How important is emptying out your waste tank? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How important is emptying out your waste tank?

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I sometimes forget and I dump it the next morning. I really didn't think much about it when I had a SS waste tank in my trailer but now I have an aluminum hydramaster waste tank in the van and I get reminded with the stink when I get in the van the next day. Is it bad to leave an aluminum waste tank full all night?

ology

Feb 19, 2010
USA
Real Name
B R
Business Location
United States
Would keep that tank as clean as you can, and empty it.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I sometimes forget and I dump it the next morning. I really didn't think much about it when I had a SS waste tank in my trailer but now I have an aluminum hydramaster waste tank in the van and I get reminded with the stink when I get in the van the next day. Is it bad to leave an aluminum waste tank full all night?
It happens that we forget to do stuff. There are at least 2 reasons why we should empty and clean waste tank.
1. Avoiding excess moisture getting to blower lobes
2. Your van is not going to be a stinking dog kennel, especially when your window is opened .
I have not forgotten to dump waste tank yet, but I always welcome an opportunity to clean lightly soiled carpeting
( a lot of it), this way clean water is swirling in the waste tank and rinses the waste tank. To mitigate smell in dump tank I use digesters. After completing job, dumping waste water and airing the blower, I run 1/2 gal of diluted digester trough vacuum port, if I don't have a digester on hand, I use Pro's choice liquid defoamer with Odor Kill. Once a week I hit the whole SS waste tank trough my service opening with 500-600 psi and hot water. In summer time I can use outside water spigot...
Once you get on the program, you'll love fresh smell of your waste tank...

Reactions: brian3180

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I forgot to mention that I have a 100 gallons waste tank, so I would have to take a lot of stench if I didn't clean it on regular bases...

jack zerkie

Jun 27, 2008
cape coral florida
Business Location
United States
I have the three rotovac tanks never smell and will outlast everything . I do clean them every day. 9 yrs and still like new. jz

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
This pump will last for years running continuously in all kinds of weather when used in Koi pond. So, I decided to try it out as an APO and it has lasted for several years of daily use in our Koi pond, and in my recovery tank in both of our vans.

Here is the filter. Cover the filter with a knee-high!

Last edited:

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
It is soooo nice to have a kickin' APO so you never have to use the waste tank dump valve daily!

The tank empties when the level is at one foot.
I have an APO but I don't use it. I guess it would be nice to use it when I do large jobs. I don't want to carry around a stank water hose, mainly because I don't have anywhere I would want to put it.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
So my #1 reason for not using the APO is having to deal with the pump getting clogged. I don't have an inline filter.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
agree. dump the waste tank at the end of the day. clean every other week (clean mostly high end residential so not too much dirty/smelly carpet)

I have an APO so the water level never gets over 12 inches. I got the new APO made by Harry at Janitors Closet. It actually has a backflush system to keep it clean which also rinses the bottom of the waste tank somewhat. Hasnt disappointed me yet.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
agree. dump the waste tank at the end of the day. clean every other week (clean mostly high end residential so not too much dirty/smelly carpet)

I have an APO so the water level never gets over 12 inches. I got the new APO made by Harry at Janitors Closet. It actually has a backflush system to keep it clean which also rinses the bottom of the waste tank somewhat. Hasnt disappointed me yet.
do you have a link for that APO???