How long did it take you to build your business? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How long did it take you to build your business?

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
April 18th was then end of my first fiscal month. I did $2100. Will probably do $3800 the second fiscal month. Half my business came from 2 property managers, and the other half came from Google Ads.

How long did it take you to build up to the $10,000 a month level or more?

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
April 18th was then end of my first fiscal month. I did $2100. Will probably do $3800 the second fiscal month. Half my business came from 2 property managers, and the other half came from Google Ads.

How long did it take you to build up to the $10,000 a month level or more?

Stop looking at sales!
The only thing that matters is profit. Over the years I don’t know how many businesses I’ve told that to and they didn’t listen. Lasted a few years and were gone. I know guys that consistently did $100,000. A year and had better life styles than guys doing ten times that.
PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT! stop comparing yourself to anyone else. And don’t let suppliers blow smoke up your ass about how good your doing. Their only interest is your money. Don’t buy into anyone else’s bull shit. Keep your nose to the grind stone and don’t look up.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Not a bad question (IMO)

I would love to give you $$ figures but I have learned to keep certain things private especially $$ figures.
I can say this. It has all been possible because of the Lord's grace and mercy on me. All credit, honor and praise, glory to him be.

It has taken me 13years with the Lord's help and I see that It will take me till I quit.
Its a never ending story. I see it like a Doctor/ lawyer who is practicing(learning/growing) with every year. But I also think that although its ok to ask this question just dont get consumed by it. It does take time. Its good to have a goal but I dont think its good to be ambitious. Set a goal But set Standards. Dont compromise standards over obsession or ambition. keep quality and youll get quantity. Dont focus on getting quantity over delivering quality. Give quality the rest will follow.

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Literally my first month. I know, I was shocked. It was luck though, I happened to get onto Google local services and be the only one Google verified for about 6 months.

I'm 1.5 years in now and knocking on the door of $30,000 per month with two trucks. As others have said, its profit that matters. I invested heavily into all new equipment and trucks. I also pay 20% or more in marketing. Have my first employee.

So far my profits has essentially been like having a normal job. If the sales continue like this though ill have q decent profitable business.

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Hardest part so far has been explaining to my wife that the "net profit" number isn't coming home in the form of a check hahaha lol! Seriously though where does the money actually go? Well I know in my case it's depreciated assets for some business loans but still seeing those kinds of numbers is a good feeling...I'm still young so alot of the profits are going back into the business, especially since the government is set on sending us money every couple months for "stimulus "so the paychecks I'm writing are plenty for us to make it.

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
Portland, Oregon is an extremely competitive market. At least 15 Google Guaranteed companies. A conversion for an online ad costs $30 or more. 500 or more independent carpet cleaners and all the big names (multiple COIT, Stanley, Servpro, zerorez, Chem dry, etc.). Minimum prices range greatly from no minimum to over $200. Rug shops that charge $4 per square foot that have been im business for over 100 years.

Anyone have experience in a market like this on the west coast?

Medium to large size cities like Portland, Seattle, San Fan, Tacoma?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Portland, Oregon is an extremely competitive market. At least 15 Google Guaranteed companies. A conversion for an online ad costs $30 or more. 500 or more independent carpet cleaners and all the big names (multiple COIT, Stanley, Servpro, zerorez, Chem dry, etc.). Minimum prices range greatly from no minimum to over $200. Rug shops that charge $4 per square foot that have been im business for over 100 years.

Anyone have experience in a market like this on the west coast?

Medium to large size cities like Portland, Seattle, San Fan, Tacoma?

You need to show yourself as ultra-professional. Not that you asked for it but here it is - your website has spelling errors. Clients will notice this. There are plenty of pictures of you which are mostly good, but not wearing shoe covers, again clients will notice.

If you're in a hyper-competitive market you need to be hyper-professional in your image.

Sell the SIZZLE and serve the steak. Why does Stanley Steemer do so well despite mediocre cleaning? Because they sell an excellent Sizzle. Zerorez too. Oxi Fresh too.

These companies are MARKETING companies first. Many owner-operators fail to comprehend that fact and then drown in their shadow.

Also don't expect success overnight. But in a hyper-competitive market make yourself the best and ask for referrals. Ask for reviews. I have over 300+ reviews in just 1.5 years. Wanna know why a lot of clients call me now.....? Because of the reviews.

Invest $5,000 in a professional website. Yours looks like a Wix website. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but the SEO function in the background is whats important, and only a professional SEO website builder can do that for you and keep it optimized. I pay my website gal $2,000 a month. She is easily worth more than that for how much organic business it brings in.

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
You need to show yourself as ultra-professional. Not that you asked for it but here it is - your website has spelling errors. Clients will notice this. There are plenty of pictures of you which are mostly good, but not wearing shoe covers, again clients will notice.

If you're in a hyper-competitive market you need to be hyper-professional in your image.

Sell the SIZZLE and serve the steak. Why does Stanley Steemer do so well despite mediocre cleaning? Because they sell an excellent Sizzle. Zerorez too. Oxi Fresh too.

These companies are MARKETING companies first. Many owner-operators fail to comprehend that fact and then drown in their shadow.

Also don't expect success overnight. But in a hyper-competitive market make yourself the best and ask for referrals. Ask for reviews. I have over 300+ reviews in just 1.5 years. Wanna know why a lot of clients call me now.....? Because of the reviews.

Invest $5,000 in a professional website. Yours looks like a Wix website. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but the SEO function in the background is whats important, and only a professional SEO website builder can do that for you and keep it optimized. I pay my website gal $2,000 a month. She is easily worth more than that for how much organic business it brings in.
I've been thinking about changing my web. I see house call pro offers a template you can pay monthly for. Mines a basic free blogger style, I'm in a very uncompetitive market in rural area and always have work but I don't want that to be an excuse to become lax on my presence....

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive

Thanks. Where did you find the spelling errors? Hard to see when I am doing all the editing and updating. I will go over it with a fine-tooth comb. It is a WIX website, .

Is your website gal local to you?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Thanks. Where did you find the spelling errors? Hard to see when I am doing all the editing and updating. I will go over it with a fine-tooth comb. It is a WIX website, .

Is your website gal local to you?

She isn't local actually (well sort of, she travels)

Also I tried out your online booking feature and man it was so slow! I couldn't quite figure it out at first because I had to click the Book Online THEN Book Now. But it was taking so long to load I thought maybe it just wasn't working. You should definitely look into Housecall Pro.