How do you know when to use what tool?

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Kind of inline with what your saying in my very early experience cleaning carpet I feel largely that the chems are doing most of the work. Its crazy to see them go on and the carpet start to look better already. Of course, we perform a lot of labor after the chems but to me they are doing most of the cleaning.

Maybe some others feel this way as well..
Let the chems do the heavy lifting. Enzyme presprays are my favorite. Lay it on heavy so it stays damp for about 20 minutes, then go at it. Grease isn't even close to a challenge if your chems are on par.

Then I think every carpet cleaner has their own secret mix of "carpet nuke" when the customer doesn't care about anything and it's a "good results or we replace it anyway" kind of job.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Let the chems do the heavy lifting. Enzyme presprays are my favorite. Lay it on heavy so it stays damp for about 20 minutes, then go at it. Grease isn't even close to a challenge if your chems are on par.

Then I think every carpet cleaner has their own secret mix of "carpet nuke" when the customer doesn't care about anything and it's a "good results or we replace it anyway" kind of job.
I think I have only used TMF stuff so far and I feel it all has done the heavy lifting so far for sure.

Being new and all I’m left believing TMF chemistry is as good as the best if not the best so guess I’ll stay with them..
I admit sometimes I think I’m putting it down too heavy, at least compared to a video rob has where he advises not to over spray.. but I can’t bring myself to go really light because I would really dislike having to go back, treat again, and clean again.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Well let's put it this way, the 360i will probably "flush" the carpet better than a regular wand will. I highly doubt its pulling anything out of the pad except for capillary action. But the difference is you're getting continuous suction passes over that piece of carpet vs a wand dry stroking once or twice.
I mean vs a water claw, after several slow 360 dry passes I have never been able to pull any more moisture with a water claw after.

This is after flooding the pad on urine jobs.

Imo using a 360 slower with double dry pass is a lot faster than going square by square with a waterclaw

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Yes u can use more and stronger chems to get away with no CRB, and just wand the carpet..

But the idea is minimal moisture in the customers home.

When you CRB+wand u can keep pre spray very minimal and also you dont need so many gallons of water when u rinse, a lot of times triggering on back stroke only is plenty.

Vs heavy pre spray soaking the carpet then double triggering your cutting hours off of dry times

Reactions: Select

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
RE's clean the fiber from all sides while pulling apart the nap or laying it over on itself or various combinations of that. Generally most people wand in 2 directions only towards the exit point of the room. Better wanding is done in 4 or more directions in heavily soiled areas for premium results, just like vacuuming heavily soiled areas. Wands can achieve fantastic results on the order of powered tools when needed if you attack it right and let the stitch of the carpet work for you.
East-West-North-South theory great for those heavily soiled areas. SMH ..Been years since I heard this . Figures it would be JIm D. LOL
If most or all of the carpet is trashed we pull out the 360i with the brush head. Combo of brush , flow and good lift removes a truckload of moisture and filth.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I mean vs a water claw, after several slow 360 dry passes I have never been able to pull any more moisture with a water claw after.

This is after flooding the pad on urine jobs.

Imo using a 360 slower with double dry pass is a lot faster than going square by square with a waterclaw
Pretty insightful. IMO you are stating what you said initially another way here. I find it very interesting and defiantly making the case for a rotary. especially on trashed floors and urine situations if you are flushing.

Reactions: ACP

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Yes u can use more and stronger chems to get away with no CRB, and just wand the carpet..

When you CRB+wand u can keep pre spray very minimal and also you dont need so many gallons of water when u rinse, a lot of times triggering on back stroke only is plenty.

Vs heavy pre spray soaking the carpet then double triggering your cutting hours off of dry times
Nice. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of jobs on Monday so maybe I ll get the chance to put down pre spray a bit lighter since I do use a CRB as part of my process and maybe even rinse a little less with my wand as you say.

