How does everyone feel about Wand Sliders/Gliders??

JerseyRock12

Sep 11, 2015
New Jersey
Real Name
Mike Rockefeller
Business Location
United States
Hey guys this is my first posting on TM forums, been following the threads for a while now and it's become something I check and read daily!! Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to give opinion.......So before buying my van and truckmount the company I previously worked for had a policy against using gliders. We were told the loss of suction was too much to warrant using them.
Seemed reasonable until I purchased my equipment a few months ago which included wand with glider and realized how much of a difference it made!!
But going back to what I was originally taught I took it off the other day and my vacuum suction seemed to increase noticeably.
What's your opinion on gliders and how many of you guys use them or don't?? Thanks!!

Reactions: ronman

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Hey guys this is my first posting on TM forums, been following the threads for a while now and it's become something I check and read daily!! Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to give opinion.......So before buying my van and truckmount the company I previously worked for had a policy against using gliders. We were told the loss of suction was too much to warrant using them.
Seemed reasonable until I purchased my equipment a few months ago which included wand with glider and realized how much of a difference it made!!
But going back to what I was originally taught I took it off the other day and my vacuum suction seemed to increase noticeably.
What's your opinion on gliders and how many of you guys use them or don't?? Thanks!!

I roll with a DevPro and run a 36 blower...I get 6 hr dry times...one wet pass one dry pass most times...more if its a nasty carpet...never will I ever go without a glide on any wand.

SunnyDays Carpet Cleaning

Aug 23, 2014
Real Name
David Dubois
Welcome to the fun house, I been using gliders for the last year. I didn't notice a big difference at first, yesterday I broke out my old wand for the first time, since getting my PMF Ti wand. It was like pushing a wand with a bowling ball on the end.

JerseyRock12

Sep 11, 2015
New Jersey
Real Name
Mike Rockefeller
Business Location
United States
Lol Yeah the first time I used my glider I couldn't believe that I had done every job in the past without one!! We used Kubota TMs where I previously worked and I always thought they were good machines.
Only when I fired up my Prochem performer for the first time It felt like the wand was attached to the floor lol......nite and day from my previous experience!! I did a small job today with it on the whole time, I think the slider made such a difference that in my head it seemed tas if it was almost too easy!!!

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath

I noticed this when I used a wand without a glide too.. heaps more suction to the face of the carpet. I bought an evo wand of late that has a glide, and it has no way near as much suction. So I drilled 8 quarter inch holes evenly spaced through the glide slots. The difference is not huge but defiantly is noticeable. So, best of both worlds to some extent. Better suction, and still got the glide for easy wand strokes. I just wonder why no one has designed a glide that has a wider inlet... Rob? lol

Last edited:

henryHalliday

Oct 9, 2010
England
Real Name
henry halliday
Business Location
United States
Resistance across a carpet is not really a measure of vacuum, just because a wand moves across a carpet with ease with a glide compared to a non glided wand does not mean it has less vacuum

Its like me saying 'when I use my wand against the carpet pile I have a lot more vacuum'. ....because the wand is a lot hard to push

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Ive used all three scenarios...
1. No glide: my dry times are great, it's a good workout, and i can cheat and not prevac if it's not trashed carpet.
2. Single lip glide: my favorite of the three. It u s more forgiving than no glide, and it still picks up the bigger stuff. Plus, it extracts just as well as no glide, and it's only about $30
3. Full lip glide: i used it for over a year, and even though my dry times were good, and my arm wasn't wore out...i prefer not to use it. Because i was constantly bending over to pick up bigger stuff, and it doesn't extract as well as the single lip glide.

Reactions: Jose Holguin

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Ive used all three scenarios...
1. No glide: my dry times are great, it's a good workout, and i can cheat and not prevac if it's not trashed carpet.
2. Single lip glide: my favorite of the three. It u s more forgiving than no glide, and it still picks up the bigger stuff. Plus, it extracts just as well as no glide, and it's only about $30
3. Full lip glide: i used it for over a year, and even though my dry times were good, and my arm wasn't wore out...i prefer not to use it. Because i was constantly bending over to pick up bigger stuff, and it doesn't extract as well as the single lip glide.

I was screwing around last week and made my hybrid glide, a full single slot glide, best of both worlds. Still picks up debris, locks in to the carpet a bit more but not too much to where you can't move the wand.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1447042887.227718.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of the after, it's trashed now cause I fuked it up when I was cutting it with my saw zall.

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
View attachment 55744

Forgot to take a pic of the after, it's trashed now cause I fuked it up when I was cutting it with my saw zall.
LOL!.... I hear ya. I was a bit nervous when I was drilling quarter inch holes in my slots. Looks pretty ruff now, but has the desired affect. Better agitation on the carpet also... :sick: lol. Still gotta file the metal behind the glide down a bit more too.

Attachments

• 20151109_145936.jpg
    20151109_145936.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
LOL!.... I hear ya. I was a bit nervous when I was drilling quarter inch holes in my slots. Looks pretty ruff now, but has the desired affect. Better agitation on the carpet also... :sick: lol.

I would've done a clean job on it but I rushed it since I was in the middle of a 12k sqft job. Should have used my jig saw, not the sawzall. Oh well, have to get a new one now...

Why did you drill those?

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
I would've done a clean job on it but I rushed it since I was in the middle of a 12k sqft job. Should have used my jig saw, not the sawzall. Oh well, have to get a new one now...

Why did you drill those?

Better airflow, lift, and dry times I was hoping for... Though, don't take my word that this modification will bring about these results lol.

Yeah, at least you can buy a slotted glide now. Looks like your previous glide had seen alotta carpet.

Last edited:

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
What about edges?
An old timer I know won't use a glide because you cant get close in on edges.
Looking back, he's right, since I got a glide, I have to do a lot of hand work with a grout brush on some jobs with crappy edges.
I never put the two together till he said that, I can't get close enough to the edge because of the glide.
I just went from porty to tm, and the wand weighs twice as much and is a bear to push, so I'm looking for solutions.

Reactions: Spooney

Spooney

Jun 17, 2015
Real Name
Benn Heath
What about edges?
An old timer I know won't use a glide because you cant get close in on edges.
Looking back, he's right, since I got a glide, I have to do a lot of hand work with a grout brush on some jobs with crappy edges.
I never put the two together till he said that, I can't get close enough to the edge because of the glide.
I just went from porty to tm, and the wand weighs twice as much and is a bear to push, so I'm looking for solutions.
Really? Does it feel like the wand is twice as heavy, because of the extra suction that the truckmount has?

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Really? Does it feel like the wand is twice as heavy, because of the extra suction that the truckmount has?
No Spooney, it's much heavier to pick up or carry.
Twice may be an exaggeration, but its way heavier than my porty wand, and my porty wand has greenglides too, which make a huge difference in resistance.