How many psi should be used? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How many psi should be used?

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
Hi guys,how many psi you guys used in a wand on commercial or residential? when and which kind of capet need use the 1200+ high pressure .I always use 500 psi and 230℉ on carpet ,upholstery 300 psi, tile 500 psi 。Someone can give me a standard please

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
There’s no one answer but for my needs and jetting I use 600psi on most carpets, 100psi for most upholstery, and tile 800psi but wish I had 1200.
If I use my spotter for Upholstery it’s only 55 psi

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
There’s no one answer but for my needs and jetting I use 600psi on most carpets, 100psi for most upholstery, and tile 800psi but wish I had 1200.
1200 is my prochem 408 limit I think I never use it.100 psi for upholstery can move stain for dirty sofa? I see the limit 3000Psi for some prochem HD truckmount , what is so high pressure for ?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Hi guys,how many psi you guys used in a wand on commercial or residential? when and which kind of capet need use the 1200+ high pressure .I always use 500 psi and 230℉ on carpet ,upholstery 300 psi, tile 500 psi 。Someone can give me a standard please
I think more in ranges of pressure. I'm generally at 300 to 600 for carpet. I almost always use 300 psi for upholstery, but my tool regulates whatever I want at the tool so I can dial it down pretty low if I feel the need. For tile I'd say you're definitely on the lower end of the pressures. I'm usually at 600 and up to 1,000 occasionally for tile which is max for my machine.

So, IMHO some of this is dictated by your machine as well as the tools you are using. I also don't think it's a good idea to run at 230 degrees all the time when doing upholstery and some area rugs because it can cause some unexpected and unwanted problems on some fabrics.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
I think more in ranges of pressure. I'm generally at 300 to 600 for carpet. I almost always use 300 psi for upholstery, but my tool regulates whatever I want at the tool so I can dial it down pretty low if I feel the need. For tile I'd say you're definitely on the lower end of the pressures. I'm usually at 600 and up to 1,000 occasionally for tile which is max for my machine.

So, IMHO some of this is dictated by your machine as well as the tools you are using. I also don't think it's a good idea to run at 230 degrees all the time when doing upholstery and some area rugs because it can cause some unexpected and unwanted problems on some fabrics.
For some clean carpets and customers who have high requirements for dry I usually use 300Psi -500psi

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
The appropriate pressure for carpet will depend upon the style, water temperature, volume of water, soiling levels and more. The wand plumbing and jetting will be influence. Usually in the 250 to 500 range.

Tile can be cleaned at 500 to 600 with Gekko type tools or 1000 to 2000 if using spinner type tools.

Upholstery maybe 100 to 200 PSI.

Just ranges. There are many variables.

When you get to 2000 and above, uses would be pressure washing drive ways, side walks, parking areas and such.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I only used around 800 on tile. Its not concrete and you're useing chemicals to disolve oils. A brush to dislodge filth. Most of the work is done in those steps. So your wand is just rinsing it off. 800 to 900 is fine.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I personally never clean carpets commercial or residential over 500 psi. I’d think there’d be cases above that where your damaging the carpet.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Test your setup and remove any doubt about it's ability. Key your wand in a bin for 60 seconds and measure the output so you really know what you are laying down GPM wise. Then clean a scrap of carpet at typical vac hose lengths at different pressures and wand speeds, flip over the carpet and see if you are getting the backing wet, damp or is it completely dry? If you are wetting the backing you are inviting drying issues like brown out. Evaluate and make educated adjustments to how "you" clean with "your" equipment.

One way we avoid brown out issues on carpet areas you know that you are going to nuke is to clean them first and right before you leave dry stroke them again. Capillary action typically will be broken with the second dry stroke even if you have fans going in the meantime. Not perfect, but can save a call back.

Jeff Marek

Aug 24, 2012
Real Name
Jeff Marek
Business Location
United States
250-500psi for carpet 200 degrees, 900psi for Gekko spinner on T&G, 500 for squeegee tools 200 degrees.
200psi for upholstery and heat no hotter than 150 degrees...

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
I only used around 800 on tile. Its not concrete and you're useing chemicals to disolve oils. A brush to dislodge filth. Most of the work is done in those steps. So your wand is just rinsing it off. 800 to 900 is fine.
How many temperature you using on tiles and grout remove oil-filth?

