How do I attract, interview and hire the right people for the job? | Page 7 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How do I attract, interview and hire the right people for the job?

Discussion in 'Hiring & Training Employees' started by Mike Krall, Apr 9, 2016.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,290 / 15 / -0
    I was hoping that you being a manager could shed some light on the subject. ;)

I just interviewed a kid. He's on SSI and can only work 20 hours a week. How does that work, the government is only half committed?

Here's a million dollar idea: offer an interview test service. The potential employer logs in with their webcam and someone on the other end conducts the interview and administers some tests and you pay for the results.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,290 / 15 / -0
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rick Imby

Rick Imby Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Montana
    Ratings:
    +2,702 / 56 / -0
    Ok Mike I won't beat you up anymore---

But how long the guy has worked for you does not matter if he is awesome---pay him what he is worth and keep him.

I would keep in contact with him, try to get him to come back to work....

Right now I have a job in one of my apartments I am calling an old employee and asking if he wants 25 an hour for 5 or six hours..... shitty job I don't want to do----

• Like Like x 1
  4. sforsmann

sforsmann Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    How about giving money to 153 countries? Time to start calling your congressman and senator!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using TMF Forums mobile app

5. sforsmann

sforsmann Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Well,
    I usually drink a 5th,
    To reduce that, I usually eat a hot dog.
    Then I hit up my street pharmacy for some oxytocin, do I get the job?
    I can start tomorrow after noonish!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using TMF Forums mobile app

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,758 / 106 / -0
    Still Laughing! :p:p:p

7. LookNGood

LookNGood Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,103 / 14 / -0
    ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1460603038.833019.jpg

Like these speed demons?

Ugh the gif didn't load...they are speed walkers...you get it

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,758 / 106 / -0
    Gay Sprinters? Bullets are Faster! lol

9. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,290 / 15 / -0
    Rick I thought I counter punched pretty good and didn't get beat up :p

If I was paying under the table or even better giving out 1099s I feel your advise would be super. As an employer conducting business in a recklessly run state that hands out benefits like candy and up until this year had to borrow money from the feds to keep their unemployment program floating I cannot just hand money out to employees at whim.

If and under my own self admission of being a poor judge of charter in the interview room just started guys out at $25/hour and they played me and the system of unemployment (It's happened to me before) I'd be on the hook for 2.5 years of payouts along with the hit to my UI rating.

I'm working with a set amount of revenue, I cannot conduct business like the government and I have to reward people based on ability, commitment, and character over a long term otherwise when they go from great employee to what was I thinking (Hi Markus Lemonis :D) of hiring them employee I end up paying for it.

This kid that quit did so in the middle of the job and left me and my other employees hanging. I will not contact him again and if he contacts me despite his abilities I will direct at him some colorful adjectives and keep our relationship severed.

I will take your advise on other previous employees and have already contacted one, thanks ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. chubby

chubby Active Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +268 / 3 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. chubby

chubby Active Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +268 / 3 / -0
  12. Mr. Esteamy

Mr. Esteamy Active Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Male
    Owner
    California
    Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I know this thread is a year old but I find myself in the same position of needing quality guys. It's been difficult to say the least. I agree with all you said Mike. You simply cannot invest in someone who is willing to walk out on the job just to collect unemployment. Eventually they will do the same thing to you. I would prefer to not hire people who have ever collected unemployment. Someone who has integrity and is worth hiring , will keep their job or find another right away and will not resort to extorting their x employer. All that being said I wonder how your doing now and if you found some quality guys

• Like Like x 1
  13. andrek60

andrek60 Member

May 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    So I hired my first employee. Aside from him working way slower and over wetting the carpet sometimes because he wanted "to do a good job", over all for the 2 weeks he's been working for me he has had some great customer reviews, but I had to take off about 5 jobs a week from him because he wasn't keeping up with the schedule, and then over the weekend he went home sick after only 2 jobs and said he has a stomach ulcer. So I gave him the following two days off and told him to call me in the morning real early if he can't come in on day 3. He didn't call and after sending him several messages and leaving a voice mail, I never got a call back and still haven't heard from him. This is day 2 of no call no show.

I was afraid that will happen with hiring employees, and it did. Now I'm thinking of what to do next, do I go back to owner operator or try again with another person. I was just about to buy a second van when this all went down. If I do hire again, does anyone know what's the best place to look ? I tried facebook jobs groups, of course CL produced idiots. yeah, idk

14. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +8,044 / 42 / -0
    Mcdonalds

15. jasdavis09

jasdavis09 Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Best question to ask a previous employer is if the person you are calling about is eligible for re hire or not

16. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +8,044 / 42 / -0
    against the law

17. jasdavis09

jasdavis09 Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Hiring good people is simple. Find good people and pay them a good wage. 10 11 12 isn't cutting it. The money just doesn't go that far. People especially younger generation folks. Want to make a difference in a work place and see that they have a future.

18. jasdavis09

jasdavis09 Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Indeed.com is a great source and it is free

19. carolinasurface

carolinasurface Active Member

May 14, 2010
    SC
    Ratings:
    +63 / 2 / -0
    It isn't in my state. That is classic question for HR - dates of employment and eligible for rehire

20. jasdavis09

jasdavis09 Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Might be against the law in some states to answer but not to ask