How is this possible?

Mighty Green

Feb 28, 2016
Real Name
marc payne
A few weeks back we got a call from a customer who needed a room clean due to dog sharting everywhere in room.
Since she is a return customer and we had been there 2 days before cleaning for a smaller incident I told her only $45.00 to hit that spot thinking it was just one small dog turd as she made it sound.
She said she would leave $45 cash on table.Well we get there and there is diarhea dog shit everywhere through the room.I called her she didn't answer her phone so text her we couldn't do it for $45.00 was way more shit then she explained.She says text can't talk right now but do whatever it cost get it done.I text back and said we can't just do a job without approval so I'll send the estimate
And explain what we're doing..and please approve to move forward.After 15 min of just waiting around she approves it for $150.I tell her if she's not gonna be there need a credit card on file to charge after the job..She sends pic of credit card front and back..
Cool we do job take before and after pics and when done to her and send those and invoice to her.
Fast forward I get a chargeback from PayPal saying dispute on charges.
I call her and ask what's the problem and she explains her card was compromised and she cancelled the card and said she would pay me with new card once she got it.
4 weeks later she still doesn't answer her phone or call me back and pay pal unfortunately says after presenting all my evidence to them
And they submitted to her Chase bank it was declined.
Even though I took all the precautions. .have approval from texts, pics etc pay pal
Says it's not up to them federal law their hands are tied..her bank declined it.
Where do I start.!..how is this allowed to just go in my merchant acct showing approved and then zapped backout because she disputes it.
And its Not even the job she had a problem ..it's because she claims her card was compromised.
Can anyone provide me with maybe some info on this and how this is allowed.
Is Pay Pal pulling my leg or is this true with all merchant credit card companies.
Their saying yes. .it would happen with any credit card company.
Her card was a Chase business card too.
Should I take her to small claims.
Thanks and sorry about the long post

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The laws are written just as much to protect consumers from Shady businesses, as they are to protect businesses from Shady consumers. Alas, there's probably not much you can do to fight this one that would not cost you more than you would wind up winning.

She's also likely not going to be a repeat customer any more, she knows she's burned a bridge. I'd say chalk it up to learning not to trust a customer enough to have them send you pictures of their card - from now on insist on form of payment being present.

Mighty Green

Feb 28, 2016
Real Name
marc payne
Darn..I want to move on but just can't stand the fact of her getting by with this.
We did the job and did it well and she's playing the system and getting the job for free...at my expense
Your right thank God it wasn't for more money.
How does this get avoided next time we have a lot of people that aren't home that pay with us with a credit card.
I took all precautions in she her agreed to
The price and gave her card for payment.
Not sure how much safer I could be.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
In the grand scheme of things, this is not worth the energy to fret over it. In 34 years of carpet cleaning this has only happened to us maybe 5 times, and each time I tried like you did to get paid, but she had this planned from the beginning.

Tomorrow is another day.

Mighty Green

Feb 28, 2016
Real Name
marc payne
Your right about Pay Pal..I'm gonna go merchant with my bank instead of pay pal
My bank even said if it was through them have a better chance of recovering money.Somehow I think Pay Pal has not presented my info correctly to chase to make my case.
I have a credit card with a Chase so I'm going to call them and see if I can find out a little more information to make sure PayPal has done their job but other than that live and learn.
It's sad because if this is the case then anybody can refute charges you did for carpet cleaning and you have no say so with it...hard to believe.
Even though I have her credit card information I'm not going to try to charge it because I didn't get her approval number one and number two I think it's closed.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Your right about Pay Pal..I'm gonna go merchant with my bank instead of pay pal
My bank even said if it was through them have a better chance of recovering money.Somehow I think Pay Pal has not presented my info correctly to chase to make my case.
I have a credit card with a Chase so I'm going to call them and see if I can find out a little more information to make sure PayPal has done their job but other than that live and learn.
It's sad because if this is the case then anybody can refute charges you did for carpet cleaning and you have no say so with it...hard to believe.
Even though I have her credit card information I'm not going to try to charge it because I didn't get her approval number one and number two I think it's closed.
We use Square, even have our payroll through them and we have never had any issues.

