How do you guys or gals treat your employees?

Kevin’s ain’t

Jul 4, 2020
Real Name
Kevin
Okay so I was curious about how you business owners pay your employees and if it is comparable to how I was treated for the past 10 years. So, here’s where I am at. I’ve worked for a local company for 10 years. I started at 17yrs old and I’m 27 now. I stayed with this company for so long because I genuinely enjoy the work. It makes the quality of my life better knowing everyday is a different experience. And I’m beyond grateful to have found a job like that. Here’s a little background about myself. I’m active, don’t smoke, don’t do any sort of drugs, early to work everyday, called in one time in 10 years because of the flu, and can do literally any job that comes my way. Water damage, carpets, tile, wood, you name it, I have it covered with no help. I was mostly by myself running out of a van with the Titan 575. I quit with my max hourly pay at 17$ per hour. My income each year was around 28,000$ There were no benefits, raises were always months late, no vacation time, no sick time, no overtime pay, had to work weekends, 1 bonus around 500$ on Christmas, and I worked anywhere between 35-50 hours a week. Less in the winter of course. Is this just what techs get paid? I felt as if my dedication to the business, reliability, skill, and exceptional customer service was worth more. I kept the van SPOTLESS, treated the equipment like I owned it and still. There was no moving up in the business so i had to leave. Out of respect I’m operating in a different city that I’m moving to but i was curious what you guys or gals think about this.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
That’s about what I made as a tech. I usually made 25-30k per year. I worked on commission only being paid 20-25%. I worked for the company for 17 years before starting my own business. Leaving and starting my own business was the best thing I ever did.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
No, it's not worth 25-30k a year. Most business owners are greedy assholes who are exploiting the worker in order to make life easier for themselves. Ever notice the owner owns a 4,000 sq ft house, drives a Mercedes, goes to Costa Rica for 2 months a year; yet can't "afford" to give you a raise or benefits?

So why do they do this? Because they can. Because of the Golden rule, he with the Gold makes the rules. They will brainwash you every way imaginable that YOU are the problem, that YOU are stupid, that YOU are lazy, and that YOU can't do better.

Do the math on this. Truckmounts operate at roughly $200-$300 an hour. You work 50 hours in a week. Let's assume the truckmount ran for 25 of those 50 hours at $200 an hour.

$5,000 in work was done that week. Here's what the average breakdown of that $5,000 looks like:

Insurance: $320 a month (covers Auto and business assuming a ONE truck operation)
Vehicle Payment: $1,000 a month
Gas 5% Operating Cost: $250
Chemicals: $150
Shop Payment: $500 a month
Marketing: 20% of sales: $1,000

So far we are at $2,900 in expenses. Toss in some money for website, phones etc. Roughly the cost of a ONE TRUCK operation is $5,000 a month. After $5,000 it is mostly profit.

Now, you hire a technician making $30,000 a year. With payroll tax, social security etc he ends up costing you $35,000 a year or about $673 a week.

But he is able to pump out $3-$5,000 a week in sales.

So really, once the first 10 days of work are done in a month, all those expenses plus the technicians wages are done and paid for. 20 days of profit.

Granted there are feast/famine times as well.

If the owner simply gave you ONE day of those profits as a raise, you would make an extra $6,000 a year.

A good technician should bring in $40-$50,000 a year. Possibly more if they have more skills. Also market dependent, East Coast is going to pay different than the Midwest.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Okay so I was curious about how you business owners pay your employees and if it is comparable to how I was treated for the past 10 years. So, here’s where I am at. I’ve worked for a local company for 10 years. I started at 17yrs old and I’m 27 now. I stayed with this company for so long because I genuinely enjoy the work. It makes the quality of my life better knowing everyday is a different experience. And I’m beyond grateful to have found a job like that. Here’s a little background about myself. I’m active, don’t smoke, don’t do any sort of drugs, early to work everyday, called in one time in 10 years because of the flu, and can do literally any job that comes my way. Water damage, carpets, tile, wood, you name it, I have it covered with no help. I was mostly by myself running out of a van with the Titan 575. I quit with my max hourly pay at 17$ per hour. My income each year was around 28,000$ There were no benefits, raises were always months late, no vacation time, no sick time, no overtime pay, had to work weekends, 1 bonus around 500$ on Christmas, and I worked anywhere between 35-50 hours a week. Less in the winter of course. Is this just what techs get paid? I felt as if my dedication to the business, reliability, skill, and exceptional customer service was worth more. I kept the van SPOTLESS, treated the equipment like I owned it and still. There was no moving up in the business so i had to leave. Out of respect I’m operating in a different city that I’m moving to but i was curious what you guys or gals think about this.