*I actually changed the dry times on my web site pricing packages and on the invoice because a house I did last week was 'damp' the next morning. I really hit it hard with spray and with the rinse and no power for fans or air movers so I think that was all part of it but I'm realizing that I don't want to be promising things I might not always be delivering.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States

Do you (anybody) think hot/warm prespray makes a significant difference? I ask because my inline sprayer requires I start the generator and all the equipment then run the wand to get hot water flowing, then switch to sprayer to mix up the juice. Then spray. Then shut everything off while its dwelling and agitating before firing it all back up again.

So I really ask because if I mix my juice in say a pump sprayer and I want to keep it all outside (hose bib) as not to fill a pump sprayer at a customers sink (perception) do you think I would be lessening the effectiveness at all?

That was pretty long winded but if you can tell I am looking to shortcut that process especially on smaller jobs by mixing small batch in pump up and spraying that way. That process is good for getting steps in LOL but bad for cleaning times!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Mixing the chems in a small amount warm water and adding them to a pump up full of cold water will not detract from their effectiveness. Lightly prespraying with a hydroforce with hot water doesn't add much if any heat to the fiber, time along with chemical concentration level for the job at hand is more important at this stage.

I use various amounts of coated percarbonate on virtually every carpet job and it requires hot water for quick solubility, my actual prespray dissolves easily in cold water. Check your stuff with cold tap water and see how it goes, does it dissolve quick? If it does your good to go.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Mixing the chems in a small amount warm water and adding them to a pump up full of cold water will not detract from their effectiveness. Lightly prespraying with a hydroforce with hot water doesn't add much if any heat to the fiber, time along with chemical concentration level for the job at hand is more important at this stage.

I use various amounts of coated percarbonate on virtually every carpet job and it requires hot water for quick solubility, my actual prespray dissolves easily in cold water. Check your stuff with cold tap water and see how it goes, does it dissolve quick? If it does your good to go.
Might have to start doing smaller jobs out of a pump up to save time - thanks Jim!

Reactions: Jim Davisson

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Do you (anybody) think hot/warm prespray makes a significant difference? I ask because my inline sprayer requires I start the generator and all the equipment then run the wand to get hot water flowing, then switch to sprayer to mix up the juice. Then spray. Then shut everything off while its dwelling and agitating before firing it all back up again.

So I really ask because if I mix my juice in say a pump sprayer and I want to keep it all outside (hose bib) as not to fill a pump sprayer at a customers sink (perception) do you think I would be lessening the effectiveness at all?

That was pretty long winded but if you can tell I am looking to shortcut that process especially on smaller jobs by mixing small batch in pump up and spraying that way. That process is good for getting steps in LOL but bad for cleaning times!
dont pre spray hot, just mix inline sprayer with warm water when using powders.

definitely TM or other heater off when spraying.

we prefer to minimize the invasion on the customer as much as possible so avoiding their sinks etc

Reactions: J20770

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
dont pre spray hot, just mix inline sprayer with warm water when using powders.

definitely TM or other heater off when spraying.

we prefer to minimize the invasion on the customer as much as possible so avoiding their sinks etc
Ok so couple questions if you don't mind.

Why not mix pre spray hot? Why mix inline sprayer with warm water when using powders? And, if we are not invading customers sinks how might you suggest getting warm water for mixing pre spray? (Actually, I do turn the dial on the diesel heater to about half way vs full way when im extracting but god only god knows what temperature that might be at that point because I don't)

And, I definitely been having my diesel heater on when spraying pre spray! And I assume the same applies to a pump up sprayer if I start going that route.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Ok so couple questions if you don't mind.

Why not mix pre spray hot? Why mix inline sprayer with warm water when using powders? And, if we are not invading customers sinks how might you suggest getting warm water for mixing pre spray? (Actually, I do turn the dial on the diesel heater to about half way vs full way when im extracting but god only god knows what temperature that might be at that point because I don't)

And, I definitely been having my diesel heater on when spraying pre spray! And I assume the same applies to a pump up sprayer if I start going that route.
I meant dont pre spray with heater on, your out too much chem in the air vs in the carprt where u want it

I always mix in the jug hot/warm

Reactions: J20770

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I meant dont pre spray with heater on, your out too much chem in the air vs in the carprt where u want it

I always mix in the jug hot/warm
Ok thank you sir I appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: ACP