Mile High Ron

Jan 12, 2010
Denver
Real Name
Ron Dick
Business Location
United States
Just how important are domain names like carpetcleaningyourcity.com
Do you need them to use as domain names or is it that you just use them as key words
in your site?

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
I heard it use to be important but not so much anymore. proper meta tag wording and proper SEO should win the day.

racebum

Jul 14, 2010
Oregon
www.mountainviewcarpetcare.com
Real Name
kyle
Business Location
United States
i know of one site in first place for a very good term that doesn't even have meta tags, it's all wordpress.

here's what i've noticed

in my area if you owned www.beavertoncarpetcleaning.com it would help you with that one key word and the ranking

however, seo really comes down to work

writing blogs
backlinking
videos
articles
the one key thing to remember is google ranks what people use. if your site can be made to show as useful or IS actually useful you're already ten steps ahead.

J

Jan 2, 2011
Real Name
J
Business Location
United States
I heard it use to be important but not so much anymore. proper meta tag wording and proper SEO should win the day.
Not true. Having keywords is your domain IS proper SEO. Having keywords (or an exact phrase match) in your domain helps so much in fact that SEO industry experts argue it helps TOO much.

The Meta Description actually has ZERO bearing in regards to SEO, it's simply the description that will show up as a snippet in the SERPs.

Ultrabrite

Jan 31, 2011
MD
Real Name
Tom Carter
Not true. Having keywords is your domain IS proper SEO. Having keywords (or an exact phrase match) in your domain helps so much in fact that SEO industry experts argue it helps TOO much.

The Meta Description actually has ZERO bearing in regards to SEO, it's simply the description that will show up as a snippet in the SERPs.
I would have to agree with fencerider. Having the keyword phrase as part of your domain name is pretty ****ed powerful. My problem is that all of those domain names are either taken, or WAY out of my price range. Additionally, I would also agree that while Meta Descriptions have some value with Yahoo/Bing, they have no value in a Google search.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
How come when i google "carpet cleaning" not 1 site on 1st page has those keywords in domain

If it is so important how come it is not?

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
www.carpetcleaninghoustonpro.com
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
How come when i google "carpet cleaning" not 1 site on 1st page has those keywords in domain

PREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to leave this thread alone, just because of all the conflicting information I've read. Then again, maybe I shouldnt be finding my SEO information off of 4chan.

J

Jan 2, 2011
Real Name
J
Business Location
United States

Cause a pro hasn't entered your marketplace....

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=buffalo+carpet+cleaning&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

look who's ranked #1 for buffalo carpet cleaning...you think that's a coincidence with only 16 incoming links and a proper tittle tag?

p.s.

i didn't run the query for 'carpet cleaning buafflo' because nobody is currently gunning for that with a keyword rich domain....

case closed...NEXT!
who would possibly do a search like that?
toledo carpet cleaning

i dont even think people punch any city name usually let alone put it first
and btw the A place page was us pretty sure i am getting a call

greenj26

Feb 28, 2011
WA
Real Name
Jesse Green
Business Location
United States
I think that your domain name AND metatags are important. I have heard that metatags aren't really very important anymore. But when I recently re-calibrated all my metatags I saw a jump in my serp. Of course I also re-did my page titles, so I'm not sure what the change can be attributed to. I should use the scientific method and only change one variable at a time :). I'm not an seo expert by any means.

With regards to domain names and seo, I believe that it is still weighed heavily. My brother has a carpet cleaning business, and he recently got a new domain name with his city and "carpet cleaning" in the url and I believe that he has notices a significant jump in his rankings.

It seems like they are always changing the rules with seo. However, some of this is good. They are making it harder for spammers and people using shady techniques to get good results. I think google is trying to reward folks with good websites and good content and discourage spammers. I hate it when I'm reading a post and someone just pops up and says, "yes, I totally agree. By the way I have just received my free xyz in the mail and it is the best product I have ever used! to clean my abc with"

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
"carpet cleaning" no city has something like 600,000 searches month
and yet when i punched it up not 1 had carpet cleaning in domain

Why because stanley steemer and chemdry have like 30,000 links thats why

im sure it matters in obscure searches like buffalo carpet cleaning

J

Jan 2, 2011
Real Name
J
Business Location
United States
toledo carpet cleaning

You are getting off course and missing the point. Above you questioned why nobody who had a keyword rich domain was ranking when you typed in carpet cleaning. I gave an example local to your market of a keyword rich domain ranking for keywords important to your market...

In regards to "who would possibly do a search like that?" Uhh...how bout quite a few people. My company booked a job this morning, when I asked the lady how she found us, she said she googled dallas carpet repair, go figure.