Depends where you’re at far as pay. Every demographic is different. It’s good to reward employees. You’ll also need to be realistic if they weren’t charging enough they’re not got to be able to pay decent wages

Kevin’s ain’t

Jul 4, 2020
Real Name
Kevin
No, it's not worth 25-30k a year. Most business owners are greedy assholes who are exploiting the worker in order to make life easier for themselves. Ever notice the owner owns a 4,000 sq ft house, drives a Mercedes, goes to Costa Rica for 2 months a year; yet can't "afford" to give you a raise or benefits?

So why do they do this? Because they can. Because of the Golden rule, he with the Gold makes the rules. They will brainwash you every way imaginable that YOU are the problem, that YOU are stupid, that YOU are lazy, and that YOU can't do better.

Do the math on this. Truckmounts operate at roughly $200-$300 an hour. You work 50 hours in a week. Let's assume the truckmount ran for 25 of those 50 hours at $200 an hour.

$5,000 in work was done that week. Here's what the average breakdown of that $5,000 looks like:

Insurance: $320 a month (covers Auto and business assuming a ONE truck operation)
Vehicle Payment: $1,000 a month
Gas 5% Operating Cost: $250
Chemicals: $150
Shop Payment: $500 a month
Marketing: 20% of sales: $1,000

So far we are at $2,900 in expenses. Toss in some money for website, phones etc. Roughly the cost of a ONE TRUCK operation is $5,000 a month. After $5,000 it is mostly profit.

Now, you hire a technician making $30,000 a year. With payroll tax, social security etc he ends up costing you $35,000 a year or about $673 a week.

But he is able to pump out $3-$5,000 a week in sales.

So really, once the first 10 days of work are done in a month, all those expenses plus the technicians wages are done and paid for. 20 days of profit.

Granted there are feast/famine times as well.

If the owner simply gave you ONE day of those profits as a raise, you would make an extra $6,000 a year.

A good technician should bring in $40-$50,000 a year. Possibly more if they have more skills. Also market dependent, East Coast is going to pay different than the Midwest.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I pay $20 an hour plus time and a half.
I pay at least $25 an hour on resto jobs.
This area is expensive and we are competing with high paying cannabis work

20/hr seems week for your cost of living Mike. My lead guy does almost that and it’s law we pay time and a half here. And I know our cost of living is way lower than yours.

How many hrs are your guys pulling every week?

Last week my guys collectively pulled 50hrs OT almost.

Kevin’s ain’t

Jul 4, 2020
Real Name
Kevin
That makes total sense. You would just think they would have taken Into consideration that I was a very good tech. Won’t it hurt them in the long run to hire a new tech, go through training, hope they don’t steal from the business, etc, etc. than pay more to
Keep a good tech around? Idk man it just doesn’t make sense. I swear if I ever hire a tech being that I’ve gone through this I would ensure they are set in all aspects of the business.

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
That makes total sense. You would just think they would have taken Into consideration that I was a very good tech. Won’t it hurt them in the long run to hire a new tech, go through training, hope they don’t steal from the business, etc, etc. than pay more to
Keep a good tech around? Idk man it just doesn’t make sense. I swear if I ever hire a tech being that I’ve gone through this I would ensure they are set in all aspects of the business.

Just exercise wisdom and kindness. If you’re not careful you’ll find yourself being taken advantage of.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States

They don't think like that. They become entitled, and you are a number to them, a means to an ends. You are replaceable is how they see it.

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
20/hr seems week for your cost of living Mike. My lead guy does almost that and it’s law we pay time and a half here. And I know our cost of living is way lower than yours.

How many hrs are your guys pulling every week?

Last week my guys collectively pulled 50hrs OT almost.
It's extremely weak.
My main guy right now is a 16 year old athlete.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
It's extremely weak.
My main guy right now is a 16 year old athlete.

Got it. So just part time?
The nice thing about young guys they don’t have much responsibility the bad thing is they don’t have much responsibility lol
I’ve dealt with some think they can party all week and still keep a job.

Not one as tough as the one we offer

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
Got it. So just part time?
The nice thing about young guys they don’t have much responsibility the bad thing is they don’t have much responsibility lol
I’ve dealt with some think they can party all week and still keep a job.

Not one as tough as the one we offer
I've had a ton of fighters over the years work for me.
So much of their time is trying to advance these selves in the sport,...they can't work full time