up.
5-10 minute halls, 20-25 minutes stairs.
That includes prespray, agitation, extraction, grooming and talking to customer.

On commercial we do about 1500 SQFT per hr.

These are the numbers I use to calculate job times.

Reactions: rob allen

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
It takes as long as it takes to get it clean.

Too many factors involved in order to answer this question with an accurate reply, as in soiling factor, extra stains, urine contamination, etc., hence:

It takes as long as it takes to get it clean.

I can say this because I am an O/O and I am on every job!

Last edited:

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
I’m all over the place. I’ve cleaned 1200 sq ft in an hour just to go to my next job and spend 3 hours on 1000 sq ft. Conditions really make a difference.

I agree with tracking production $$$ per hour. You might spend 10-15 minutes cleaning a lightly soiled room and get $40 then spend an hour in the next room doing patches, red removal, or urine removal and get over $100 for that room.
Todd do you still have the old ACE. Truckmount????
The big one with the 59 blower and 40-50hp engine????

Michael Vieira

Sep 14, 2017
Real Name
Michael Vieira
It depends been in this business for 40 yrs now I've done jobs when i thought it would be like a hour and half and it take 3 hrs what kind of service do you want to be the kind that get in and gets out or the kind that make lifetime customers??

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Todd do you still have the old ACE. Truckmount????
The big one with the 59 blower and 40-50hp engine????
No, I used that machine when I worked for Coit.

astrikingimage

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2010
NM
Real Name
Jose Salazar
Business Location
United States
I estimate 400-800 sq ft a hour for my crews. Lower end on small jobs and higher end on big jobs. Also on Saturday when they want to get off early then they do 2x the sq ft per hour.