How many of you use being an O/O as your main USP? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How many of you use being an O/O as your main USP?

Neil

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
Real Name
Neil Jeremy
Business Location
United States
I tend to click on a lot of members' website links in their sigs and I've noticed that a lot of the one man shows don't really push the "owner performs the work" angle very hard. Most people mention it on their website but it's mixed in with other value points. I tend to do the same thing. In fact, I almost always use the term "we" when on the phone with customers. I think there is a certain segment of people that feel more comfortable hiring a big company and I don't want to lose any of them if they find out I'm not a big player (a lot of my phone leads say things like "when you send your crew out," ect.)

The only website I've seen for a TMF member where the O/O is pushed hard is Six Figa (or is it figure?) I also saw it on 1k's website, although not pushed quite as hard.

Do you guys feel pushing the O/O USP will affect me acquiring these customers? Is the whole thing a wash? What reaction do you guys get when customers are under the impression that you're a big operation and then realize it's just you?

Reactions: sbsscn
Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Honestly Bro, after about a year of gathering feedback:

You see, when I book a client , my booking ticket has a line labeled "Reason". So when I determine this was a new lead generated thru marketing (and I can tell it'll be a $400min job *if all does well, lol*) , I ask

"Maam, sir with all the options out there to choose from, what was the determining factor that made you decide to give me an opportunity"

Usual responses 1. I was local 2. Owner operated 3. Reviews & Experience

So I tweeked My marketing to emphasis those benefits.

I haven't had a chance to ramp up My USP this year but I sure as heck plan to.

It's also the reason why as I scale/grow My operation I'll be using the licensee/franchise model and never the employee thing

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
www.GreenTechCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
Do you guys feel pushing the O/O USP will affect me acquiring these customers?
I believe it would be effective for you.

Not my main, but important. It is one of several points in our marketing. People are very receptive to it.

Local is also very important with clients as it is with myself. People are beginning to see money really is a loop.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I tend to click on a lot of members' website links in their sigs and I've noticed that a lot of the one man shows don't really push the "owner performs the work" angle very hard...
That's a good point, Neil. I think it gets back to "beginning with the end in mind" as in where does the owner plan to take their business?

Do they plan to achieve "Critical Mass"(C/M) and turn their company into a "cash flow machine" where they can be (if they want) an "absentee owner" with great Personal Freedom? OR do they want to "stay small" and enjoy the hassle-free and more-or-less care free life of an owner-operator?(O/O)

Both the C/M and the O/O business models can work well. But if you plan to grow into C/M then I would downplay the "owner is on all jobs" angle. When you train your customers to be spoiled with your constant presence it can be tough to "wean them away". (Don't ask me how I learned about this one!) :)

In fact, I just posted a short video on how SFS concepts can help you achieve "personal Freedom" in this business. CLICK HERE to watch it for free.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Neil, one caution. Be sure to choose between the two business approaches I profile above. Too many cleaners sort of wind up somewhere "in between" the Critical Mass model and staying small as an owner-operator. This "too big but too small" business model is a necessary "transitional step" if you want to grow your company. But far too many spend their entire life there and this can be tragic. I've written a research paper on this problem and how to avoid the "Road In-between". Download it for free by CLICKING HERE.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
I agree with Steve it depends on which model you see yourself in long term.

If your goal is to remain o/o than absolutely I think pitching that you are there and do each job is important. This gives confidence and trust to the homeowner ... the would rather have somebody that has the responsibility to have their own business in their home rather than some kid a big company hired last week..

Reactions: Neil

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I mention it at times but its not what I will always be.

It's a great point but there are better USPs

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I mention it at times but its not what I will always be.

It's a great point but there are better USPs

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
It's on of the tops with My Target market.

And contrary to industry norm CM can be achieved thru the OO model utilizing the licensee/franchise platforms.

Citrus Solution, Oxy ..and a few others have done it for years.

Technology has come a looooooooooong way in insuring it as a viable option

I sure as heck intend to do My daamdest in making it so

Neil

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
Real Name
Neil Jeremy
Business Location
United States
Honestly Bro, after about a year of gathering feedback:

You see, when I book a client , my booking ticket has a line labeled "Reason". So when I determine this was a new lead generated thru marketing (and I can tell it'll be a $400min job *if all does well, lol*) , I ask

"Maam, sir with all the options out there to choose from, what was the determining factor that made you decide to give me an opportunity"

Usual responses 1. I was local 2. Owner operated 3. Reviews & Experience

So I tweeked My marketing to emphasis those benefits.

I haven't had a chance to ramp up My USP this year but I sure as heck plan to.

It's also the reason why as I scale/grow My operation I'll be using the licensee/franchise model and never the employee thing
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to start asking people regularly as well. I think if I go O/O USP then I'm going to plaster it all over my marketing (like you do.)

