How important is grooming carpet?

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Pretty much the same brotha I just figure it out as i go. Some times I gotta stretch it all or repair some kinda damage then clean so their just happy their carpet looks proper in that manner so if I don’t rake I think I get a pass. I think cleaners need to be more aware of seams and getting carpets really dry with that Ultimate fiber rinse on there. Like you said rugs upholstery groomed. My area customers are blown away by showing up on time vacuuming removing stains odor after that their too busy to care about it. But sometimes they had Stanley Coit or Zerorez I don’t want to give them an inch so I feel it out literally what are they watching on tv lol
Remember, your main and only competition is the guy you see in the mirror.

Reactions: mrotto

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I did it when I started out......with a portable as I do believe it helps a bit with drying.....and it’s what your “supposed” to do I guess.....never once in 13 years has a customer mention they wanted it although I’ve had a couple times where some have said “the last guy didn’t do that”......nice to hear but not nice enough for me to spend all the extra time on either........
Never had anyone request grooming but I know it needs to be done in order to improve appearance and promote drying.
If your charging for a premium service then you can spend the time to do it correctly.

Reactions: Joe cool and mrotto

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
ok, im the outsider again. I prefer to rake for the simple reason that it looks like it was just installed when I leave. Go hide what you cant get out with your shark tooth pattern (been there done that when using HOST) but you CANT hide anything if its all groomed in one direction. That forces you to do superior work.

Plus its just one more thing that separates my service from everyone else. (re Joe Polish)

Reactions: John Rockwood

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Really depends. Move ins/move outs I'm not going to rake. Even when using rotary. They will walk over it so much it doesn't matter.

95% of my cleanings I use a rotary. Haven't had maybe one or two complaints in 2 years.

Plus - the client is supposed to vacuum the carpet after it dries. SO if they call me and complain first thing I say is...did you vacuum?

Prices haven't hardly changed in 20 years for carpet cleaning. So it's difficult to include all the luxury amenities.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Really depends. Move ins/move outs I'm not going to rake. Even when using rotary. They will walk over it so much it doesn't matter.

95% of my cleanings I use a rotary. Haven't had maybe one or two complaints in 2 years.

Plus - the client is supposed to vacuum the carpet after it dries. SO if they call me and complain first thing I say is...did you vacuum?

Prices haven't hardly changed in 20 years for carpet cleaning. So it's difficult to include all the luxury amenities.
Cleaning strokes and rotary swirls were not there before you cleaned. They shouldn't be there after.
Complete vacuuming before starts the cleaning process.
You're the professional, get the price to do it correctly.
Unless your doing really cheap move ins/move outs your cleaning mindset should not change.

My price and process doesn't change from an empty to a million dollar home.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
It's not about the level of service in my opinion. The swirls aren't usually noticeable by the time I'm done, I don't go to town with crazy PSI and my Apex 570 has enough suction to generally not leave major marks like that.

I don't disagree with your statement, at the same time, I don't consider grooming an absolute necessity (Especially on a polyester carpet where it will immediately flatten back out from walking or vacuuming).

Nylon and Wool are a different story though, I generally will always rake those regardless because the heat can set the memory of the fiber.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
It's not about the level of service in my opinion. The swirls aren't usually noticeable by the time I'm done, I don't go to town with crazy PSI and my Apex 570 has enough suction to generally not leave major marks like that.

I don't disagree with your statement, at the same time, I don't consider grooming an absolute necessity (Especially on a polyester carpet where it will immediately flatten back out from walking or vacuuming).

Nylon and Wool are a different story though, I generally will always rake those regardless because the heat can set the memory of the fiber.
I don't totally disagree with you but I always groom no matter if it's Poly, Wool, Nylon, Olefin, etc. That's just what I do.