How do you handle dog urine in pad on 2nd floor?

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I am trying to get better at my urine odor removal. I don't get calls for it often in my area. But today I had a job with LOTS of dog urine in a bedroom upstairs. I had some pet zone, so I mixed a gallon of it up and tried to carefully spread it around. I moved it around a bit with the wand. I was getting kind of concerned that maybe it could soak through the carpet, pad, and subfloor, and go downstairs. I probably didn't use quite enough because the odor still remained after letting it soak for 30 minutes. Any suggestions on a different product or a different method to use upstairs?

I also wouldn't mind to hear general recommendations for urine odor removal. I wouldn't mind finding a product that has a scent to it so it can help mask or eliminate the odors.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Replace the padding, treat the subfloor and clean carpet. You can place plastic sheathing under the padding and carpet and saturate the area like normal and do subsurface extraction.

One of the first saturation/subsurface extraction urine jobs I did was on the second floor. It didn't dawn on me that the solution would work it's way down to the first floor.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Replace the padding, treat the subfloor and clean carpet. You can place plastic sheathing under the padding and carpet and saturate the area like normal and do subsurface extraction.

One of the first saturation/subsurface extraction urine jobs I did was on the second floor. It didn't dawn on me that the solution would work it's way down to the first floor.
I agree with all that except 2nd suggestion of leaving pad. At that point it may as well just be replaced. If i remember the op doesnt repair or install. So he would be ripping out pad, sealing subfloor, cleaning carpet then having his installer return next day (if area is large) to reinstall it. Ive done this for cleaners in the past. Both piss carpet and after water heater blow outs. They would do their prep cleaning and treatments. Then theyd calll me to reinstall. I bring the new pad. Often they call me with the size before beginning so they know what to charge. Regulars knew what we cost on average and estimated high to cover their butts.

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Urine can be tricky especially if you aren't made aware of other urine stains....my personal opinion is theres never "just one stain" and unless you neutralize all of the urine you will continue to have the off gassing smell. I have found that thorough explanation of this will decide your method for you. Urine treatment will always be determined by your customers willingness and ability to pay...for instance you might suggest a topical odorcide added to your prespray, being upfront and letting customer know that it will neutralize topical contaminants but nothing deeper. You can also boost with a peroxide booster for added organic breakdown. If they want you to target a certain area the sub surface method "pet zone" and water claw works good just remember you must "recreate" the stain. Again be very transparent with the customer, your still treating the stain from the top down and let them know that if they want to be sure the urine is treated pulling back carpet and cutting pad/treating sub floor is necessary. I almost never have anyone opt for option 3 because of expense. Usually people are satisfied with 1 and to be honest as soon as you leave the cat/dog will probably piss on the floor again. Hope this helps.