How do you find your helpers?

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
I'm in a position where I really could use some part-time help, specifically with some large school district jobs over the summer, but I would also like to find a guy to begin grooming for a tech position when I reach a pivotal growth point and I'm ready to bring on a full time tech. So, how do you guys look for workers? Let's face it, the guys in my generation or below (35 and under) are about worthless. Nobody wants to work and they want to make a killing doing as little as possible. I want to pay well, at least for part time help, but only if they are going to earn it. And of course it's hard, even paying well by the hour, when you may only need a guy 10 hours a week one week, but then 40 the next.

For the record, I am owner/operator but I also work full time, so 90% of my appointments are evenings and weekends. I also have flexible hours and vacation and that's how I pick up the larger commercial jobs. I'd love to go full time but, quite frankly, I make too much money and the benefits are too good.(engineer at a global company)

I posted a job app on Facebook for janitorial folks and really struck out on good candidates, I had hoped to get a few that could step up to carpet cleaning that way.

Mr.Steamer

Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
I totally understand where you're coming from. I work a full time job, 6-2 M-F, then do jobs after work and the weekends. I have twin 3 year olds at home with the wife expecting as we speak and I'm trying to find someone that could start part time and work towards full time but it's just a pain trying to find someone worth their salt that's not a felon, has a clean driving record and doesn't do drugs! I work for my state so I also have benefits that are far too good to walk away from so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot...if you can figure a way out to find good people, please spread the word.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Um, two things come to mind. One thing my mother told me (she was a business owner too) "if they were as good as you they'd have your job." What you're looking for is your replacement. That is going to be hard to find.
Second thing, Keep your day job and find a helper not a business owner. What I mean is if you find someone that will/can work the hours you want and teach him enough to go out on his own he will just go out on his own. I say that to say this: find your helper where you work or places like where you work.

The perfect candidate will have a job that like yours will be too hard to quit because of all the same reasons you can't stop working there. He will need the extra money for all the same reasons you do. He will not have the same entrepreneurial spirit you do tho.

Oh and one other thing. Hire a helper as in hose puller not a technician. Then if he stays 4 months or more teach him how to start and run the truck but never teach him how to run the business. Never show him the checks either.

Reactions: Willerz707

Willerz707

Jun 21, 2017
Real Name
William Hardwick
I like to use Craigslist and a local employment agency.
We tell the candidate that his first two weeks are a working interview.
I like the idea of calling them a hose puller first, then their heads don't inflate and they have something to work for.

When I post my ads for help wanted, I have a link to an online application so I can sort through the trash.

Http://a1clean.net

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
Um, two things come to mind. One thing my mother told me (she was a business owner too) "if they were as good as you they'd have your job." What you're looking for is your replacement. That is going to be hard to find.
Second thing, Keep your day job and find a helper not a business owner. What I mean is if you find someone that will/can work the hours you want and teach him enough to go out on his own he will just go out on his own. I say that to say this: find your helper where you work or places like where you work.

The perfect candidate will have a job that like yours will be too hard to quit because of all the same reasons you can't stop working there. He will need the extra money for all the same reasons you do. He will not have the same entrepreneurial spirit you do tho.

Oh and one other thing. Hire a helper as in hose puller not a technician. Then if he stays 4 months or more teach him how to start and run the truck but never teach him how to run the business. Never show him the checks either.
Some good advice here that I agree with and want to make sure others see - I don't want to replace myself or help to train my future competition. I want a hose puller with a good enough attitude and work ethic to run a wand some as well. Hopefully someone without the business acumen to do it successfully on their own.

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
I like to use Craigslist and a local employment agency.
We tell the candidate that his first two weeks are a working interview.
I like the idea of calling them a hose puller first, then their heads don't inflate and they have something to work for.

When I post my ads for help wanted, I have a link to an online application so I can sort through the trash.

Http://a1clean.net

So when you do the two week trial - are you doing W2's and holding taxes on them or if they are done at 2 weeks do you just cash them out?
I'd thought about a similar 2 week or maybe 30 day "interview" plan but I didn't know if payroll hassle would be worth it

Willerz707

Jun 21, 2017
Real Name
William Hardwick
I cash them out. No w-2 as long as they are under a certain amount. I forget what the amount is, like $600 or something like that.