How many psi should be used? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How many psi should be used?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I'm going to make a few suggestions. Let your motors get 16+ hours on them to break in, it makes a difference in performance. Don't use any cuff's, hose to either 2" barb or internal 2" pipe to join sections together like keep it clean shown above. Don't worry about heat over 150° at the wand, once you get to that point you WILL not see SIGNIFICANT returns especially if you are using good chems. Keep asking questions and use the search function here, lots of good info here even if it's old.
Good to know I may very well see more performance after breaking in vac motors. After all, I did have my carpet dry when I was done with many dry passes.

Interesting to not use cuffs like the mytee cufflynx especially over a regular 2" barb which I think is the regular standard old hose connector. But Im open to it.

Not worried about heat in degrees. Just raised the concern that the diesel heater takes some water to heat up so short of walking outside to run the wand I may have cool water until it gets hot is all I was saying.

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Cuffs, cool cuffs or any variation of them all leak unless 100% glued. Every leak will be a ½-1" hg penalty at the floor... TM or portable why penalize extraction for absolutely useless convenience??? Your motors will improve with use, lift will certainly get better. Once you are confident in your extraction, you can improve your flow and see better return from your heater....

I always try to impress on portable users to not waste power at the wand needlessly, your equipment used right has real effin guts! You will do just fine when you hit your stride.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I'm going to make a few suggestions. Let your motors get 16+ hours on them to break in, it makes a difference in performance. Don't use any cuff's, hose to either 2" barb or internal 2" pipe to join sections together like keep it clean shown above. Don't worry about heat over 150° at the wand, once you get to that point you WILL not see SIGNIFICANT returns especially if you are using good chems. Keep asking questions and use the search function here, lots of good info here even if it's old.
listen to jim , this is excellent advice

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Cuffs, cool cuffs or any variation of them all leak unless 100% glued. Every leak will be a ½-1" hg penalty at the floor... TM or portable why penalize extraction for absolutely useless convenience??? Your motors will improve with use, lift will certainly get better. Once you are confident in your extraction, you can improve your flow and see better return from your heater....

I always try to impress on portable users to not waste power at the wand needlessly, your equipment used right has real effin guts! You will do just fine when you hit your stride.
Ok fair enough except for me out of the extractor I think the default is cufflynx but ill check if there is another option there.

Also, im gathering that the lint hog filter just isn't needed. Kind of weird I botched that and thought that was necessary.

If I need to connect hoses ill try my standard 'hose barb' or at least I think that is what it is. Attached a picture I found online of basically what I am referring to.

Attachments

Last edited:

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Goodyear (whatever Neptune is) is excellent or isn't excellent solution line?

Fair enough new guy not switching just yet but why the stainless line you and Anderson are recommending. I don't know if I see the 'why' behind it at this point??
steel braided hose lose 10-20 degrees per 50' length....

this has all been tested and verified....
depends on how much you trigger and and how much water flows through your hose...gpm.......

I call this TURBO HEAT HOSE......it holds most heat, but further testing is needed.

I am carrying this hose and have contacted my web guy to post it on my website.....should be up in a few days.....
americantruckmounts.com

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Without question I would never run any of my equipment that relies on a pumpout without kick-ass filtration. I don't stop extracting on the job for anything and I sure as fück ain't babysitting equipment just to just do my job. That crap needs to be sorted out ahead of time.

Here's what I have done for years, so take it what's it's worth. Every day make a list of what sucks, killed time or all around is super gay... and fix it. It's not an easy task and takes time and perseverance. With the right attitude you will get super dialed in not waste time or steps, meaning you will carry in the right stuff first, set it in the right spot to not move it again, not make 2 trips that could have been one, carry out the right stuff when getting new stuff, etc... Make a daily list of equipment foibles and work towards improving it, small changes add up. 2% here and 5% there add up if you are diligent. Charging big bucks and being efficient adds up IMO.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Without question I would never run any of my equipment that relies on a pumpout without kick-ass filtration. I don't stop extracting on the job for anything and I sure as fück ain't babysitting equipment just to just do my job. That crap needs to be sorted out ahead of time.

Here's what I have done for years, so take it what's it's worth. Every day make a list of what sucks, killed time or all around is super gay... and fix it. It's not an easy task and takes time and perseverance. With the right attitude you will get super dialed in not waste time or steps, meaning you will carry in the right stuff first, set it in the right spot to not move it again, not make 2 trips that could have been one, carry out the right stuff when getting new stuff, etc... Make a daily list of equipment foibles and work towards improving it, small changes add up. 2% here and 5% there add up if you are diligent. Charging big bucks and being efficient adds up IMO.
Good stuff, noted. Constant quest toward optimization. I like that.

And, if I am reading you correctly you are saying absolutely run the filter (lint hog in my case) to save your equipment and efficiency.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Good stuff, noted. Constant quest toward optimization. I like that.

And, if I am reading you correctly you are saying absolutely run the filter (lint hog in my case) to save your equipment and efficiency.
If you are going to rely on a APO YES! Listen to your wand and change filters as often as necessary. You will be able to tell when your wand is not howling and that means that your cleaning is subpar.... Don't be that guy and stop and clean your filter even if you have 10' left (usually the 10 dirtiest feet). Piss excellence!

