How do you get Elmer's glue out? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How do you get Elmer's glue out?

Robntina

Dec 11, 2014
Real Name
Robert Wadley
Here is a job that I am going to be working on this week. A bottle of glue tipped over on a table and the glue ran off the edge onto the carpet and made a good size little puddle on the carpet before it dried. It was discovered a week later.

Now I get to try and get it out.
Anybody have any ideas and/or experience on how to remove Elmer's glue from carpet?

20180530_192947.jpg

Reactions: Brian P.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’d go in prepared with a couple different things.

First I would mix 32 ounces of hot water and 2 ounces of Citrus Solv and dip a white towel in it. Take the saturated white towel and put it on the glue and leave it for an hour or even two. I’m guessing the glue will soften enough to HWE out.

If that doesn’t work you might try this, I saw this at the Home Depot last month.

911EBA76-F597-4A35-8972-C4841D4F13EA.jpeg

I’m guessing it won’t come to using the goof off but have it with you just in case. A WORD OF CAUTION: If the goof off will remove super glue it’s very possible it will dissolve the glue holding the carpet in place. I would try the goof off only as a last resort and at that don’t put it directly on the glue. Put it on a towel and dab the glue repeatedly. You could spend an hour dabbing at it. Be sure you have ventilation and plenty of fresh air.

I’m guessing the water and Citrus Solv will work.

I did notice on the SDS sheet that it says it’s not compatable with oxidizers so stay away from oxidizers.

BE5F652E-05D0-4C2C-BEAD-4224C48BC4B4.png

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
From the Interlink Supply Spot & Stain Removal App. If you don't have this you should download it. You can also get it from the Interlink Supply website.

I like to use the second option. Just keep the glue hot and damp for a few minutes and it will come out much easier.

Glue, Wood Glue, School Glue, Elmer's Glue and similar:
GLUE
Products Required
Procedures
  1. Apply Avenge Pro on and around stain
  2. Allow to dwell for 20 minutes
  3. Agitate
  4. Extract with HOT water
  5. Mist on Spot Stop, and brush in with a Whiz Groom
-OR-
  1. Apply Avenge Pro
  2. Cover area with a damp terry towel
  3. Apply steam heat from an iron for 1 or 2 minutes
  4. Apply more Avenge Pro to spot
  5. Agitate
  6. Extract with HOT water
  7. Mist on Spot Stop, and brush in with a Whiz Groom

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
The second option that scott posted is what I would do. I recently removed some glue spills using a steamer. Managed to remove almost all of it with the steamer and then used some Revive It spotter to clean out the rest.

Reactions: Scott W

Robntina

Dec 11, 2014
Real Name
Robert Wadley
Well, I was able to successfully remove the glue but it was not easy. I had a few things I could try but what ended up working best for me (that I had on hand) was Steam, Matrix Citrus Force ASD, and Pro's Choice Pro-Solve Gel. It still took awhile though, it was really thick. Steam made the biggest difference.

It looks really good right now.

Despite my best efforts to avoid doing so, there was no way to keep everything from getting down into the backing though, and the carpet is no longer glued down in about a three-inch circle. It is not noticeable unless you know to look for it. Any ideas for gluing it back down? Can I inject some glue in there? If so what do I need? what glue?

20180603_200515.jpg

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Well, I was able to successfully remove the glue but it was not easy. I had a few things I could try but what ended up working best for me (that I had on hand) was Steam, Matrix Citrus Force ASD, and Pro's Choice Pro-Solve Gel. It still took awhile though, it was really thick. Steam made the biggest difference.

Despite my best efforts to avoid doing so, there was no way to keep everything from getting down into the backing though, and the carpet is no longer glued down in about a three-inch circle. It is not noticeable unless you know to look for it. Any ideas for gluing it back down? Can I inject some glue in there? If so what do I need? what glue?
Are you sure it released from floor or did it it delaminate? Either way a carpet syringe is what ide use. Contact cement might be best as its more fluid. Just keep some paint thinner on a towel to wipe up dribble. And careful when pushing carpet down it can pop like a zit lol. Once you get it all good and flat and clean put a weight on it till it cures.
Normally i cut it. And get general purpose or seam sealer under there. But if you dont know what your doing you can wind up opening a can of worms.

Reactions: SRD
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States

View attachment 78150
Looks good, just don't use half a bottle of Elmer's glue trying to fix it

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Btw tip on using syringe. The tip it comes with you only get one and it breaks easy. So get an awl from hardware store. You can use it to punch hole in carpet for syringe to go in. This saves the tip from breaking.