How I made a website for under $100 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How I made a website for under $100

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Wow give the kid a break, he's just starting out with his business and raising a family.

There's nothing wrong with using your own time as labor instead of dishing out dollars to get something you need.

I think we all did this at the start, I don't know anyone here that's a second generation business man that had all the tools and money they needed from the get go.

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
Real Name
Ray Thomas
Wow give the kid a break, he's just starting out with his business and raising a family.

There's nothing wrong with using your own time as labor instead of dishing out dollars to get something you need.

I think we all did this at the start, I don't know anyone here that's a second generation business man that had all the tools and money they needed from the get go.
thanks, I think there obviously is a lot of truth to what is being said, yet I can't help but feel like I'm being used as an example to hire their web services or else you'll look like this guy. I didn't add that link that in my original post that takes them to their web services. Maybe I should have thought this through. TMF won't like it if there was a decent option for newbies with no website. Decent. not optimal.

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
Real Name
Ray Thomas
Also, Bob who was talking about how my sht won't rank has already messaged me trying to sell his seo services. Which is all good and largely (I think) true, but the ones that can make money off it are the ones with the loudest criticism.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
oh wow. Yes I have much work to do on the mobile side. OUCH, and there goes any pride I had in my website haha.
I was going for the family owned and what not. I'll get some before/afters in the next couple weeks. Got some work lined up.
and I agree, I absolutely need it to rank.
Don't get disappointed. You did good. Here is the thing, If you want your site to rank you will need a better platform. Not only that is responsive but one that also offers cleaner code and it is up to date with css and html. However, there are ways you can bring traffic to your site and make it visble only for those who you want them to see it. You did a great job learning now keep working on it.

If you got questions call me I'll answer them all. I'm not a designer or seo guru I have no interest to sell you crap. I can help you make a better desition.

forget about pics make sure it sells.

Reactions: emeraldclean

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Ahhhh - you mean like it looks on the sales page! Not gonna happen. Some of them are tough to work on. I am tuning one up now for a member and I gotta say - it's killin me! And I.m pretty good with themes.
some have features that were done with other plug ins. all those themes are just a foundation

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Also, Bob who was talking about how my sht won't rank has already messaged me trying to sell his seo services. Which is all good and largely (I think) true, but the ones that can make money off it are the ones with the loudest criticism.
How is that a bad thing? Are we not the most critical of clients who clean carpets themselves?

I wasn't knocking you, just offering my perspective even though I have never built a site in my life, nor would I if my son didn't build them. I just would paid someone. I learned long ago that my time is valuable and I need to focus on what I do best and pay others to do everything else. Heck last I heard Tre wasn't even taking any more sites on for awhile and has people on a waiting list.

Lastly I do recognize that first you crawl, then you walk then run. I don't know where you are in that stream of things. Only you do. If you are not ready then go for it. If you are then pay for it, regardless of who you use. In the end I respect whatever you do and wish you the best.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
I think all you Truckmount guys need to remember the Op looks like a low moisture guy. And we all know how sensitive the diaper spinners can get. :D

earl804

May 16, 2014
York PA
www.susclean.com
Real Name
alex c
Business Location
United States
First of all, for the vets, don't be mad about me saying VLM is my preferred method. Everyone needs to play to their strengths and that is what I'm offering. Expecting heat anyway. (website link in last section at the bottom)

In the early stages of starting a business you realize that equipment, method and marketing seem to constantly compete for the "most important" part of your business. I have come to the conclusion that marketing is much more of a priority than anything else. (we'll see if I'm accurate once I have a few years under my belt!) Nevertheless, a website suddenly became a daunting task that left me feeling stressed and hopeless. Sounds silly, but I had already figured out I'd be about 8 months away from being in business and now I had to add the funds for a website! There was absolutely no way I was going to put 8+ months of studying and savings into a business and not even have a website.

So for those starting out, here is what I've opted for.
I went and bought a domain from Go daddy . com. This also helped me chose what my company name was going to be based on what was available. I think it was something like $39 or something for some of their upgraded features - that I may not have actually needed. still not sure...

But then I studied for days about web design, open space, graphics, content and how to make something stand out. I'm clearly and amateur web designer at best and an utter disgrace to the internet at worst :p

I had played around with coding in the past because I am a huge nerd, but quickly realized how much I had forgotten and how awful my abilities were in the first place.
Go daddy saved me a ton of work and money with their website builder. It came free with the domain and I put it to hard use!

Basically you choose a layout and add your content the way you want it.
The layout I chose isn't even recognizable now after after everything was edited over and over.
I tried to find free images online that were not prohibited by copyrights. PSHHHH what a joke. I made a decent website look like a middleschooler's homework assignment because I was letting my photo restrictions dictate the layout.

I went to adobe stock . com and signed up for their monthly subscription. Bingo. I got 10 images - normally 100 but the monthly sub. gave you 10 images each month for $49.99. I got my images and cancelled the subscription.

Here is my final website. www.PurePowerClean.com Could it be better? OF COURSE! please critique still though, as criticism is invaluable to me.

Hopefully this will prove to be a viable solution for those others who are starting out or are just thinking about it and have no idea where to start.

