How do you keep your employees motivated? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How do you keep your employees motivated?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Employees are getting harder to find and harder to keep happy lately with the pandemic. Any suggestions of how to keep employees motivated?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Just let them know the beatings will continue until moral improves lol.
In all seriousness i just try not to treat them as employees, 1st thing i tell my employees is dont make me be your boss you wont like it. I try to make them know they matter and they're a part of something bigger than me or them, we help people every day and that matters

SkylinePrints

Nov 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Real Name
Nathan
Business Location
United States
Family. Build a family unit with your workers. easier said than done but as @SRD said, the more your employees are involved with the overall business and a sense of ownership, the better work and loyalty will come. Show you care about your employees.

ideas:
  • team meetings where positive jobs and employee achievements can be discussed.
  • Acknowledge someone for going over and above expectations
  • Read positive feedback received from your customers
  • Team building activities
  • holiday parties
  • acknowledge and celebrate birthdays including spouses and kids. get to know their names and who they are. show an interest.
  • I'll stop here but this list could go on and on. Be simple and creative. What it is doesn't matter. It's the action that matters.
A lot of the above used to be done by companies who were large and small. it built the family atmosphere. We as a nation have turned more toward get it done fast and the employee has been forgotten. (this is not absolute but I would say most companies are like this now)

It's not easy though. It's hard sometimes for us to take the time to stop and remember, we as owners, are the leaders of the family. We need to take the time to show appreciation and acknowledge the work each person is putting into the company. It is much easier for us to get wrapped up in the day-to-day "gotta get it done" mentality which will lead to burnout... lack of motivation... lack of caring... "gotta get it done" is like going to the whip. go too far and it loses the effect.

Reactions: rob allen

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Also respect the work/life balance. I know y'all say us "young people" don't work hard enough. But truth is, y'all didn't work 80 hours a week either when you were in your 20's and 30's.

Also those old enough to remember, you didn't NEED a car when you were 18, or a phone, or internet, etc etc in order to have a job. You pretty much HAVE TO HAVE all of these things now before even having a job.

Employers today mostly pass the risk onto employees. Very little to no benefits. Vacation time has mostly disappeared. Sick time is very little and you're punished for using it.

I'm 34, so I've watched these changes happen over the past 18 years I've been in the work force. Biggest reason I formed my own company is how much bullshit it is to work for other people. Can't even count the number of bosses I had who called me lazy, dumb, etc while their fat asses sat on the sidelines eating chicken wings or just simply not even being at work while driving their $70,000 mercedes and taking trips to Costa Rica for a month at a time (all true stories)

Sometimes us young people get jaded, real jaded, and it's not that we don't want to work hard, we don't want to work hard to simply line YOUR pocket.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
Also respect the work/life balance. I know y'all say us "young people" don't work hard enough. But truth is, y'all didn't work 80 hours a week either when you were in your 20's and 30's.

Also those old enough to remember, you didn't NEED a car when you were 18, or a phone, or internet, etc etc in order to have a job. You pretty much HAVE TO HAVE all of these things now before even having a job.

Employers today mostly pass the risk onto employees. Very little to no benefits. Vacation time has mostly disappeared. Sick time is very little and you're punished for using it.

I'm 34, so I've watched these changes happen over the past 18 years I've been in the work force. Biggest reason I formed my own company is how much bullshit it is to work for other people. Can't even count the number of bosses I had who called me lazy, dumb, etc while their fat asses sat on the sidelines eating chicken wings or just simply not even being at work while driving their $70,000 mercedes and taking trips to Costa Rica for a month at a time (all true stories)

Sometimes us young people get jaded, real jaded, and it's not that we don't want to work hard, we don't want to work hard to simply line YOUR pocket.

But you’re old

• Haha
Reactions: SRD

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States

What holds true for everyone is getting recognition and a sense or appreciation. Cash money helps too.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Lol I guess I'm getting old. I think my experience is a bit unique because being born in 1986 I sort of lived in that transition period between the old world and the new technological one.

My father was also born in 1933, so he had that real old school mentality (but to be honest thinking back he didn't work as hard as he claimed!).

The world is different now; just time to admit it. Nobody works hard for the sake of working hard. We work hard for the rewards. So if you are sending a guy out there to do $800 in carpet cleaning for the day and he's only getting $12 an hour - what exactly should he work hard for? The PROMISE of better pay? I say bullshit, give him the better pay and if he squanders it, fire him and find the guy who will respect/values what you're doing for him.

Would a farmers ancestors from the 1800s say his great grand children are lazy because they push a button on a tractor that can do more work in an hour than he could do all month?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Lol I guess I'm getting old. I think my experience is a bit unique because being born in 1986 I sort of lived in that transition period between the old world and the new technological one.

My father was also born in 1933, so he had that real old school mentality (but to be honest thinking back he didn't work as hard as he claimed!).

The world is different now; just time to admit it. Nobody works hard for the sake of working hard. We work hard for the rewards. So if you are sending a guy out there to do $800 in carpet cleaning for the day and he's only getting $12 an hour - what exactly should he work hard for? The PROMISE of better pay? I say bullshit, give him the better pay and if he squanders it, fire him and find the guy who will respect/values what you're doing for him.

