How important is scent in a prespray? How long would you like it to linger? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How important is scent in a prespray? How long would you like it to linger?

Cole21

Sep 12, 2016
Real Name
Cole Wuollet
I have been adding Unchained to my prespray on every residential job and several people have said that they like the smell. To me a nice smell is fairly important, it is something I haven’t focused on in the past but with people mentioning it with the Unchained I plan on continuing to try and use a pleasant scent.

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have been adding Unchained to my prespray on every residential job and several people have said that they like the smell. To me a nice smell is fairly important, it is something I haven’t focused on in the past but with people mentioning it with the Unchained I plan on continuing to try and use a pleasant scent.
That is the key, pleasant. Also, Unchained gives a cleaning and natural brightening boost. Added bonus.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
the typical orange smell gets old, lemon smell is terrible because everyone associates it with toilet bowl cleaner.

I want something just a little bit strong than spiked has scent wise, thats why we add a little bit of odoban to all our pre spray. Everyone loves the lavender scent, its light not overpowering.. smells clean like fresh laundry.

Its a mildewcide, fungicide, kills 99% of viruses, and is only $9.99/bottle of concentrate. Knocks out urine odors no problem

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
the typical orange smell gets old, lemon smell is terrible because everyone associates it with toilet bowl cleaner.

I want something just a little bit strong than spiked has scent wise, thats why we add a little bit of odoban to all our pre spray. Everyone loves the lavender scent, its light not overpowering.. smells clean like fresh laundry.

Its a mildewcide, fungicide, kills 99% of viruses, and is only $9.99/bottle of concentrate. Knocks out urine odors no problem
I hear what your saying. The problem is breathing a quat is extremely dangerous. We came up with something that you might like. Going to make 5 cases next week.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
This is the one I have been using for years.
Problem again, ton of harmful butyl. I had my chemist think outside industry box safer yet clean also.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I hear what your saying. The problem is breathing a quat is extremely dangerous. We came up with something that you might like. Going to make 5 cases next week.
@rob allen
could be wrong but I dont believe odo ban is quat.

Also its certified safe for use in hospitals and meets all EPA standards"

• OdoBan® is an EPA registered disinfectant. The EPA Registration No. is 66243-2.
  • OdoBan® meets AOAC efficacy standards for hospital disinfectants.
  • OdoBan® meets AOAC efficacy standards for non-food contact surface sanitizers on hard non-porous surfaces.
  • OdoBan® is a Hospital Disinfectant Cleaner that is effective against a wide variety of Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. It is also an excellent deodorant and leaves a clean fresh odor. Respiratory illnesses attributable to Pandemic 2009 H1N1 are caused by influenza A virus. OdoBan® is a broad-spectrum hard surface disinfectant that has been shown to be effective against Influenza A/Hong Kong and is expected to inactivate all influenza A viruses including Pandemic 2009 H1N1 (formerly called swine flu). OdoBan® has demonstrated effectiveness against Influenza A/Hong Kong and is expected to inactivate all influenza A viruses including Pandemic 2009 H1N1 (formerly called swine flu).
  • OdoBan® is an effective fungicide against Trichophyton interdigitale (the athlete's foot fungus) when used on surfaces in areas such as locker rooms, dressing rooms, shower and bath areas, and exercise facilities.
  • OdoBan® kills common germs ‡ such as Escherichia coli (E. coli), Staphylococcus aureus (Staph), Salmonella choleraesuis (Salmonella), Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep) and Influenza A/Hong Kong (Influenza) on pre-cleaned environmental surfaces in 10 minutes. Prevents the growth of odor causing bacteria.
  • OdoBan® is effective against animal and pet viruses such as Avian Influenza virus, Avian Infectious Bronchitis virus, Pseudorabies virus, Canine Distemper virus, and Newcastle’s Dise"
A Deodorizer… eliminates unpleasant odors on washable surfaces such as upholstery, carpets, bedding, showers, walls and floors while leaving a fresh scent.

A Sanitizer… kills 99.99% of germs such as †Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep), Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E.coli)(pathogenic strain), Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus (Staph) and Klebsiella pneumoniae on hard, nonporous, nonfood contact surfaces in 60 seconds.

A Disinfectant… fungicidal against germs ‡such as Trichophyton interdigitale (the athlete's foot fungus), when used on surfaces in areas such as locker rooms, dressing rooms, shower and bath areas and exercise facilities.

A Mildewstat… effectively controls and inhibits the growth of mold and mildew.

A Virucide*… kills *HIV-1 (AIDS Virus), Influenza A/Hong Kong and Herpes Simplex type 2 in 60 seconds.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Ive been using it for about 3 years now and I can say it has yet to fail on handling some pretty serious odors, works very well on urine and general musty dog smells.

The only thing is you dont want to run it through your TM, as it shouldnt be heated up...

That prochem floral one pictured above gave me a nasty headache first time I used it.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
@rob allen
could be wrong but I dont believe odo ban is quat.

