How do you price cleaning steps?

henryHalliday

Oct 9, 2010
England
Real Name
henry halliday
Business Location
United States
I tend to compare it to another area I'm cleaning, if I think it will take as long to clean as say 2 bedrooms then I price it the same as I would that area.

I never seem to clean stairs by themselves so will just tell the customer...... "it will be x amount to clean the living area" then say "the stairs will take the same amount of time so that will be the same"

Reactions: rob allen

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I just increased my price to $50/stairway (15-20 steps). It takes the same amount of time to clean a large bedroom with twice the backpain. It it's over 20steps...I increase it to $75.

I started charging $2step, then increased to $3 step, then increased to $50/stairway. I regret not starting out that way.

If it's just a few steps, I'll just charge 10-20 bucks. When there's just 3-5 steps, I don't even change wands on those, so it doesn't take much more time to do those.

Do you charge per step? $50 up to 10 steps? $50 regardless of how many steps? etc, etc, etc
Chuck
I price them according to each step anywhere from two to four dollars each(extra long ones). Normally between two and three and four to six dollars for landings. That's how I've always priced them and have never had any resistance or issues because I'm fair. I won't charge 4 dollars for short steps, If it's just one or two steps leading to a room I won't even charge I just include it in the room charge.
http://www.wilmingtoncarpetcare.com

VERITAS4

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
www.safecarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Art Arreguin
Business Location
United States
$2 step plus $5 for landings. If it's larger I'll go up to $4 a step. More detail work is required in my opinion.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Or you could clean the nose with one of these. View attachment 28633
I just don't see a need for one of those. That's just another tool that you have to disconnect, reconnect to get the job done. If you hold the trigger on your stair tool while doing the riser and the step a little farther than the bull nose, it will use enough water for you to hold the vacuum and do a dry sweep over the bull nose, which will do just as good a job as that tool will do.