How do I get rid from the Carpet Odor which sustained the Water Damage? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How do I get rid from the Carpet Odor which sustained the Water Damage?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
  1. Find the source of the odor.
  2. Remove the source of the odor.
Generally if there is odor following water damage restoration something is still wet. Find what is wet and either remove it or get it clean and dry.

Ventilation with fresh air can get old odors out of the air.

Vaportek or Hydrocide are some options to put the finishing touches on a job after steps 1 and 2.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Your other recent question was about mold on marble. Sounds like maybe you've had a water loss...? If you're not trained to handle it, may I suggest finding a partner who is that can come help you.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
When did it sustain the damage? What category and class? What was your final completion on your dry logs?

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
Depending on the loss sometimes the padding can be saved. Could be anything from microbial growth to stagnant air. Generally water damage has a water damage smell. But if your doing things improperly your opening yourself up to losses that will far exceed your profits... for a general smell we have insurance approve ozone.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
also if carpet and pad is not dried in 1-2 days you may have odor.........

many times there is a water damage in the same location with old pad and old carpet...especially with water heater overflows or rain damage in the same location....

baseboards were not removed and mold is reactivated behind....them......

best to replace as much as possible....

antimicrobial aplication...!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
  1. Find the source of the odor.
  2. Remove the source of the odor.
Generally if there is odor following water damage restoration something is still wet. Find what is wet and either remove it or get it clean and dry.

Ventilation with fresh air can get old odors out of the air.

Vaportek or Hydrocide are some options to put the finishing touches on a job after steps 1 and 2.
You sound like my water remediation iicrc instructor lol
Whenever you take on a situation where our job is flooded it is not just about removing the water and drying it out it's about preventing it from stinking in the first place
Drying it fast after the water is removed is key
I personally prefer using heated air systems vs. traditional dehumidifiers but dehumidifiers do the job 2

This all being said you get that stinky sour rancid carpet smell most likely it's from the carpet being left wet too long so the procedure I follow is peel the carpet back clean the subfloor and pad dry subfloor and pad then clean carpet (I know it's a lot of work)
Now if you roll back the carpet and you feel like you're going to pass out from the odor of the pad just tossed the pad clean the subfloor replace the pad.

I have a nightmare story where I went through a lot of work and end up finding a dead raccoon in the vent use your nose and find the source

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
You sound like my water remediation iicrc instructor lol
Whenever you take on a situation where our job is flooded it is not just about removing the water and drying it out it's about preventing it from stinking in the first place
Drying it fast after the water is removed is key
I personally prefer using heated air systems vs. traditional dehumidifiers but dehumidifiers do the job 2

This all being said you get that stinky sour rancid carpet smell most likely it's from the carpet being left wet too long so the procedure I follow is peel the carpet back clean the subfloor and pad dry subfloor and pad then clean carpet (I know it's a lot of work)
Now if you roll back the carpet and you feel like you're going to pass out from the odor of the pad just tossed the pad clean the subfloor replace the pad.

I have a nightmare story where I went through a lot of work and end up finding a dead raccoon in the vent use your nose and find the source
If your using just heat your not removing moisture like a dehu does. Your simply increasing the relative humidity that the air can take. Without stripping the water from the air you could possibly be wetting other areas.... I'm sure you know this... I'm posting this for the guy who would read your post and thinks he can place a heater instead of dehu.

Reactions: PATRICK YANELLO

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
If your using just heat your not removing moisture like a dehu does. Your simply increasing the relative humidity that the air can take. Without stripping the water from the air you could possibly be wetting other areas.... I'm sure you know this... I'm posting this for the guy who would read your post and thinks he can place a heater instead of dehu.
Well you need to educate yourself on this we've been using tes quite a few years now I've been cleaning carpet for over 22 years I know what I'm talkin about
Screenshot_20190216-223812_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20190216-223805_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20190216-223809_Chrome~2.jpg

your good sons

Apr 11, 2011
Real Name
bye
Business Location
United States
More times than not, I pull the carpet and roll up little strips and place in the dumpster. Today's carpet buyer is buying <$2 per sf most of the time. Even if it was >$10 per sf say 10+ years ago, what is it's depreciated value today? You can't save everything. Thirty years ago I drove a subcompact rice burner. It was 10 years old and had problems. Real problems. I was rear ended by a medium duty dump truck, like a F-450 in heavy traffic. I ended up rear ending the car in front of me.
It had to be towed. The garage asked why I didn't want an estimate. I said because the value of the car was about $2,000 before the accident. I was not at fault. The other driver was ticketed for following too close. I wasn't going to repair it. The adjuster totaled it. Found a scrap buyer who would pay $200 for it. They cut me a check for $1,800. Nobody realistically would have considered repairing it.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
Im very familiar with the tes system. And whereas I've not been cleaning carpet as long as you, I do own 2 restoration companies and 1 carpet cleaning. Simply put placing a heater and an air mover in a flooded room doesn't cut the mustard... I don't care if you heat it to 200f... now on large losses we may create a negative drying chamber of humidity is low outside... the picture you attached has a large dehu sitting in the middle of rm.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States

Heated drying chamber with negative exhaust from last week.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Im very familiar with the tes system. And whereas I've not been cleaning carpet as long as you, I do own 2 restoration companies and 1 carpet cleaning. Simply put placing a heater and an air mover in a flooded room doesn't cut the mustard... I don't care if you heat it to 200f... now on large losses we may create a negative drying chamber of humidity is low outside... the picture you attached has a large dehu sitting in the middle of rm.
I don't know where you got the impression I don't use dehumidifiers when something is flooded you need to go with the proper technique for the given circumstances as a professional you should understand that

I would think if you are familiar with the tes system you would understand you have to vent the room in order for it to work properly maybe you should watch some educational videos on how to use it you would find it very beneficial
I also never stated that you simply put a heater in the room. Lol
Hasn't given me an issue in 20 years lol

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
I don't know where you got the impression I don't use dehumidifiers when something is flooded you need to go with the proper technique for the given circumstances as a professional you should understand that

I would think if you are familiar with the tes system you would understand you have to vent the room in order for it to work properly maybe you should watch some educational videos on how to use it you would find it very beneficial
I also never stated that you simply put a heater in the room. Lol
Hasn't given me an issue in 20 years lol
I got the impression from your first post which stated heated vs dehu. And like I said in first post it wasn't directed twords you. Rather the new guy who doesn't know better but to throw a heater and air mover in a rm. Have a good night bud.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I got the impression from your first post which stated heated vs dehu. And like I said in first post it wasn't directed twords you. Rather the new guy who doesn't know better but to throw a heater and air mover in a rm. Have a good night bud.
You too man
And honestly The New Guy start now should get education first either work with someone that has done it for a long time or take a class
have a great night hopefully we don't get any of those phone calls lol
Actually I love those calls they pay the bills and then some lol

Reactions: Scott W

Qman

Feb 7, 2017
Real Name
Quentin Tebb
I love the ETES, but one needs to make sure that it is installed correctly. One of my guys didn't apply the speed of evaporation when he floated a large multi-room carpet with it. He had 2 DH's installed which would have been fine under normal circumstances but it kicked the humidity up to 75% @ 100 degrees in 8hr's.

We don't use them anywhere near as much as I would like simply because 80% of the places are occupied at the time and most people aren't interested in paying their deductibles to move out (most of my work is strata work). This somewhat limits my usage to only jobs where dehumidifiers can't keep the high temp.