Also its certified safe for use in hospitals and meets all EPA standards"

• OdoBan® is an EPA registered disinfectant. The EPA Registration No. is 66243-2.
  • OdoBan® meets AOAC efficacy standards for hospital disinfectants.
  • OdoBan® meets AOAC efficacy standards for non-food contact surface sanitizers on hard non-porous surfaces.
  • OdoBan® is a Hospital Disinfectant Cleaner that is effective against a wide variety of Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. It is also an excellent deodorant and leaves a clean fresh odor. Respiratory illnesses attributable to Pandemic 2009 H1N1 are caused by influenza A virus. OdoBan® is a broad-spectrum hard surface disinfectant that has been shown to be effective against Influenza A/Hong Kong and is expected to inactivate all influenza A viruses including Pandemic 2009 H1N1 (formerly called swine flu). OdoBan® has demonstrated effectiveness against Influenza A/Hong Kong and is expected to inactivate all influenza A viruses including Pandemic 2009 H1N1 (formerly called swine flu).
  • OdoBan® is an effective fungicide against Trichophyton interdigitale (the athlete's foot fungus) when used on surfaces in areas such as locker rooms, dressing rooms, shower and bath areas, and exercise facilities.
  • OdoBan® kills common germs ‡ such as Escherichia coli (E. coli), Staphylococcus aureus (Staph), Salmonella choleraesuis (Salmonella), Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep) and Influenza A/Hong Kong (Influenza) on pre-cleaned environmental surfaces in 10 minutes. Prevents the growth of odor causing bacteria.
  • OdoBan® is effective against animal and pet viruses such as Avian Influenza virus, Avian Infectious Bronchitis virus, Pseudorabies virus, Canine Distemper virus, and Newcastle’s Dise"
A Deodorizer… eliminates unpleasant odors on washable surfaces such as upholstery, carpets, bedding, showers, walls and floors while leaving a fresh scent.

A Sanitizer… kills 99.99% of germs such as †Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep), Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E.coli)(pathogenic strain), Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus (Staph) and Klebsiella pneumoniae on hard, nonporous, nonfood contact surfaces in 60 seconds.

A Disinfectant… fungicidal against germs ‡such as Trichophyton interdigitale (the athlete's foot fungus), when used on surfaces in areas such as locker rooms, dressing rooms, shower and bath areas and exercise facilities.

A Mildewstat… effectively controls and inhibits the growth of mold and mildew.

A Virucide*… kills *HIV-1 (AIDS Virus), Influenza A/Hong Kong and Herpes Simplex type 2 in 60 seconds.
Actually it does. It has dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. A lot. Fancy name to try hide the word "quat".

Reactions: Sabyl Nate

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Are you going to be making the cherry O2 booster again soon?
Must agree unchained smells pretty fresh and clean.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
We haven't stopped making it. Just didn't sell as fast as the citrus version. For the record, we are working on an Unchained powdered version.
Sometimes people are hesitant to try new things when the original product worked well. Cherry I don’t care for more or less then some others but it’s one scent I got so many compliments on when using it. You gotta give the people what they want!

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Yeah the feedback and client positivity to Unchained got me to thinking about scents. Seems like scents are a delicate issue. Too much, too little or too strong repels. Light, lingering natural scent is strongly desired, almost addicting. Seems Sweet Breeze hit that mark according to national feedback.
I love the scents and so do the customers,, does high ph affect the scent?
sometimes when I add grout master to my prespray it can knock out the scent...

That reminds me my stock is running low, If yall can remember it call me I need to order

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Scent is important as long as it is only a hint and not overwhelming. One if the issues we face is the fact that since we deal with certain odors on a daily basis we become immuned to them and often add more deodorizers than needed since we can barely smell it and it can be overwhelming for customers.
very true statement,,, my nose doesn't smell some scents

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
very true statement,,, my nose doesn't smell some scents
I am so used to walking into customers houses and they have dogs that I can't always pick up on the odors until we start prespaying. I don't know about other members but about 75% of my customers have dogs and a topical pet treatment is a big seller for us.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I am so used to walking into customers houses and they have dogs that I can't always pick up on the odors until we start prespaying. I don't know about other members but about 75% of my customers have dogs and a topical pet treatment is a big seller for us.
So if it's "built in" it will save you time and money while delivering that topical correct?

Reactions: SRD

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
75% of our market that we service that lives here full time, same.
25% of the seasonal visitors coming to their vacation homes have dogs.
But they always want their carpets cleaned even if they just think the dog had a accident.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
So if it's "built in" it will save you time and money while delivering that topical correct?
Yes it would. I have started asking about pets when the customers call and schedule more and have been pre selling the pet treatment when they book the appointment more than in the past. Many of the ones that are not sure about it during the phone call have been adding it once we arrive and they see how our professionalism is different than cleaners they have used in the past.

David hood

Dec 5, 2018
Real Name
David hood
Best scent is one that is so stink you can't tell it's an open it just sent me smell clean...that can vary from customer to customer but the two I have found to be the least intrusive and lasts the longest is eucalyptus a natural flower oil or spearmint because the fragrant is no stronger then smelling a stick of spearmint gum for example without the harsh overtones of an odor. David

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Actually it does. It has dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. A lot. Fancy name to try hide the word "quat".
could that be a different form of quat? makes me think its actually pretty safe because hospitals are pretty picky as to what they will allow contractors to use.

We used to have 5 hospital accounts, and they had to approve our products before allowing us to do any cleaning so we gave the facilities operations management a list of whats available from interlink and jon don.

They had someone in charge at the hospital go over it and the only product they approved for use was Matrix all fiber rinse. We told them that is going to make cleaning a challenge but they didnt seem to care too much as safety was main priority.

Granted this was 10+ years ago so new products have come out since but it seems Odo-ban would likely be approved.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

It's only an antimicrobial/fungicide if you use it as directed for those purposes. A little dab in the prespray to make things smell good likely has NO antimicrobial effect. Quats are generally meant to be used at 2-4 ounces per gallon with a dwell time of at least ten minutes for any disinfectant effect, and that's only on surfaces that are already clean.

Please, guys, read your labels and be careful of the claims you make.

Reactions: Scott W