How do I attract, interview and hire the right people for the job? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

How do I attract, interview and hire the right people for the job?

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Nothing special at the moment.

But I am looking into ways to invest in them as people. Help them grow. I am constantly learning, growing and evolving. I starting to demand that from my people.

I will start a book club in the next 2 months where they will read/listen to a books/audio books on personal development, leadership, team work and giving, etc.

Will start doing small things...birthday cards, team oriented goals with prizes, individual recognition for doing the "right work", helping train others, willingness to do extra.

Start to change the culture to one of team work and the greater good (us/team focused)...not just $$$ and hours worked (me focused).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Good stuff!

I need to put together a program to make it official. I'm always buying my guys pizza and drinks, extra days off, handing them cash when they do good. But I should set up a reward system for this.

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
@alohaone

They have to put skin in the game...they want more. They have to put in the work. I have skin in the game. Those are the rules to play on the team.

Doing it the other way. Hiring "experienced" but bad people is a game I am no willing to pay anymore.

Reactions: aloha one

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Good stuff!

I need to put together a program to make it official. I'm always buying my guys pizza and drinks, extra days off, handing them cash when they do good. But I should set up a reward system for this.
Fully Loaded SHOT GUN......8 rounds is Best.. Case ya Miss..Back Up is Good! Rewards are GOOD!
Sometimes....:rolleyes:

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
@alohaone

They have to put skin in the game...they want more. They have to put in the work. I have skin in the game. Those are the rules to play on the team.

Doing it the other way. Hiring "experienced" but bad people is a game I am no willing to pay anymore.

I'm reading your Mail Barrett I understand Every word you are saying and then some. Guess my point was a Tad CRUDE...if you will...But the Point I was trying to get across is that..WE Never Know who the Hell we are Employing..Talk is Cheap as are their "Certificates of Knowledge" ...
All a Bunch of Bull Shit until the Shit Hits the Fan.... Only Then..Shall you get a Glimpse of their Real Selves.

Reactions: Cleaning Concierge

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
I'm reading your Mail Barrett I understand Every word you are saying and then some. Guess my point was a Tad CRUDE...if you will...But the Point I was trying to get across is that..WE Never Know who the Hell we are Employing..Talk is Cheap as are their "Certificates of Knowledge" ...
All a Bunch of Bull Shit until the Shit Hits the Fan.... Only Then..Shall you get a Glimpse of their Real Selves.
Exactly

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
It is not for laughs I ask very basic questions to learn if they took their class just to get the certificate or in fact, they were invested in the training.

whats an oxidizer ?

what's a reducer ?

Describe a 5th generation carpet
IMHO only Scot W. has a full understanding and grip on handling of oxidizers and reducers , rest of us will use trial and error method, no wonder you can't find right people. . As a prerequisite, your applicants should drop some burgers and spill soda to study types of stains first . And what about thousand of Blue Crew and SS poor lads, they wouldn't qualify either.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
IMHO only Scot W. has a full understanding and grip on handling of oxidizers and reducers , rest of us will use trial and error method, no wonder you can't find right people. . As a prerequisite, your applicants should drop some burgers and spill soda to study types of stains first . And what about thousand of Blue Crew and SS poor lads, they wouldn't qualify either.
I don't understand what you mean...

@Pinosan ;) am I hired?

An oxidizer causes oxidation of a chemical, it is called an oxidizer because oxygen itself is the most common one. Oxidation is the gain of electrons through a chemical reaction.

A reducer causes reduction of a chemical. Reduction is the loss of electrons through a chemical reaction.

How it actually works on a stain is going to be different depending on the specific oxidizer/reducer and the stains as well.

5th generation carpet is stain, dye and static resistant

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
did you see the response above? it is all in your carpet cleaning guide you received whe you took the carpet cleaning class through the IICRC.

NO I'm not looking for the chemical explanation Joe posted. If a guy can tell me "Well, I can't really explain it but oxidizers usually remove red stains cause by organic matter like red wine and reducers can be used to remove kool aid"

That would be more than enough. on the fifth generation carpet I mean there was too much noise about it 15 years ago that even any home owner knows what it is . Don't you think a certified technician who works everyday on this type of carpet should be able to describe it?

PS People who work for me, are required to have a 4 hr classroom trainning where we talk about one or two topics. the following week we do a quiz on those and move on to the next two.

That is what makes them walk away I think,

Last edited:

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
@Luky

I took some minutes to think about a complete response because I did not want to just write and sound arrogant or be taken the wrong way.
This is in response of the blue crew or SS former employees you mentioned.
That people is the worst choice for one of us to hire for many different reasons and I'll give you at least one.

