How Far Are You Willing To Travel? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How Far Are You Willing To Travel?

Denilson Hernandez

May 8, 2016
Real Name
Denilson Hernandez
SO how far are you willing to travel on a job site? How many miles from your location are you willing to travel? Just basic question.. Do you charge gas included with your services?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
SO how far are you willing to travel on a job site? How many miles from your location are you willing to travel? Just basic question.. Do you charge gas included with your services?
I occasionally get asked to go pretty far out. My limit is about 50 miles each way so 100 mile round trip and I make sure it's worth my while. Last time I went pretty far out it was a 500.00 job so to me that was well worth my while and I did not charge extra for the trip although I could have. It was about an hour each way. They did buy me lunch though so that was good. :) If they just want a small job I will tack on some extra if it's beyond like 20 miles each way. There are a lot of very small towns as well as people in different counties I service. I will either charge a little more per sq. ft. or tack a little extra on to the job. I find it's best to incorporate the charges into the bill rather than add a "gas" or "trip" fee. So I may just up my price by 5 to 10 cents per sq. ft. if that's feasible.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
We have a 25 mile radius generally. I've gone 5 hours away to do a job. I even went 8 hours once. If it's big enough Ill go to ...............Sri Lanka. :)

Reactions: Denilson Hernandez

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I basically covered 11 counties when doing the insurance claim work, though I have traveled further. These jobs were very high dollar and usually took between 2-5 days to complete, so it was BIG money. I once drove down to Baltimore from NYC to do a "Harry Homeowner" job. It was over $2,300 so it was worth it.

If You Got The Money - I Got The Time.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
I did a job last summer that was 3 hrs. away. The home owner was good friends with the owner of a restoration company I do work for. The whole time I was driving there, I was cursing myself for taking the job...... Turned out that It was a whole house, area rugs, and some uph...... The ticket on the job was 735.00. The lady of the house wrote the check for a grand even...... I about fell over when she handed me the check.... To top it off, she sent me on my way with a dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies, and a fresh cup of coffee..... Would I do it again? ABSOLUTLY!!!!!!!!!!! Really nice southern lady, that married a Canadian guy.......
Jeff @ SCC

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
no job too small no fee to high

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I've gone farther than 50 miles, but I was related to them so that doesn't count. :) Majority of my calls are within 50 miles anyway. Can't even remember the last time someone called out further than that. It would have to be a BIG ticket to get me out further. :D Thousand dollars I'm speeding down the highway!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I go up to 100 miles out. Half my work is in Vegas which is 60 miles away. I can't charge extra for travel since I am the one that lives out of the city and there are hundreds of other cleaners in Vegas that of course don't have to even think of travel fees.

That being said I always book the day up when I go to Vegas. I generally go there 2-3 days a week and work full days so it's worth it.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Service area is about a 50 mile radius.
My work is rural and small towns ( 30-35k total pop).
I book for minimal driving time in the day.
When I'm over working in another town 30 miles away I try to book another job in the area.
Depending on the size of the job. Many days I just do one big job .
Takes 30-45 mins to drive to ( all highway , don't fight city traffic) then there for 5-6 hrs.
Today my one big job $700-$800 is only 5 mins from my house.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I lived in a rural area and travel was expected. I regularly went 25 miles or so. Some of my better customers would recommend me to friends or a few even moved farther away. I dis travel as much as 120 at times.

I did not charge for gas and I did not change my per sq. ft price. But my minimum job did increase as I went further out.

These numbers won't necessarily work for you today. And they changed over the 35+ years that I ran my carpet cleaning business. These numbers were from the later 1970s through 1980s.

In town - 5 miles my minimum was about $75
In the county about 25 mile radius minimum was $99
In enighboring cities up to 50 miles away the minimum was $175
Out to 75 miles away, minimum was $300
100 miles away for $400 minimum.

A few folks would plan their work at the same time as a neighbor so that I could get the minimum for going 75 or 100 miles.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I lived in a rural area and travel was expected. I regularly went 25 miles or so. Some of my better customers would recommend me to friends or a few even moved farther away. I dis travel as much as 120 at times.

I did not charge for gas and I did not change my per sq. ft price. But my minimum job did increase as I went further out.

These numbers won't necessarily work for you today. And they changed over the 35+ years that I ran my carpet cleaning business. These numbers were from the later 1970s through 1980s.

In town - 5 miles my minimum was about $75
In the county about 25 mile radius minimum was $99
In enighboring cities up to 50 miles away the minimum was $175
Out to 75 miles away, minimum was $300
100 miles away for $400 minimum.

A few folks would plan their work at the same time as a neighbor so that I could get the minimum for going 75 or 100 miles.
I copied this minimum style based on Scott's mention before. I am willing to travel for the right size job.