Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Many of us are cleaning veterans who’ve been around long enough to discern what’s best, what’s necessary and what’s not. That being said, how important is grooming carpet to you?

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Not very at all. I know all the reasons your supposed to. However I find clients like the shark tooth look. Makes them feel like they’ve really done something. Having said that most of my areas is berber carpet. I wouldn’t say its a waste of time grooming in general.

Reactions: rob allen

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
Many of us are cleaning veterans who’ve been around long enough to discern what’s best, what’s necessary and what’s not. That being said, how important is grooming carpet to you?

That’s a very good question. I want to say it’s not. I’m starting to just groom them lately not every job just when I know i should.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Some homeowners and especially property managers and landlords like that zig zaggy sharktooth pattern because it looks freshly cleaned.

Me, I like to leave it looking like it was brand new off the roll.
They don't come brand new off the roll with a vacuum pattern.

But to each their own. Give to the client whatever they prefer.

Reactions: mrotto

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
My clients have come to expect the backgammon look. If I tried change after 40 years there’d be a mutiny.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If I make a video on grooming what would you like to see most?

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
My clients have come to expect the backgammon look. If I tried change after 40 years there’d be a mutiny.

Did a redo for someone last week but I didn’t do HWE I took the picture and closed the door. lol
IMG_4357.JPG

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have one customer that I'm doing again this week or next week that just doesn't like the shark tooth. She is the one an ONLY person ever to mention it in YEARS. I've had comments from customers who love them many times and I've questioned others who responded with positive comments. It's pretty clear to me it's a winner. No need to rake them out in most cases. I believe the shark tooth pattern gives a professional look and at the same time you are giving all the carpet additional dry strokes for faster drying and less potential for problems. I only occasionally will rake a carpet if I think it's warranted. I NEVER leave rotary machine marks. I think they look tacky and I can't imagine customer's liking them either. If I'm only doing rotary extraction and no wand I will ALWAYS rake that out to give a uniform look or I take a few minutes and go over the room with the wand and do the pattern.

Last edited:

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Some homeowners and especially property managers and landlords like that zig zaggy sharktooth pattern because it looks freshly cleaned.

Me, I like to leave it looking like it was brand new off the roll.
They don't come brand new off the roll with a vacuum pattern.

But to each their own. Give to the client whatever they prefer.
You just have OCD. Obsessive Cleaner Disorder. Not a bad thing to have if you're in this business! I just want the customer to be happy with the work and avoid call backs! I agree with give the client what they prefer on this. Fortunately 99.99% have preferred the shark pattern which suits me just fine. :)

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Personally I wouldn't like the shark tooth pattern on my vehicle after a carwash but I do like the look of it on carpet. I read guys saying not grooming is "barbaric" and that "what are you trying to hide" but that's their own guilty conscious working against themselves. I only post groom to get foot prints out. It also leaves no question on rather we were there or not.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
What difference does it make, when they walk all over it after you leave there won’t be much left of your shark tooth’s or pleasantly groomed carpet......I only groom area rugs and fabric now.....I got better things to do......

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
What difference does it make, when they walk all over it after you leave there won’t be much left of your shark tooth’s or pleasantly groomed carpet......I only groom area rugs and fabric now.....I got better things to do......

We will never win the rake wars. I have 2 customers that want rake I have more that don’t know the difference

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
We will never win the rake wars. I have 2 customers that want rake I have more that don’t know the difference
I did it when I started out......with a portable as I do believe it helps a bit with drying.....and it’s what your “supposed” to do I guess.....never once in 13 years has a customer mention they wanted it although I’ve had a couple times where some have said “the last guy didn’t do that”......nice to hear but not nice enough for me to spend all the extra time on either........

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
I did it when I started out......with a portable as I do believe it helps a bit with drying.....and it’s what your “supposed” to do I guess.....never once in 13 years has a customer mention they wanted it although I’ve had a couple times where some have said “the last guy didn’t do that”......nice to hear but not nice enough for me to spend all the extra time on either........

Pretty much the same brotha I just figure it out as i go. Some times I gotta stretch it all or repair some kinda damage then clean so their just happy their carpet looks proper in that manner so if I don’t rake I think I get a pass. I think cleaners need to be more aware of seams and getting carpets really dry with that Ultimate fiber rinse on there. Like you said rugs upholstery groomed. My area customers are blown away by showing up on time vacuuming removing stains odor after that their too busy to care about it. But sometimes they had Stanley Coit or Zerorez I don’t want to give them an inch so I feel it out literally what are they watching on tv lol