We, as owner operators who are looking for a helper can't offer what those large corporations offer. Sears even offers medical and dental care to their full time employees. Competitive salary and paid professional training just to mention some of the benefits the get while working for such companies.

The good employees they have, will not leave them to come and work for you or I (maybe you are a large enough company that offers the same I don't know so pardon me if I'm assuming wrong) doing the same being paid less and provided less benefits.

Usually, the bad apples who know they are about to loose their job are the people who want to move on. This are the ones who always cause trouble, don't follow directions and become a liability for the larger corporation and are about to be fired or already fired.

So, You need to watch out for that when hiring a guy who came from those places.

Now, if the case is that the prospect wants to keep his employment he is in need of additional hours and can't get them at the company he works for because the owner can't afford to pay OT or wants to keep his workers comp low, the story changes and believe me, they will be able to answer those questions and even more difficult ones.

that would be the people to talk to and say hey, from time to time I need extra help in my business would you be interested in picking up a shift or two? If you do call me.

When making those questions to certified technicians, I'm not looking for the right answer to be honest; I'm just trying to see if they are invested and have at least a clue of the products they will be handling on daily basis, Even if the answer is wrong or not so technical, that can give you an indication if the guy cares or does not care.

I have talked to lots of guys who put on the table their certifications. Have been working for the most reputable franchises for over 10 years, clean leather, tile, marble you mention it, they do it all, yet when asked to describe a chenille, all they answer is.. HUH! well, my boss never thought me that!

this is a ridiculous one:

Me: our everyday pre-spray is about 10.5 PH would this be consider and acidic product ?
The guy: oh yes is it s pretty safe oh yeah 10 ph definitely acidic and very safe for any fabric.

That is the type of people who are fired or (according to them) quit from more established places and they could and will mean the ruin of any smaller business.

So, If the questions I ask my prospects are some what too hard to respond in your opinion. I'm sorry buddy I'm looking for trainable inexperienced guys who would love to be able to answer those questions and more, or for experienced guys who take their job and responsibilities seriously, even if they want to just pick up extra hrs working for me and keep their regular full time job.

I hope this does not offend you and helps you think on how to hire people or maintain you current employees sharp like a razor blade.

Reactions: LookNGood

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I don't understand what you mean...

@Pinosan ;) am I hired?

An oxidizer causes oxidation of a chemical, it is called an oxidizer because oxygen itself is the most common one. Oxidation is the gain of electrons through a chemical reaction.

A reducer causes reduction of a chemical. Reduction is the loss of electrons through a chemical reaction.

How it actually works on a stain is going to be different depending on the specific oxidizer/reducer and the stains as well.

5th generation carpet is stain, dye and static resistant
Exactly, and what you going to use first, if the source of the stain is unknown? Playing Russian roulette?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
@Luky

I took some minutes to think about a complete response because I did not want to just write and sound arrogant or be taken the wrong way.
This is in response of the blue crew or SS former employees you mentioned.
That people is the worst choice for one of us to hire for many different reasons and I'll give you at least one.

We, as owner operators who are looking for a helper can't offer what those large corporations offer. Sears even offers medical and dental care to their full time employees. Competitive salary and paid professional training just to mention some of the benefits the get while working for such companies.

The good employees they have, will not leave them to come and work for you or I (maybe you are a large enough company that offers the same I don't know so pardon me if I'm assuming wrong) doing the same being paid less and provided less benefits.

Usually, the bad apples who know they are about to loose their job are the people who want to move on. This are the ones who always cause trouble, don't follow directions and become a liability for the larger corporation and are about to be fired or already fired.

So, You need to watch out for that when hiring a guy who came from those places.

Now, if the case is that the prospect wants to keep his employment he is in need of additional hours and can't get them at the company he works for because the owner can't afford to pay OT or wants to keep his workers comp low, the story changes and believe me, they will be able to answer those questions and even more difficult ones.

that would be the people to talk to and say hey, from time to time I need extra help in my business would you be interested in picking up a shift or two? If you do call me.

When making those questions to certified technicians, I'm not looking for the right answer to be honest; I'm just trying to see if they are invested and have at least a clue of the products they will be handling on daily basis, Even if the answer is wrong or not so technical, that can give you an indication if the guy cares or does not care.

I have talked to lots of guys who put on the table their certifications. Have been working for the most reputable franchises for over 10 years, clean leather, tile, marble you mention it, they do it all, yet when asked to describe a chenille, all they answer is.. HUH! well, my boss never thought me that!

this is a ridiculous one:

Me: our everyday pre-spray is about 10.5 PH would this be consider and acidic product ?
The guy: oh yes is it s pretty safe oh yeah 10 ph definitely acidic and very safe for any fabric.