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I use 1200 - 1500 psi at 150 degrees for Tile & grout with turbo spinner.
Yes chemistry breaks down the greasy soils but heat really helps rinse.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
The appropriate pressure for carpet will depend upon the style, water temperature, volume of water, soiling levels and more. The wand plumbing and jetting will be influence. Usually in the 250 to 500 range.

Tile can be cleaned at 500 to 600 with Gekko type tools or 1000 to 2000 if using spinner type tools.

Upholstery maybe 100 to 200 PSI.

Just ranges. There are many variables.

When you get to 2000 and above, uses would be pressure washing drive ways, side walks, parking areas and such.
Interesting. I got up and running yesterday and used my system for the very first time in my home.

I had the mytee water hog at 400psi starting out and my initial impression was that it was absolutely soaking the carpets. So, I turned the water hog down around 200psi and continued from there.

Im not sure if the air hog needs to be broken in but I feel like I had to do many many dry strokes to get it dry. Although, I will say when I was done the carpet was dry.

Point is, I was apprehensive spraying the wand even at 200psi because I felt like I would need to do a million dry strokes to dry my carpet. It just felt like it was soaking the carpet. I remember Magic Wand verifying my 2 jet wand had the proper jets on when I purchased it. Not sure what is happening or if I just need to get comfortable knowing you have to do many dry strokes.

It was much different than you tube videos where they do a wet stroke and 1-3 dry strokes.

Not sure what I am missing. Hoping things get better.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Interesting. I got up and running yesterday and used my system for the very first time in my home.

I had the mytee water hog at 400psi starting out and my initial impression was that it was absolutely soaking the carpets. So, I turned the water hog down around 200psi and continued from there.

Im not sure if the air hog needs to be broken in but I feel like I had to do many many dry strokes to get it dry. Although, I will say when I was done the carpet was dry.

Point is, I was apprehensive spraying the wand even at 200psi because I felt like I would need to do a million dry strokes to dry my carpet. It just felt like it was soaking the carpet. I remember Magic Wand verifying my 2 jet wand had the proper jets on when I purchased it. Not sure what is happening or if I just need to get comfortable knowing you have to do many dry strokes.

It was much different than you tube videos where they do a wet stroke and 1-3 dry strokes.

Not sure what I am missing. Hoping things get better.
What numbers are on the jets? Make sure you vacuum is sealed.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
What numbers are on the jets? Make sure you vacuum is sealed.
Looks like, 9503. Attached a pic.

And I know this sounds silly but, how do I make sure my vac is sealed?

Thank you, man.

Attachments

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Looks like, 9503. Attached a pic.

And I know this sounds silly but, how do I make sure my vac is sealed?

Thank you, man.
So 2 jets 6 flow. Typically what i used. Sometimes ide switch to 2 jets @02 on some carpets. Like commercial or thinner low pile carpet.

Check your system. I have left gate open slightly before, apo make sure check valve shut if equipped, vac motor gaskets can migrate causing leak, cuffs? Just give everything a once over to narrow it down.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
So 2 jets 6 flow. Typically what i used. Sometimes ide switch to 2 jets @02 on some carpets. Like commercial or thinner low pile carpet.

Check your system. I have left gate open slightly before, apo make sure check valve shut if equipped, vac motor gaskets can migrate causing leak, cuffs? Just give everything a once over to narrow it down.
Ok so sounds like you verified my jets are correct for my setup and they shouldn't be causing overwetting.

As for the vac it is the first time I ever used it. Im using the mytee cufflinks and what seems like a basic 2" to 1.5" adapter to my wand.

I did seem to think the way the hose connects to the air hog with the cuff links left a little to be desired because it seemed like it could easily twist off the vacuum.

I might just be picky and this might not be a real concern.

Granted I probably only cleaned 100 square feet or less yesterday but there was about a half inch of dirty water in the air hog tank and apparently wasn't even enough for the running auto pump out to pump anything out. I found that a little surprising being done and no way to get the dirty water out with the pump.

I have a feeling I am missing something here.

I appreciate you helping out and responding. Thank you.