How Far Are You Willing To Travel? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How Far Are You Willing To Travel?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
as an O/O I have a pretty tight service area - 20-25 miles but that is enough to keep me busy.

The farthest I traveled was to Chicago a long time back - we cleaned 13 floors of the Time/Life building. Took us a couple weekends

Reactions: emeraldclean

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Our company normally traveled about 25 miles, necessary in a rural area. Over 38 years, there were rare instances where we traveled much further, a few times over 300 miles. We had minimum charge that varied with the distance. Two or three times per year, we traveled 60 to 90 miles for regular customers who had enough work to make the job profitable.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Ive traveled 6 hrs round trip, worked 4 hrs, made $1000,back to the office by 5. Its tuff tho.
Wow, 3 hours each way! I don't like to go over an hour each way and very rarely go more than an hour. It would really have to be worth it to go much farther. It's nice when my jobs are local and are from only 5 to 15 minutes anywhere in town, but I get quite a few calls from all around my area. I don't mind the drive time as long as I'm getting compensated for it as well as the job.

Lawlor

Sep 11, 2019
Danville va
Real Name
Donald brown
Business Location
United States
SO how far are you willing to travel on a job site? How many miles from your location are you willing to travel? Just basic question.. Do you charge gas included with your services?
I really dont think people here dont make half the money they post u can always dream

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
I go up to 100 miles out. Half my work is in Vegas which is 60 miles away. I can't charge extra for travel since I am the one that lives out of the city and there are hundreds of other cleaners in Vegas that of course don't have to even think of travel fees.

That being said I always book the day up when I go to Vegas. I generally go there 2-3 days a week and work full days so it's worth it.
Ever considered to move closer to Vegas?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Ever considered to move closer to Vegas?
That’s where I was born and raised, we moved out here 17 years ago now and I have really come to like the rural life. The post you quoted was about 3 years ago, in the time since I have really focused my advertising here local to where I live and it has paid off. Most weeks I only go into Vegas once or twice a week anymore. It took some time but the business has really grown here in my home town. I can see the day in the next year or so that I just refer the remainder of my Vegas jobs to a Vegas cleaner.

Reactions: Scott W

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Wow, 3 hours each way! I don't like to go over an hour each way and very rarely go more than an hour. It would really have to be worth it to go much farther. It's nice when my jobs are local and are from only 5 to 15 minutes anywhere in town, but I get quite a few calls from all around my area. I don't mind the drive time as long as I'm getting compensated for it as well as the job.
Ha, I’m going to a job Thursday night out in Death Valley where it’s almost a 2 hour drive each way. I go out there every 6 weeks to clean a restaurant. The job itself takes us about 3 hours so we drive longer than we work. It’s worth it though, the job is just over $1000.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Ha, I’m going to a job Thursday night out in Death Valley where it’s almost a 2 hour drive each way. I go out there every 6 weeks to clean a restaurant. The job itself takes us about 3 hours so we drive longer than we work. It’s worth it though, the job is just over $1000.
For me, that's almost a trip to St. Louis. It would REALLY have to be worth my while to go that far.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
For me, that's almost a trip to St. Louis. It would REALLY have to be worth my while to go that far.
Sadly, or lucky for me, which ever way you want to look at it I’m the closest carpet cleaner to them. They are definitely paying for the drive time.

WESTEX CLEANING

Sep 2, 2019
Real Name
Michael Olson
I'm going to put a 50 mile radius 100 miles round trip from my office to there door I'm not going to charge extra on large jobs$$$$ but will on small jobs $$ like others will just up my sq. ft. Price