That is the type of people who are fired or (according to them) quit from more established places and they could and will mean the ruin of any smaller business.

So, If the questions I ask my prospects are some what too hard to respond in your opinion. I'm sorry buddy I'm looking for trainable inexperienced guys who would love to be able to answer those questions and more, or for experienced guys who take their job and responsibilities seriously, even if they want to just pick up extra hrs working for me and keep their regular full time job.

I hope this does not offend you and helps you think on how to hire people or maintain you current employees sharp like a razor blade.
You said it very well and with a tone, nobody can find offensive. Being assertive, that's another thing we can learn from each other, while expressing our views on TMF.

Reactions: Pinosan

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
i just lost a great worker yesterday because his unemployment came through from his last job and he decided he'd rather sit on his ass then work.
OK I am calling you out on this Mike---you are a great guy but this is your fault as I see it-----I may have missed something here, correct me if I am wrong.

If you were paying him descent wages on the books and working him he cannot file for unemployment.

If you were paying him "under the table" then you are getting what you deserve.

If he is a great worker you should be paying him significantly more than he is getting unemployment. If he is a great worker Pay the Dude and Keep him around.....

Reactions: Mike Krall

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
OK I am calling you out on this Mike---you are a great guy but this is your fault as I see it-----I may have missed something here, correct me if I am wrong.

If you were paying him descent wages on the books and working him he cannot file for unemployment.

If you were paying him "under the table" then you are getting what you deserve.

If he is a great worker you should be paying him significantly more than he is getting unemployment. If he is a great worker Pay the Dude and Keep him around.....
Here goes Rick,

I just hired him a month ago. As I said I'm not the greatest interview person so I didn't ask him about his other job as to why he doesn't work there anymore.

From another employee I was told his being fired from the other place was in dispute. That he did 20 hours of overtime a week there and that he finally won his unemployment case. So I believe NYS maxes out at $500/week on unemployment. I can't match that on a new employee at 20-25 hours a week.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I remember hearing about a company that was taking applications once at 1pm on a given day. 1 minute after; the doors were locked. The applications were handed out and they asked if anyone needed a pencil. All those who raised their hands were asked to leave. I imagine those two things weeded out quite a few people.

I have often thought about little tests like that to weed out some of the lazy people. One might be to put an ad in the paper that simply says "we're taking applications at this address from this time to this time". No phone number. If they are too lazy to stop by; they are too lazy to have a job.
I also thought about not having any pencils or pens around so when I hand them the application to fill out; if they don't have something to write with; they just have to go home. When they look at me funny I'll just tell them it's part of the test and if they aren't prepared ; they can't work here.
These are important little tests that help weed out lazy people.
Another one is to ask them how to make a peanut butter sandwich. See how much detail they give.
Employment history. Get them to talk about their last job (or the one before that). Let them talk. Read between the lines. If it was always (or mostly) someone elses fault; they may not be willing to take responsibility.
What didn't they like; what did they like? Do they use (I) more than (we)? They may not be a team player.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I remember hearing about a company that was taking applications once at 1pm on a given day. 1 minute after; the doors were locked. The applications were handed out and they asked if anyone needed a pencil. All those who raised their hands were asked to leave. I imagine those two things weeded out quite a few people.

I have often thought about little tests like that to weed out some of the lazy people. One might be to put an ad in the paper that simply says "we're taking applications at this address from this time to this time". No phone number. If they are too lazy to stop by; they are too lazy to have a job.
I also thought about not having any pencils or pens around so when I hand them the application to fill out; if they don't have something to write with; they just have to go home. When they look at me funny I'll just tell them it's part of the test and if they aren't prepared ; they can't work here.
Another one is to ask them how to make a peanut butter sandwich. See how much detail they give.
Employment history. Get them to talk about their last job (or the one before that). Let them talk. Read between the lines. If it was always (or mostly) someone elses fault; they may not be willing to take responsibility.
What didn't they like; what did they like? Do they use (I) more than (we)? They may not be a team player.
Super concept but a Bit Over Kill...so much with todays society just might get you KILLED! lol No pen here but I have a GLOCK.... or if he brings a buddy.."WE" have Glocks!

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States

I used to have one like that when I was hiring janitorial employees on my last job, I'm a fast walker so I would purposely show them around and if they couldn't keep up with me, they were gone.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
That's hardly fair Jose...You have 4 legs! lol
lol, that explains a lot. Maybe they were pretending they were walking the dog. Slow walking employees who are always walking behind you, irritate the shit out of me.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
lol, that explains a lot. Maybe they were pretending they were walking the dog. Slow walking employees who are always walking behind you, irritate the shit out of me.
I hear ya Bro..always been a super fast walker myself.