Reactions: Bob Savage

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
If her card was cancelled then you're SOL.
You would need a new card number.
She either deliberately scammed you or it started as an honest mistake and then she went sideways on you.
Not much you can do.
I use PayPal and I email the invoice if the customer isn't present.
I haven't been burned yet, but I'm sure the day will come.
Cost of doing business.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Mighty Green

Feb 28, 2016
Real Name
marc payne
If her card was cancelled then you're SOL.
You would need a new card number.
She either deliberately scammed you or it started as an honest mistake and then she went sideways on you.
Not much you can do.
I use PayPal and I email the invoice if the customer isn't present.
I haven't been burned yet, but I'm sure the day will come.
Cost of doing business.
Yes her card was cancelled after the charge wentry through and was put in my bank..then taken out like 2 weeks later.
It was a debit card too.
So again anybody can just cancel a card if they don't want to pay for something and they can ride off in the sunset without paying a dime.
So let's say I go and stay at a motel for a week ..eat out at restaurants .put it on my card. .then cancel my card saying don't know about these charges.
The hotel and those restaurants are sol.
I find this not only hard to believe but a crime.
Luckily mine was only $150.
I do know my bank said if my merchant account was with them they would have made her prove she didn't get my service.
More then pay pal has promised.
Let's me know what I need to do moving forward.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Yes her card was cancelled after the charge wentry through and was put in my bank..then taken out like 2 weeks later.
It was a debit card too.
So again anybody can just cancel a card if they don't want to pay for something and they can ride off in the sunset without paying a dime.
So let's say I go and stay at a motel for a week ..eat out at restaurants .put it on my card. .then cancel my card saying don't know about these charges.
The hotel and those restaurants are sol.
I find this not only hard to believe but a crime.
Luckily mine was only $150.
I do know my bank said if my merchant account was with them they would have made her prove she didn't get my service.
More then pay pal has promised.
Let's me know what I need to do moving forward.
I would mail her an invoice explaining that her card was declined and the amount outstanding is past due.

Beyond that I think changing merchant processing would be a good idea.
I didn't know that PayPal would not try harder to get you the money.

Reactions: Scott W

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
bro sorry to hear this....

dont know about the rest of these guys.....
but this stuff happens to me about 1 time a year......

if its 100-200$ i just learn to figure it in with expenses and move on.......
not worth it for 150$ to destroy your focus on your business....

sad that this is the norm today as fraud happens to every business....different generation...its not 1955 anymore....

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Cases like this are just one of the reasons I liked to do price quotes (I don't like the word "Estimate" which implies it could change) in the customer's home rather than over the telephone.

People often fail to describe the job properly. If you give a price based on their description, you should do it at the agreed upon price.

I have had water damage calls that sounded like they had Lake Erie in the home and found it was a big puddle. They wanted you to rush out right away. Had other jobs where water was ankle deep in 4 rooms and they told me on the phone they had a "little water leak." I go and see for myself before I give a price on any job. The only exception was standard cleaning for repeat customers when I knew the size of the rooms and their level of cleanliness and such from my records.

Reactions: Mama Fen

Mighty Green

Feb 28, 2016
Real Name
marc payne
Yes..lesson learned on that
Plus I feel like it more and more important for customers to be there when I start so I can explain everything and have a written estimate for them to sign before we start like I usually do but if I turn down every customer that couldn't be at their place when we cleaned then I would be cutting a lot of my business.
That's why on this job like every other if they are not going to be there I text or email and amount for them to approve before I start the job.
But I think she didn't like the fact then it went from $45 to $150 but then again she
One turd like she said vs crap and pis everywhere along with baking soda and a paper bag
With shit in it just left there us not what I expected.
Did I fail to mention I love my job though!

Attachments

• 20181217_113015.jpg
    20181217_113015.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 20181217_113020.jpg
    20181217_113020.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 136

arrohmei

Oct 29, 2018
Real Name
Jeremy Priessman
I am vindictive. I would let her know that I am putting a lien on her house in the amount of the $150 plus interest plus the lien and legal fees. (This usually will care them into a prompt payment) if not, you will have to take it to small claims court to get a judgment.

Reactions: burbuja2