Just a thought on the franchise/licensee model- don't discount the role your personality plays in your success, that's something that may be hard to teach (I mean that as a compliment.)

Neil

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
Real Name
Neil Jeremy
Business Location
United States
I agree with Steve it depends on which model you see yourself in long term.

If your goal is to remain o/o than absolutely I think pitching that you are there and do each job is important. This gives confidence and trust to the homeowner ... the would rather have somebody that has the responsibility to have their own business in their home rather than some kid a big company hired last week..
Thanks for the response, 1k. When you were still a grunt (like me) were you hearing that your customers chose you because of your O/O USP? If you were coaching a new one man operation, what would you advise as the best USP to push?

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to start asking people regularly as well. I think if I go O/O USP then I'm going to plaster it all over my marketing (like you do.)

Just a thought on the franchise/licensee model- don't discount the role your personality plays in your success, that's something that may be hard to teach (I mean that as a compliment.)
lol, it's ironic you say that. With this new trainee I have part of his "training" will be reading books to imbed a Success Orientation mindset.

After day four he had to spend a whopping $7 to order Napolean Hills Think & Grow Rich (the first of many reads he'll have).

I told him without the proper philosophy/belief system My model is sure to fail.

And you know what? He get's it!!

He loves the book. I'm really rooting for the kid. He seems to really feel like he's in a good place under My tutelage.

And I'm grateful that he feels that way about Me/it.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Neil

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
Real Name
Neil Jeremy
Business Location
United States
lol, it's ironic you say that. With this new trainee I have part of his "training" will be reading books to imbed a Success Orientation mindset.

After day four he had to spend a whopping $7 to order Napolean Hills Think & Grow Rich (the first of many reads he'll have).

I told him without the proper philosophy/belief system My model is sure to fail.

And you know what? He get's it!!

He loves the book. I'm really rooting for the kid. He seems to really feel like he's in a good place under My tutelage.

And I'm grateful that he feels that way about Me/it.
That's awesome. I need to read that book, I've heard lots of good things. I've been influenced quite a bit by Dale Carnegie's stuff.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
That's awesome. I need to read that book, I've heard lots of good things. I've been influenced quite a bit by Dale Carnegie's stuff.
Dale is the bomb. Matter of fact I just thought today of dusting off his Leadership cd I have somewhere in My garage.lol

I forgot to mention that I know My "personality" to be learned behavior & thats why along with Ops, policy & procedure manuals that its Imperative I make mandatory the same readings , like Hill, that Taught Me "how to think"

Jose Rodriguez

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Jose Rodriguez
I always tell my customers, that I will be cleaning the first time. I only have one helper, and I take him with me his name is Alex, and I tell my customers that due to load of work Alex might go by next time, I want to have a company is my dream at least with 10 employees.

cheandmakalika

Apr 21, 2012
hawaii
Real Name
che herrera
Business Location
United States
Can some one tell me what USP stands for with regards to being an owner/operator

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Can some one tell me what USP stands for with regards to being an owner/operator
Unique Selling Proposition.

its a fancy way of saying what message your; motto, phrase, sentence or tag line says that'll make your ideal client go ..."yea, that's the guy I want to hire"

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Or here's another way to think about it. "What separates me from the herd enough that a prospect is going to say, 'I want this company'!" (And if you say, "Because I am the cheapest" go to the back of the class!)

Achieving this "differentiation" is essential IF you want to be more than a struggling rug sucker your entire life! You will "set yourself apart" with a carefully crafted AND consistent USP that defines who you are.

NOTE: Of course, it doesn't really matter who YOU think you are- what does your marketplace think? Check out my PS!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Big Billy Yeadon talks HERE about "emotional USP's" for carpet cleaners and learning from the "big boys". Once you have ingested Bill's marketing wisdom then CLICK HERE for his USP Marketing Checklist.

Bill Yeadon

Preferred Vendor
Aug 29, 2008
Indianapolis IN
www.jondon.com
Real Name
Bill Yeadon
Everyone talks about USP or today ESP emotional sales proposition ( including me) but very few companies in our industry really have a decent one. The term was coined in 1960. 53 years later I think it I still a great idea but almost impossible to implement.

If you go to a marketing class you are sure to hear Dominos hot pizza to your door in 30 minutes or Avis we try harder. But if you notice they are long gone. The world has changed and I am not sure a USP is the gold standard anymore.

If you have a good one please share.

Of course I just noticed my compatriot was posting at the same time as me. Even we can't agree.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I am not sure a USP is the gold standard anymore... Of course I just noticed my compatriot was posting at the same time as me. Even we can't agree.
Ouch! Pissy are we this morning, Mr. Yeadon?

I think a USP is still an essential part of your marketing. But as Bill points out it isn't enough. The companies he refers to above got complacent with their marketing.

Mr. Peace Maker

PS Let's see if Big Billy still agrees that his "Hub Marketing" systems are still valid!