How do I sell carpet cleaning using a porty in a truck mount world?

SanDiego

Aug 4, 2009
Chula Vist, CA
Real Name
Ruben Wade
Business Location
United States
It feels kind of intimidating selling carpet cleaning when everyone wants to see a truck mount/van. I guess many people assume a truck mount does a better job. How do you compete against said opinions?:AddEmoticons04259:

Dave Y

Carpet Cleaner
Jul 14, 2008
Real Name
Dave Yokum
Business Location
United States
It's ultimately the man doing the cleaning that matters NOT the machine.

A truck mount may provide more productivity.

But, a portable can provide more security, less tripping hazards for long runs,No carbon monoxide, no drafts from inclement weather.

It's all good.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
It feels kind of intimidating ...

You said it, Ruben, I didn't. Most (not all) of your issues are between your two ears. Promote experience, promote quality, make Cheerleaders and IF someone asks why you don't use a TM just explain that "I find my machine gives me more power and control over the quality because I am closer to the job." (I know this is sort of gobbledygook but what marketing isn't?)

Steve
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Let me stress I'm not dissing TM's here. I owned many and ran four of them when I sold my company.

Another area you can enter is commercial work where much of it needs to be done with portables anyway due to security and length of hose run issues. If you go big time into commercial look seriously at encapsulation and a Cimex Cyclone. Here a good basic primer on how to break into contract commercial carpet cleaning ...

http://sfs.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com/755/resources/special-reports/sell-commercial

grimel

Apr 18, 2010
TN
Real Name
George Rimel
Business Location
United States
I was green before green was cool. My porty uses the area's renewable source of electricity (hydro electric), allows you to keep your doors shut (saving on reheating/cooling your house & no pets escaping), minimize the amount of water I have to haul around (less fuel), smaller vehicle (again, less fuel), and so on.

Commercial - do you really want to keep your doors open (banks it's HOW can you keep your doors open)? How about that 10th floor? I get the same results on the 31st floor as the 1st floor. Etc.

Reactions: aloha one

SanDiego

Aug 4, 2009
Chula Vist, CA
Real Name
Ruben Wade
Business Location
United States
I will say this much... I got a referral from a guy doing $80.00 specials for an apt. He couldn't do the third floor and referred me. When I asked how much he (the guy calling me to do the job) was expecting to pay, He told me the price he had been quoted. I told him... "my prices start at $100.00 for first floor units. Then my prices go up $10.00 per floor there after. Your price will be $120.00...

He scheduled it for an 8 am cleaning the next day.

Yeah. Porties have advantages.

Reactions: LarryJones
I will say this much... I got a referral from a guy doing $80.00 specials for an apt. He couldn't do the third floor and referred me. When I asked how much he (the guy calling me to do the job) was expecting to pay, He told me the price he had been quoted. I told him... "my prices start at $100.00 for first floor units. Then my prices go up $10.00 per floor there after. Your price will be $120.00...

He scheduled it for an 8 am cleaning the next day.

Yeah. Porties have advantages.
I cleaned in San Diego for years with a porty. If you know your trade and are well versed in cleaning principals there should no problem explaining to the customer that you can and will do just as good a job or better. Remember: "Is it the carpenter or the tool?". Best of luck to you bro...you should do fine and remember that portables are part of the industry and your world is what you believe it to be.
http://www.wilmingtoncarpetcare.com

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
I never had to explain because customers never asked! All they care about is whether you can do the job! they are not concerned with your equipment as much as your ability to do the job to their satisfaction! Wow them and they will call you back regardless if you clean with a garden hose and shop vac

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
This is an easy one, IMHO. However, I will not offer information because of this particular topic and the fact that "someone" (who always seems to post behind my comments!--LOL)" will twist what I would say by turning it into a sales thread.

Unfortunate for those who require the right information and answer(s).

Best to all;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
I would say buy a portable that looks impressive and professional to the customer , a Nautilus Extreme for example and bring it to the front porch or close to the work site ... dont leave a twin vac in the van and pretend its a truckmount .

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Alot of my new work insists on TM. My repeats expect it. Not saying you can't do top quality with a porty .. cause you can.
Not turning this in to a TM vs Porty thing.
Again go after the work a TM can't reach.
Those high rise apartment/condo's also have upholstery to clean. Hard to reach commercial work ... it's out there to. If a potential residential custy want's a TM.. sometimes it's hard to change their mind. Go after the work were they are expecting a porty.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
This is an easy one, IMHO. However, I will not offer information because of this particular topic and the fact that "someone" (who always seems to post behind my comments!--LOL)" will twist what I would say by turning it into a sales thread.

Unfortunate for those who require the right information and answer(s).

Best to all;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

Well Ed he made his comment even when you did not offer any information on this
subject. The man with no name. He is one who brought it up so I will comment briefly
about the subject of having a powerful enough portable to leave in ones van or
a trailter etc...... It is and has been done over many years now. Many of you know this
and already formed opinions about whether it is something you would want or not.
Now we have the more powerful vacuum motors which thanks to Jim Morrow has
extensively tested his setup for all to see. He has put it on video and tested it I believe
50 feet ,100 feet , 150 feet and did a test also using his inline /portable power booster. .
The question is not whether or not we can do this but just how far can we go as far
as how much vacuum hose we may use. This is not for everybody. But clearly some
have decided to go this route.
In any event we need portables from time to time to get to those unreachable places.
We can do a very nice job using high quality chemicals ,methods and equipment.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Jeff Madsen

Sep 7, 2009
Lincoln, Ne
lincoln-area-rug-cleaning.com
Real Name
Jeff Madsen
Business Location
United States
The interesting thing about this thread is how quickly it turned into an "equipment" thread. Instead of worrying about your equipment (your concerns about marketplace acceptance are certainly valid), take a look at your marketing. How are you presenting yourself to the client? As a carpet cleaner, or as a solution provider? As a carpet cleaner, or as a valuable resource when it comes to caring for and specifying textiles? Do you send a thank you to your new clients? Do you send a thank you to those you give an estimate to? Do you send a thank you to those who refer you? Do you have a referral reward program? Do you have a newsletter? These are things, in combination with your overall professionalism, that will set you apart from your competition.

Professional, successful people want to deal with other professionals. It doesn't matter whether you're the CPA, the attorney, or the carpet cleaner. Be the professional - everything else will sort itself out.

Reactions: Ed Valentine