Would a farmers ancestors from the 1800s say his great grand children are lazy because they push a button on a tractor that can do more work in an hour than he could do all month?
But honestly at what point does it stop or how much is enough? I mean they're paid to clean carpet and be nice to our clients ive had employees tell me i should give them half of what they do all the while not realizing or thinking about what it cost for him to be able to do that work. Ive had employees tell me they do more than i do, all the while not realizing or understanding the whole reason they have a job and are being paid well is because of what i do or have done. Comes a point when that labor is worth a certain agreed upon amount regardless of what the gross is.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
But honestly at what point does it stop or how much is enough? I mean they're paid to clean carpet and be nice to our clients ive had employees tell me i should give them half of what they do all the while not realizing or thinking about what it cost for him to be able to do that work. Ive had employees tell me they do more than i do, all the while not realizing or understanding the whole reason they have a job and are being paid well is because of what i do or have done. Comes a point when that labor is worth a certain agreed upon amount regardless of what the gross is.
Depends on many factors. I'm not saying give away the farm, but so many employers want to start employees at the lowest possible amount and then expect them to work their ass to the bone for scraps.

It also depends on your business model. The reverse question should also be asked- at what point is enough for the owner ? If you keep your equipment updated, employees are well trained and kept on the cutting edge, then that's a great thing.

If you're like Stanley steemer paying 12% commission and expecting a $1,000 from the employee on every single route then I think that's crazy.

Like most things in life it needs balance.

I just get tired of hearing guys say "I can't find good employees" and usually they are paying a crap wage.

I'm super small still and I pay my employee about $20 an hour on average plus benefits plus tips. He has zero complaints, shows up on time, keeps my equipment well maintained, gets customer Google reviews.

Labor wise he's costing me a higher % than I had anticipated but the intangibles more than make up for it.

Reactions: SRD

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Depends on many factors. I'm not saying give away the farm, but so many employers want to start employees at the lowest possible amount and then expect them to work their ass to the bone for scraps.

It also depends on your business model. The reverse question should also be asked- at what point is enough for the owner ? If you keep your equipment updated, employees are well trained and kept on the cutting edge, then that's a great thing.

If you're like Stanley steemer paying 12% commission and expecting a $1,000 from the employee on every single route then I think that's crazy.

I just get tired of hearing guys say "I can't find good employees" and usually they are paying a crap wage.

I'm super small still and I pay my employee about $20 an hour on average plus benefits plus tips. He has zero complaints, shows up on time, keeps my equipment well maintained, gets customer Google reviews.

Labor wise he's costing me a higher % than I had anticipated but the intangibles more than make up for it.

Benefits...bam. that's a big one IMO. McDonalds pays $15/hour now in PA. Wow. Business must be grown to a point that can support; workers comp., benefits, and $20/hour wage.

@OxiFreshGuy Is that including drive time?

Also, how much revenue for a biz to be able to support that ^ for owner and 1 employee in your experience?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I pay him a guaranteed $150 a day, after he completed $2,000 in work for the week he gets 30% of every dollar after that , the way I see it, we are profitable at $2,000 so I'm essentially profit sharing at that point.

We currently average about $25,000 a month in gross revenue. We aren't fulfilling the potential of both trucks yet though.

scrubb3d_Ed

Mar 22, 2021
Real Name
Ernest Wood
Employees are getting harder to find and harder to keep happy lately with the pandemic. Any suggestions of how to keep employees motivated?
Treat them kindly and always tell them the truth about the current situation. Oh, and always be positive. They need to feel how important they really are.

scrubb3d_Ed

Mar 22, 2021
Real Name
Ernest Wood
Just let them know the beatings will continue until moral improves lol.
In all seriousness i just try not to treat them as employees, 1st thing i tell my employees is dont make me be your boss you wont like it. I try to make them know they matter and they're a part of something bigger than me or them, we help people every day and that matters
This is a really interesting approach. I think that the key in this point is to make them feel good and positive, considering the difficult situation they are living with the COVID pandemic.

Tiger Fan

Aug 15, 2018
Real Name
Jeri Jeffries

I pay mine 25% of his van. Gives him a sense of ownership and puts him in control of his earnings. My customers love him and he does an amazing job. I share when a customer calls and gives positive feed back. If they have left a voicemail. I make sure to play it for him so he can hear it first hand. Paying a percentage of what the van does in revenue, lets me have control over my labor costs too.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I pay mine 25% of his van. Gives him a sense of ownership and puts him in control of his earnings. My customers love him and he does an amazing job. I share when a customer calls and gives positive feed back. If they have left a voicemail. I make sure to play it for him so he can hear it first hand. Paying a percentage of what the van does in revenue, lets me have control over my labor costs too.

I’m a big believer in paying by % also.

Reactions: SkylinePrints

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
I’d genuinely remind them that you appreciate them and that their hard work helps everyone’s families eat. I think it’s better than donuts gift cards pizza parties. A nice bump in pay should be the standard especially if you know for a fact they cannot be replaced.