How many carpet cleaners also do autos? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How many carpet cleaners also do autos?

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Yeah, it was really the heavy saturation into the seat cushions that really made the job harder. Getting the stains out wasn't that big a problem really, but keeping them from coming back was a little trickier. The places where it soaked through the seams were the worst.
amen to that,theres nothing easy about doing autos unless its new

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Nope way to hot here! And I'm way to fat to enjoy it :eek::D

Reactions: Kyle8

Thunder

Mar 5, 2017
Real Name
Thorsten Herwig
I clean vehicle interior too most I did we're not to bad did some customers car after cleaning their house while I was still there , those are the best as I am already there and set up. One time a neighbor asked me to remove a stain from his brand new Truck floor and got his place a few days later on top.
However sometimes vehicles don't pay a lot but you get lots of times a nice job and new clients out of it.
People talk a lot too :)

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I cant make more cleaning houses, yall can have the auto work

Autos are pretty time consuming. I'm trying to do some things differently to see if I can both improve the work and do it faster w/o killing myself in the process. I did two last week, but I did something different that I'd never done before. I used an encapsulant shampoo applied with a horsehair brush. I still followed with extraction, but the job seemed to go quicker and easier. The horse hair brush did the application fine, but I think I might could find something that would be even quicker. The brush as a bit slow. Still everything came out great. I mainly use Releasit Encap-Hydrox this time. Seemed to work well. One mixed up gallon did both cars easy.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
The only way auto detailing is worth it is if your a high end service that removes seats completely to get all crevices, very time consuming but you charge like 300+ per vehicle

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
We did autos years ago but now refer them to a local detail shop.

We considered hiring an employee to do them here at our location with a high powered portable but the insurance is super expensive. Being mobile our insurance stays the same as it is now but not worth the hassle. Rather stand up straight and clean carpets. Autos are back breaking work and hard on the knees.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I've got multiple auto guys here, and quite a few of them do it on the side to supplement their carpet cleaning. And just like carpet cleaning, you've got to resist the pressure of "oh, so-n-so is cheaper" and charge what your time is worth.

Auto detailing takes some time because of the (oddly enough) detail work involved, lol, but if you can overcome foul odors, especially cigarette smoke, you can charge a substantial amount for odor control and make quite a profit.

Some guys here target rental companies, specifically to get cigarette odor out, and charge upwards of $400 for tobacco removal. The car is essentially useless to the rental company if it smells nasty, so it's a captive market.

Reactions: wandwizard

maidsway

Sep 1, 2017
Real Name
Maidsway Cleaning Services
If they do offer that services then they will do it.

NofxJohnson

Oct 14, 2015
Real Name
Mike Sheridan
Sorry, just saw the thread. Wish I didn't. Hard to clean, never looks good, and hard to pre price.

Aug 27, 2017
Real Name
Wayne C Thompson
Do not do autos or boats, only do the main floor in RV,s. Make way more per hour if I just stay away from all of these. Can make double in a day not doing these with a lot less back pain.

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States
I hate clean cars.
I have the phone number of a car wash detail, those guys charge $100 buck full cleaning inside and out.
No way I clean an interior seats and floor for less than $200 so go with those guys.

Dannobrown

Sep 13, 2018
Real Name
Daniel Brown
I've always taken vehicle cleaning jobs most of my career although I do not do full on auto detailing and never will. Too much time involved and I think you really need a shop to make it more practical. I just clean the carpet, mats, and upholstery in vehicles and may wipe down some areas and I make it clear that's all I will do to the customer.

Last week, I got the car cleaning job from hell. Definitely one of the worst, if not the worst, I've ever seen and I've seen some doozies. Stains of different types literally everywhere including all over the headliner. This was a 2016 vehicle too! Stains were soaked in to the seats everywhere. Looked like kids just deliberately splashed drinks all over the place. I spent about 3 hours just cleaning the seats, headliner, carpet, and mats. She wanted it to look like it never happened. It's jobs like that one that make me wonder if I ever even want to tackle another car job. These are otherwise good customers, but if it had been anyone else I might have walked. I charged 200. for the job and it was worth a lot more. That is the most I've ever charged for any vehicle cleaning I think including vans and SUV's. It is definitely by far the longest I've ever taken to clean a standard auto or any other vehicle for that matter. I rarely clean autos and I don't advertise for it. Don't really want that kind of work.

I would like to know what is the best method for cleaning a headliner w/o risk of damaging it. The staining on this one was quite severe. I used a microfiber towel and applied stain remover to it, then wiped the headliner down. I also applied some of a non-solvent type stain remover directly to the headliner stains. Didn't think I'd get them out otherwise. The towel worked pretty well on it though.

Yeah what you did is a good process, headliners are tough because something you need to be pretty gentle with. I’ve found that interior all purpose cleaners for cars works well too, like a meguires or griots interior APC. I just mist on and agitate lightly and mop up with microfiber towel. I’ve done this with my own personal vehicle as well, with my sons chocolate milk that exploded. The after results turned out well. The problem with cars is we usually get called when it’s a disaster, I’ve been thinking about trying to set up more routine cleanings for people at a decent price so that they want to do it once a month to every 3 months

Reactions: wandwizard

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
In the whole thread I dont see my least favorite part of autos. They KILL my back. The whole time cleaning you are in uncomfortable positions.

Reactions: Travis Teague