Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I'm new to the VLM method and I need some suggestions on washing my bonnets. What do you use to wash them with? What detergent or specialty products do you use? Thanks guys.

LightningCarpetCare

May 2, 2016
Real Name
Eli Rodriguez
I put mine with 1 ounce of bleach and 1 ounce of tide detergent and they clean pretty good.

Lightning Carpet Care LLC

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I think the biggest key is soaking them immediately after use to avoid perm staining. Then wash.

Heres a question, is drying in a dryer ok?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I never use a dryer. I don't want the bonnets to shrink.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I wash them in washer hot water with free clear laundry detergent. And extra rinse cycle. Dont know if it's necessary for the extra rinse. But looks like i still get some foam after the first rinse. Cotton blends i dry in dryer. The microfibers (with foam center) i line dry.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Bonnet Pro...........Do you recommend using a dryer or air dry with your bonnets?

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
Bonnet Pro...........Do you recommend using a dryer or air dry with your bonnets?
That would depend on the bonnet. The ProCotton for example I would run in the dryer to remove lint for one reason. Its ok to air dry them as long as you don't end up with a big pile of almost dry bonnets, especially on natural fiber.

Personally I run mine in the dryer for about 20 minutes.

carpettom

Dec 7, 2014
Riverside Calif.
Real Name
tom cervino
I don't want to sound like a smart ass. But I have a question. If you use a bonnet with an encapsulation shampoo and let the bonnet dry. Why can't you just vacuum the bonnet to clean it?

Sent from my XT907 using TMF Forums mobile app

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
That is a really good question. Similar to the reason I don't care for a fiber pad only carpet cleaning method. The polymer can only hold so much, it holds the nano particles not everything, that is why flushing all the soil to the bottom of the carpet with a fiber pad and shower feed is not a long term solution. Your question makes me stop and think a little to answer it. The suspended soils are being forced into the pad by mechanical pressure and by absorption along with the remainder of the cleaner and then begins to dry. By introducing a larger volume of hot water that has fresh activated detergents in it the soils forced into the bonnet start to de attach from the bonnets fibers. Hope that helps a little.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
That would depend on the bonnet. The ProCotton for example I would run in the dryer to remove lint for one reason. Its ok to air dry them as long as you don't end up with a big pile of almost dry bonnets, especially on natural fiber.

Personally I run mine in the dryer for about 20 minutes.
Hey John, I just received your IronMan bonnets, thanks!

Stupid question, in trying to use them with a 175 is there a driver/clutch plate you can recommend? Since these pads are thinner than the microfiber bonnets I usually use there's virtually no pressure being applied to the center of the IronMan bonnet. I tried using a regular floor pad inbetween that and the IronMan, but they just fly off of that.

I guess I need a driver/clutch plate with Velcro.