Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
What is the sweet spot for scheduling appointments? Right now I'm stupid busy booking into late October including Saturdays. This may seem great to some but I'm losing a lot of repeat customers that need it done right away.

I'm not ready to put a second crew on the road and winter is right around the corner.

How far do you like to book ahead?

tres

Mar 3, 2015
Real Name
tres davis
If you are booked till late October you are doing great and need to get another machine running.

Reactions: suncarpet

mikew

Sep 1, 2010
California
www.trustcarpets.com
Real Name
Mike
Business Location
United States
I was in the same boat. I made sure I got my repeat customers in. Worked Sunday's for awhile. Didn't want to loose repeat money. I did add a second van eventually took a big load off able to do more jobs big jobs faster. Plus not slammed 7 days a week anymore. Able to have a life and enjoy my family. You don't need a new crew if you have 1 guy with you now just put him in the second van. 90% of jobs can be done by 1 guy. Worked for me.

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
If you are booked till late October you are doing great and need to get another machine running.
I do air duct, window, carpet and tile and grout out of 1 van. I'm looking at about 80k to put another on the road. I work from home and my wife would kill me to have another van in the driveway so I would need a larger place or a shop. Then hire a couple people. I don't trust anyone to do the quality of work I expect. And winter here the biz comes to a dead end.

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
I was in the same boat. I made sure I got my repeat customers in. Worked Sunday's for awhile. Didn't want to loose repeat money. I did add a second van eventually took a big load off able to do more jobs big jobs faster. Plus not slammed 7 days a week anymore. Able to have a life and enjoy my family. You don't need a new crew if you have 1 guy with you now just put him in the second van. 90% of jobs can be done by 1 guy. Worked for me.
I'm thinking next year I'll have to do something like that. I do love it when my customers use someone else and then have me back after them and tell me how terrible of a job they did. In my head I'm saying "you should have waaited"

Keith Kool Shannon

Dec 9, 2011
WA
Real Name
Keith Shannon
Business Location
United States
2-3 weeks feels the most comfortable for me to book out. Longer then that I feel the cancelation rate is higher when confirming jobs.

Getting emails and adding them to my google calendar seems to help with that.

Reactions: Sterling

tres

Mar 3, 2015
Real Name
tres davis
Put a setup out there for just carpet/tile and swap duct/window stuff out as needed. You will have to hustle but you can have someone cranking out the easy jobs and then come behind and finish the multi jobs with the complete truck
Only way to grow is trust and train other people to do good work. Otherwise just charge more and weed out some customers

Reactions: Harry Mullett

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
Put a setup out there for just carpet/tile and swap duct/window stuff out as needed. You will have to hustle but you can have someone cranking out the easy jobs and then come behind and finish the multi jobs with the complete truck
Only way to grow is trust and train other people to do good work. Otherwise just charge more and weed out some customers
My biggest problem is I started out as the cheaper guy. Now I've got an avalanche of penny pinchers trying to book an appointment. I can still make a good living from them but trying to sub it out or hire a good quality cleaner, I wouldn't make very much. Not worth the risk.

astrikingimage

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2010
NM
Real Name
Jose Salazar
Business Location
United States
Raise your prices and start weeding out the cheap non-loyal customers.

Reactions: DavidB and tres

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Raise your prices is the song on here a lot but it bites you sometimes too.
I would stick to a higher minimum for new custys.
Book farther out for new customers.
Sell the leads for new customers to someone that you trust in your area.

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
Sounds like a good problem to have.
Raise your prices is the song on here a lot but it bites you sometimes too.
I would stick to a higher minimum for new custys.
Book farther out for new customers.
Sell the leads for new customers to someone that you trust in your area.
Yeah. The time has come I guess. I have to slow things down a bit. What better way than to raise my prices. I'll have to make that transition from the cheap guy to what I really deserve and can get. If I lose a few cheap asses, I won't cry too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
could you run another van that was only outfitted for one type of service you offer?
That would be ideal if I had enough work for 2 crews. I would like to have a nice big TM, hose real, waste and water tank and not have to pull a thousand things out of the van to do a job. But setting up camp and doing the windows, ducts and carpets at one house out of one van is nice. As you can see, things are pretty tight. There is a prowler and air compressor back there also.
image.jpg