Reactions: Select and J20770

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
If you are going to rely on a APO YES! Listen to your wand and change filters as often as necessary. You will be able to tell when your wand is not howling and that means that your cleaning is subpar.... Don't be that guy and stop and clean your filter even if you have 10' left (usually the 10 dirtiest feet). Piss excellence!
Makes sense, I can follow that.

Regarding APO. I cleaned probably less than 100 sq ft and there was barely any recovery water in the tank and even though the APO was on nothing came out. Should I be concerned?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Makes sense, I can follow that.

Regarding APO. I cleaned probably less than 100 sq ft and there was barely any recovery water in the tank and even though the APO was on nothing came out. Should I be concerned?
Something isn't right for me about this.... Double check everything stem to stern and try again for us.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States

Excellent, saving trips to the van or second guessing chems, will save a lot of time... I don't stop extracting on the job for nothing. When the wand is moving you are making money,, money stops when the wand stops......
Excellent Jim

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Something isn't right for me about this.... Double check everything stem to stern and try again for us.
Hmm. I sure will check everything. Might be a few days half my system is in my van getting wrapped the next couple days.

I sure hope I get to the bottom of this.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I don't mean to derail this thread but I wanted to say how nice it is seeing everyone come together with advice and help after the happenings of last week.

Carry on....
And I appreciate all of the advice and knowledge that is being shared. Thank you, Forum.

Reactions: Ymetimme

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
For me it varies upon the type of fiber
But in general

Carpet
200-300 for rotary
200 Bonzer or wand on WOOL

200-300 for wand on polypropylene
300 for bonzer on polypropylene
450 for nylon or polyester
450-650 on Bonzer nylon or polyester

150-200 psi for upholstery for jetless tools
I dont use jetted tools for upholstery

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Check out some pics (no before picture I know wtf but the carpets weren't very soiled to begin with) from second time cleaning today and I will share my experience from today. Caution: long post.

I ran it with 100' ft of vac hose because I wanted to see the system work at 100' including the lint hog filter in use. Having only two 50' vac hoses made the choice simple. I also used a piglet filter in the lint hog too. I checked my vac lines for leakage once I git started and it did seem like their might of been hissing from around the lint hog but the connections were as tight as they could be so I chalked it up to that just being how it is.

Once I verify I can cut my 50 footer myself with a hacksaw or sawzall without sacrificing connections or power or something I think I will do that so I can shorten default hose runs with filter.

It was cold (44) and rainy today so maybe that made it harder to dry but like the first time I did MANY dry strokes today to get it dry. Was dry 90% in 1 hour before we left.

I shut generator and everything off after pre spraying with my inline sprayer because why let everything run for 10 minutes while it dwells and I agitate with the crb? Wondering if another sprayer might be better for most jobs for this reason. Also, to get hot water I have to fire the wand then switch to the inline sprayer to make warm/hot pre spray. Doesn't feel ideal but might be a necessary evil. Unless cold pre spray is just as good?

Also, can you keep and reuse leftover pre spray? Both times poured out a shit ton because the 100 square feet I cleaned didn't require much at all.

On the other hand I think my APO is working because when I was rolling up the APO hose water poured out of both ends. Still a little surprised that the air hog doesn't fully pump out its contents and empty itself. Maybe my expectations were too high and I guess I will have to empty it might self and rinse it occasionally to keep it clean.

If it wasn't for my wife stating how great the carpets looked and commenting that she would pay for that level of cleaning I might say Im a little underwhelmed. Dont get me wrong Im satisfied with results but its annoying when I see little flecks and bits of things in the carpet that is unmoved after my HWE. I think I expected to blast out and suck up everything with my Hot water and vacs. Also, I can't say for sure if I had a rat nasty lol my wand would cut through it like you see on youtube.

Something else I noticed was because I do many dry strokes after wet strokes I think that gives a chance for my water to cool off. I think it might be better for me to do wet strokes and a dry stroke or two to keep my water hot throughout the cleaning (for hopefully a better cleaning) and then come back for more dry strokes later. I think this is a BIG KEY to better HWE.

Over 2 hours from beginning to end to clean this tiny area. Which is a great improvement over day one but there is much room for efficiency.

I definitely need to order the hose reels and get the AutoFill and APO, and Solution line hooked up live and I think that would be a huge improvement.

Believe it or not kind of like I mentioned above making prespray is kind of like a shit show as well as cleaning out the sprayer afterwards is cumbersome. I put almost 2 scoops of black label in today and only filled my inline sprayer upon to the first line - however much that was, a quart? Its all in the van now..

**Also, today was first ever try with stain removal. My daughter spilled like a half bottle or full bottle of nail polish like 6-8 months ago so my expectations weren't very high. Upon damoing with a brush and towel there was almost no transfer. I applied a bunch of gel I have let it dwell, pre sprayed over it and almost no result after extracting. If I knew how to do carpet repair I think that is what is needed on that one.

If you made it this far you either are entertained by newbie follies or are bored and pissed you wasted the time.

Thank you for reading and I am always open to others thoughts and feedback.

Attachments

Reactions: Fedri and DakotaG