How I made a website for under $100 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How I made a website for under $100

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
Real Name
Ray Thomas
First of all, for the vets, don't be mad about me saying VLM is my preferred method. Everyone needs to play to their strengths and that is what I'm offering. Expecting heat anyway. (website link in last section at the bottom)

In the early stages of starting a business you realize that equipment, method and marketing seem to constantly compete for the "most important" part of your business. I have come to the conclusion that marketing is much more of a priority than anything else. (we'll see if I'm accurate once I have a few years under my belt!) Nevertheless, a website suddenly became a daunting task that left me feeling stressed and hopeless. Sounds silly, but I had already figured out I'd be about 8 months away from being in business and now I had to add the funds for a website! There was absolutely no way I was going to put 8+ months of studying and savings into a business and not even have a website.

So for those starting out, here is what I've opted for.
I went and bought a domain from Go daddy . com. This also helped me chose what my company name was going to be based on what was available. I think it was something like $39 or something for some of their upgraded features - that I may not have actually needed. still not sure...

But then I studied for days about web design, open space, graphics, content and how to make something stand out. I'm clearly and amateur web designer at best and an utter disgrace to the internet at worst :p

I had played around with coding in the past because I am a huge nerd, but quickly realized how much I had forgotten and how awful my abilities were in the first place.
Go daddy saved me a ton of work and money with their website builder. It came free with the domain and I put it to hard use!

Basically you choose a layout and add your content the way you want it.
The layout I chose isn't even recognizable now after after everything was edited over and over.
I tried to find free images online that were not prohibited by copyrights. PSHHHH what a joke. I made a decent website look like a middleschooler's homework assignment because I was letting my photo restrictions dictate the layout.

I went to adobe stock . com and signed up for their monthly subscription. Bingo. I got 10 images - normally 100 but the monthly sub. gave you 10 images each month for $49.99. I got my images and cancelled the subscription.

Here is my final website. www.PurePowerClean.com Could it be better? OF COURSE! please critique still though, as criticism is invaluable to me.

Hopefully this will prove to be a viable solution for those others who are starting out or are just thinking about it and have no idea where to start.

My next and even larger task is figuring out how to get my SEO up to speed. maybe that'll be a post in the future...

Reactions: Mike Krall

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Nice bro,,dont think you need three pictures of yourself on the slider..

Where does the dirt go??:p

Not very mobile friendly, i couldnt send out an email with my phone either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray Thomas

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Doesn't matter how your site looks - only if it ranks. If you are using it just for your customers to look at you are fine. That site won't rank - thats ok as long as you are fine with that.

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Real Name
Ray Thomas
oh wow. Yes I have much work to do on the mobile side. OUCH, and there goes any pride I had in my website haha.
I was going for the family owned and what not. I'll get some before/afters in the next couple weeks. Got some work lined up.
and I agree, I absolutely need it to rank.

comfort carpet care

Jul 15, 2013
Georgia
www.comfortcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Michael Comfort
oh wow. Yes I have much work to do on the mobile side. OUCH, and there goes any pride I had in my website haha.
I was going for the family owned and what not. I'll get some before/afters in the next couple weeks. Got some work lined up.
and I agree, I absolutely need it to rank.
Sorry bro! Family pic is good. Maybe kill 2 birds with 1 stone, family pic in front of truck and other pics of work you have done. Or static family pic and scroll of work done. It still looks good...

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Looks great Ray!

I would just put more pictures of your wife and baby and less of you and the work will pour in :D

Reactions: earl804

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Real Name
Ray Thomas
Looks great Ray!

I would just put more pictures of your wife and baby and less of you and the work will pour in :D
Ok Updated the pictures. My best (only) before and after's I have. plus family pic. plus one of me so that they don't think it is some random stock photo of a family sitting in the grass. haha

Reactions: Omar

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Just say buy to room at regular price....in your coupon and there won't be any need for either of your disclaimers

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Nice thing about websites - yo can keep messin around with them until you like it.
My point of ranking - the code on that site is messy so it may never rank. I would put up a wordpress site - much cleaner in the background.

Reactions: Mike Krall

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
I don't want to be mean or anything it LOOKS like a website you made for under $10

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Doesn't matter how your site looks - only if it ranks. If you are using it just for your customers to look at you are fine. That site won't rank - thats ok as long as you are fine with that.

I would really listen to Bob on this point. I can tell you from experience if you don't have enough content to rank it's going to be an uphill battle playing catch up to websites in your area who started before you.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Nice thing about websites - yo can keep messin around with them until you like it.
My point of ranking - the code on that site is messy so it may never rank. I would put up a wordpress site - much cleaner in the background.

One thing I thing is absolutely retarded about wordpress sites is you buy a theme right...then they give you a blank page, WTF is up with that. You should get the theme pages already laid out exactly like the example and get to go in and edit the content...freakin hate that

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Just say buy to room at regular price....in your coupon and there won't be any need for either of your disclaimers

Except spell "two" correctly of course...

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
One thing I thing is absolutely retarded about wordpress sites is you buy a theme right...then they give you a blank page, WTF is up with that. You should get the theme pages already laid out exactly like the example and get to go in and edit the content...freakin hate that
It's pretty easy really - bit of a learning curve but you are better off putting your own content. At least close to it.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
It's pretty easy really - bit of a learning curve but you are better off putting your own content. At least close to it.

Of course it would be my own content however if you're buying a theme...you should get THE THEME

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Of course it would be my own content however if you're buying a theme...you should get THE THEME
Ahhhh - you mean like it looks on the sales page! Not gonna happen. Some of them are tough to work on. I am tuning one up now for a member and I gotta say - it's killin me! And I.m pretty good with themes.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The pic of you in jeans needs to go. The family pic is very very good.

But I must say, you are surprised when people say they cleaned their own carpet with a Rug Dr and yet you know as a professional you can do a much better job. And yet you think you know websites when actually you have a Rug Dr type website.

I find it ironic that cleaners will pay 1200 for wand instead building it themselves, and yet will jump in and try to build a 1200 website that brings more money than a wand ever will. Most fail miserably just like homeowners cleaning their own carpets. Just saying.

Reactions: admin

Mike Ross

Banned
Feb 21, 2015
Real Name
Mike Ross

But I must say, you are surprised when people say they cleaned their own carpet with a Rug Dr and yet you know as a professional you can do a much better job. And yet you think you know websites when actually you have a Rug Dr type website.

I find it ironic that cleaners will pay 1200 for wand instead building it themselves, and yet will jump in and try to build a 1200 website that brings more money than a wand ever will. Most fail miserably just like homeowners cleaning their own carpets. Just saying.

Rob, (Just saying), the general public can do their own pest control with great success... now if you want Avitrol, you may need a Lic. to "legally" purchase it...

The general public can also maintain their own carpet with the Rug Dr... Bissell... whatever.

I remember the Rug DR. video you posted to start your forum.... Yes, you out cleaned it.... congrats. What you failed to disclose is the Rug Dr. side Dried faster.

The whole truth.... or nothing...

Just saying...

Forget about ranking... do a good job...Amway style...

Do you need me to draw circles..?

Ray Thomas

Oct 6, 2014
Real Name
Ray Thomas

ouch :O
Welp I'll keep workin with what I have until I get what I want.

And I didn't claim to know all this stuff. I just said I researched it for days. not years. even made fun of myself a bit for it.

thanks for your perspective. At the end of the day, who cares what I think about it, what matters is how others perceive it, so I'll keep it on my to do list.

Reactions: rob allen