Google says 46 people do the exact same thing in your market every month.

http://screencast.com/t/XMuRLGoQty

If you think your #3 spot suffices, for a phrase that receives 46 searches per month, instead of being #1, then so be it.

In regards to the phrase 'carpet cleaning', it actually receives 49,500 searches per month in the U.S. according to Google.

http://screencast.com/t/bc5ueWk6

(Keep in mind Google has approximately 75% market share, so there is more search volume left divided up between the other engines)

The reason you don't see a keyword rich domain on the first page for this phrase is because none deserve to be.

Google has many 'ranking signals', hundreds in fact. A keyword rich domain just happens to be one.

NEXT

rynophiliac

Dec 6, 2010
Real Name
Ryno Man
Business Location
United States
Exact match keyword domains name definitely DO help rankings. Do a quick search for "hotels" or "credit cards". However this is not the ONLY factor that contributes to ranking so there are plenty of sites with #1 positions that are not exact match domains. There are very few exact match domains left and the owners who bought them all up want a fortune for them. In my opinion if you can get an exact match for a cheap price you should get it if you can't you are better off spending that money on other factors that contribute to your ranking like hiring an SEO guy who knows what he is doing.

As for which is typed in most "your service + your city" or the other way around "your city + your service" It depends on the service and the area. The best way to find out is to rank #1 for both spots the track your analytics and find out! I have found that most services pull higher searches with the service first then the location second. But some services are the other way around. For example "phoenix plumber" pulls in more then "plumber phoenix" but "pest control phoenix" pulls in more searches then "phoenix pest control".

Newman

Oct 20, 2008
St. Charles, Illinois
Real Name
Chris Newman

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
toledo carpet cleaning

Last time I looked, Houston carpet cleaning | carpet cleaning houston got about 2000+ searchs a month. If you're just referring to "carpet cleaning", then yes, it's going to be harder to get ranked for that name, no matter you do, however, what someone had mentioned before in another thread is, "carpet cleaning city" is a long tail keyword, thus, the competition is less fierce than just 'CARPET CLEANING'

im sure it matters in obscure searches like buffalo carpet cleaning
apparently, that obscure keyword gets 590 searches a month:
https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/Explorer?__u=1000000000&__c=1000000000&ideaRequestType=KEYWORD_IDEAS#search.none

I'm unsure if the "KW CITY" thing does have clout, I will say, i believe it's another TOOL to helping with SEO. May not be the #1 thing to do, but it's definitely a tool to assist.

rynophiliac

Dec 6, 2010
Real Name
Ryno Man
Business Location
United States
Last time I looked, Houston carpet cleaning | carpet cleaning houston got about 2000+ searchs a month. If you're just referring to "carpet cleaning", then yes, it's going to be harder to get ranked for that name, no matter you do, however, what someone had mentioned before in another thread is, "carpet cleaning city" is a long tail keyword, thus, the competition is less fierce than just 'CARPET CLEANING'

https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/Explorer?__u=1000000000&__c=1000000000&ideaRequestType=KEYWORD_IDEAS#search.none

I'm unsure if the "KW CITY" thing does have clout, I will say, i believe it's another TOOL to helping with SEO. May not be the #1 thing to do, but it's definitely a tool to assist.
great advice above.

also, if your using the google keyword tool make sure you scroll down and uncheck the boxes "phrase" and "broad" and check the box that says "exact" this will give you a much more accurate result. But just a little FYI about the google keyword tool... it is full of crap.

J

Jan 2, 2011
Real Name
J
Business Location
United States

Did you read my post? It doesn't get 590..I provided a screen shot, but thanks for proving my point.

Also, you said you are 'unsure if it has clout', but 'it's definitely a tool to assist'. Which is it? Above you said PREACH, but seems like you are changing your tune...:)

Dbonezny

Oct 13, 2009
Houston Tx
Real Name
Jose
Business Location
United States
Did you read my post? It doesn't get 590..I provided a screen shot, but thanks for proving my point.

Also, you said you are 'unsure if it has clout', but 'it's definitely a tool to assist'. Which is it? Above you said PREACH, but seems like you are changing your tune...:)
watch it woman, i'll hire someone to take out your good knee! or bad? either way, I purposely didn't read your post, so shush, also, Shane was referring to "carpet cleaning" not just "CC,CITY" which is why I agreed.......that being said...

I'm sticking to my guns of not knowing what the hedoublehockey sticks i'm talking about, and, playing both sides of the coin, just so that I come off as if I know what i'm saying, but secretly, it's all braile to me. I just wunna cut logs :sad:

J

Jan 2, 2011
Real Name
J
Business Location
United States
lol..touche