How many times do you stroke it?

Jan 24, 2022
www.daoofcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Matt Weber
Alright you wand Jedis, given an "average" soiled carpet, how many passes (wet and dry) do you go over a space of carpet? I've seen guys push with trigger squeeze (wet), then suck it back out without (dry) and move on. I've seen guys hold the trigger and go over a spot pushing and pulling with trigger squeeze (wet) 3 or 4 times before coming back with another 3 or 4 dry strokes. I'm just starting, but it seems like a single stroke won't pull out the prespray all the way, and it seems pointless to me to be pulling the trigger on a pull stroke since you're sucking it up as soon as you spray, but I'm wrong about most things.
I'm running a truckmount so that's what I'm interested in, but it probably doesn't hurt to hear the portables too.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
2 dry passes per each cleaning pass is standard. However I say give as many strokes as needed to reach a cleaning climax.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Agree, if you have a window in your wand head you can see exactly when to stop dry stroking.

I have the wand triggered on the front and back stroke all the way to one side of the room, then dry pass on the way back. If an area needs an extra rinse stroke I will do it on the way back with another dry stroke. Please note that its not how many dry wand strokes you do, but more how fast you are moving the wand. PSI may also be a factor.

Take the case of the lower level Family Room I cleaned on Friday. Very light soil so I turned the PSI down to 300. First part of the room I cleaned was dry by the time I was done using no fans.

I never used a wand with a window but then had the opportunity to try one. Turns out I did not need to change the way I did things.

Glides help too.

Reactions: sbsscn

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
Same as Mr Otto. You'll develop a trained eye for those areas that may need an extra stroke where the dog has been laying or in front of the sofa.

Be sure to turn your pressure way down on berber and do slow dry strokes. Also I prefer to prespray berber or low pile carpet with a pump up sprayer instead of Hydroforce to prevent overwetting.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I use a T-Rex so I never have to dry stroke - improved my cleaning times by almost 30% =)

Those who think I am kidding come try it out anytime you'd like - Apex 570, 600 PSI, I do a 1/3rd overlap pass and carpets are lightly damp/almost dry by time I am done and within a few hours in most cases.

Tplus

Dec 9, 2021
www.transformationsplus.net
Real Name
Carter Click
I use a T-Rex so I never have to dry stroke - improved my cleaning times by almost 30% =)

Those who think I am kidding come try it out anytime you'd like - Apex 570, 600 PSI, I do a 1/3rd overlap pass and carpets are lightly damp/almost dry by time I am done and within a few hours in most cases.
I have a used T- Rex for sale if anyone is interested.

Prowler

Aug 3, 2014
Corpus Christi
www.DoctorSteemer.com
Real Name
Mr. Harrison
Business Location
United States
I be pulling the trigger on a pull stroke and sucking it up as soon as you spray, Then a dry up stroke to get in position for the next pull stroke. Making a V pattern. At about 400 PSI, dries in a couple of hours or so. Sometimes 3 hours. Carpets get clean, never have complaints.