My next and even larger task is figuring out how to get my SEO up to speed. maybe that'll be a post in the future...

Hey bud - good job getting your site up!

Maybe you already said, but have you gotten a google+ page yet? I have a buddy with an established biz that has ZERO content on his site except for a crappy pic of his rig, phone number and a couple lines. However he does have 40+ 5 star google reviews and his website kills it for him

Get on Google Places so u show up on the map, and work on getting reviews. That will help with search visability

Also, im a newb, a website novice, and just launched my website. Its about 50% complete as far as where i want it to be. I had a very similar approach to yours.

Check it out - also id love some constructive criticism from the vets here:

http://

I am lacking some links/contact on a couple pages, have no pics, and know i need to work on backlinks and more original content

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ray Thomas

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
It is a great start, make website design and SEO your hobby and you will succeed.

Reactions: Ray Thomas

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
The pic of you in jeans needs to go. The family pic is very very good.

But I must say, you are surprised when people say they cleaned their own carpet with a Rug Dr and yet you know as a professional you can do a much better job. And yet you think you know websites when actually you have a Rug Dr type website.

I find it ironic that cleaners will pay 1200 for wand instead building it themselves, and yet will jump in and try to build a 1200 website that brings more money than a wand ever will. Most fail miserably just like homeowners cleaning their own carpets. Just saying.
I couldn't agree more - might as well do your own taxes as well etc - etc - etc!

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
ouch :O
Welp I'll keep workin with what I have until I get what I want.

And I didn't claim to know all this stuff. I just said I researched it for days. not years. even made fun of myself a bit for it.

thanks for your perspective. At the end of the day, who cares what I think about it, what matters is how others perceive it, so I'll keep it on my to do list.
Easy to swap pics out so no issue there. Change them as you get better ones - take pics of everything you do - videos as well. Family pics are great for the about us page - lots of peeps will read that about me page.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
What I am saying is that it won't rank because of the backend of the site - not the site itself. I have worked on some great looking sites that are a mess behind the scenes. My own site is butt ugly but the backend is pretty solid so it ranks. On page SEO is extremely important and many sites will rank with good onpage - it will be difficult to tune up your on page with that syle of site - can it be done - yep. Just trying to help as I have helped many others here and in other places. Spent an hour last week on the phone with a member here on his SEO - told him all was well and he didn't need me or anybody else. I have also spent hours on the phone and time here helping out for $0 - on SEO as well as my 30 years of cleaning experience. Honestly - SEO is a PITA and the return I get from doing it is nowhere near the amount of time effort and $ I put into learning it.
Just trying to give the help you asked for - feel free to reach out to me ant any time.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
some have features that were done with other plug ins. all those themes are just a foundation
True. many premium themes will come with some great paid plugins. There are some really good freebies as well.

Tater

Jan 14, 2014
Real Name
Richard Whithers
WEEBLY Free builder, free hosting. I pay 10 a year for site name. Done. Then as stated before get Yelp page and couple positive reviews and same with google pages well.

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
First of all, for the vets, don't be mad about me saying VLM is my preferred method. Everyone needs to play to their strengths and that is what I'm offering. Expecting heat anyway. (website link in last section at the bottom)

In the early stages of starting a business you realize that equipment, method and marketing seem to constantly compete for the "most important" part of your business. I have come to the conclusion that marketing is much more of a priority than anything else. (we'll see if I'm accurate once I have a few years under my belt!) Nevertheless, a website suddenly became a daunting task that left me feeling stressed and hopeless. Sounds silly, but I had already figured out I'd be about 8 months away from being in business and now I had to add the funds for a website! There was absolutely no way I was going to put 8+ months of studying and savings into a business and not even have a website.

So for those starting out, here is what I've opted for.
I went and bought a domain from Go daddy . com. This also helped me chose what my company name was going to be based on what was available. I think it was something like $39 or something for some of their upgraded features - that I may not have actually needed. still not sure...

But then I studied for days about web design, open space, graphics, content and how to make something stand out. I'm clearly and amateur web designer at best and an utter disgrace to the internet at worst :p

I had played around with coding in the past because I am a huge nerd, but quickly realized how much I had forgotten and how awful my abilities were in the first place.
Go daddy saved me a ton of work and money with their website builder. It came free with the domain and I put it to hard use!

Basically you choose a layout and add your content the way you want it.
The layout I chose isn't even recognizable now after after everything was edited over and over.
I tried to find free images online that were not prohibited by copyrights. PSHHHH what a joke. I made a decent website look like a middleschooler's homework assignment because I was letting my photo restrictions dictate the layout.

I went to adobe stock . com and signed up for their monthly subscription. Bingo. I got 10 images - normally 100 but the monthly sub. gave you 10 images each month for $49.99. I got my images and cancelled the subscription.

Here is my final website. www.PurePowerClean.com Could it be better? OF COURSE! please critique still though, as criticism is invaluable to me.

Hopefully this will prove to be a viable solution for those others who are starting out or are just thinking about it and have no idea where to start.

My next and even larger task is figuring out how to get my SEO up to speed. maybe that'll be a post in the future...

I think most people forget that everyone has to start somewhere. I am a big believer in DIY websites, especially if you stick with it. Good Luck!